Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip through LA help - recommended Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we're making the annual family soccer trek from San Diego to Lancaster this weekend and looking at the different charger stops in LA before dawn on a Saturday.

Abetterrouteplanner likes the Burbank charger, but maybe the 15 (Rancho Cucamonga) or 215 (Riverside or SB) route would work just as well.

I'll need a solid charge to get us (fully loaded P3D) to Lancaster with some juice in reserve, since there's no supercharger in the area. I don't want to fight for spots at 7am and if any LA or SoCal folks have experience and thoughts about location options or the route for the purpose of time, I would appreciate it. I've only been to the Lake Elsinore and Riverside locations previously and Lake Elsinore is basically the full 120 kW every time with no one there, while Riverside was slow even when empty. Thanks in advance as anything will help.

Speaking solely to the supercharger sites, I’d probably favor Burbank. Rancho Cucamonga is a 24/7 circus, you WILL wait there for a spot, sometimes quite a while.

Riverside are urban chargers I think, which might explain why they’re always “slow”? Haven’t been to that one yet.

Reactions: evpulse
I'd tend to just watch the status of each station as you get in the area.

Thanks, but unfortunately the decision for either freeway is about 100 miles before the "area". LA can be a mess.

Speaking solely to the supercharger sites, I’d probably favor Burbank. Rancho Cucamonga is a 24/7 circus, you WILL wait there for a spot, sometimes quite a while.

Riverside are urban chargers I think, which might explain why they’re always “slow”? Haven’t been to that one yet.

Thanks for the Cucamonga info heads up. I'm not sure why Riverside was severely limited with only 4-5 cars there, but it was painfully slow, so I'll try to avoid the urban ones if I can. As long as Burbank is not a crazy mad house like San Diego (Qualcomm), then that prob is the better option. I've been watching the sites from the map each morning to get a feel, but its hard to gauge.

I have always found that if you're early enough to beat the few locals who are charging up before work, you'll be fine. Since you're already planning "before dawn", you might make it "a little earlier before dawn". Unfortunately, Tesla encourages local people to use the superchargers, where it used to be a way to charge on trips. As I have a good 250 - 270 miles of range (don't have to go in the fast lane at 80 mph), I wouldn't worry about it at all. But that's me.

Reactions: evpulse