Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
safe? I'm not sure I understand your question. ABRP is a good tool to see in advance how a trip would look like, what types of stops you would need to do etc. As long as you provide it with the proper data in the advanced settings. You don't need to follow that "plan" once you actually do the trip, you can stop where you want, but it gives a good idea.

Upvote 0
Is A ‌Better‌ ‌Route‌ ‌Planner‌ ABRP any good
Definitely good. It is one of the top 2 electric car route planners. I prefer the interface of www.evtripplanner.com better myself, but it is older and not updated much, so they don't have profiles built in for a lot of the newer Tesla models to estimate their energy usage as well. But for my old S85, it works really well.

and is it safe and trustworthy?
Well, it's just a website. So it's as safe as using any website. You can just type in whatever values you want, have it calculate something, and check the results. There's no personal information there, so yeah, it's safe.

There is a secondary, more detailed function that you may be asking about though, where you can do some kind of interface into it so it uses the for real, actual consumption values of your particular car. I can see why that would be something to question, but it has also seemed really unnecessary and over the top to me, so I wouldn't consider using that feature anyway. But a lot of people use it, and it's well known, so I am fairly sure it's trustworthy too, anyway.

Upvote 0
ABRP is great. It gives you a decent understanding of battery usage, where your Superchargers are, and allows you to play with variables (passengers, luggage weight, temperature, wind, elevation changes). Once I've planned out a route I'm happy with, I'll tend to build it into my Tesla nav system (using waypoints), rather than letting the car decide when it actually wants me to charge. Never had a problem yet!

Reactions: JaxY and Rocky_H
Upvote 0