Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip wh/mi and Energy App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JimmyJP

Jul 28, 2023
UK
Hi, how does the wh/mi displayed on the Trip screen correlate to the info shown in the Energy app?

I’ve just done a 136 mile round trip in my new M3 RWD averaging 225 wh/mi, using a total of 30.6kWh. In the Energy app, this used 54.1% of the battery, 50% of which was against Driving.

Does the 30.6kWh relate to the total of 54.1% or 50.0%? If the 54.1%, this would make the usable battery capacity about 56.5kWh - does that sound right?

I don't believe that is accurate. I am pretty sure the consumption graph shows al power used while in a driving mode(Drive, Reverse, Hold...), just not while in Park.
I think you may be confusing Trip Card readings with Consumption graph. The Trip Card readings show all power used when in gear.

Also the Trip Graph shows all power used, breaking it down in percentage. The Consumption Graph is wheel power only.

When monitoring Consumption Graph versus Trip Card, the Trip Card is always 5-10 Wh/mi higher since it includes AC/Heat.

Upvote 0
I think you may be confusing Trip Card readings with Consumption graph. The Trip Card readings show all power used when in gear.

Also the Trip Graph shows all power used, breaking it down in percentage. The Consumption Graph is wheel power only.

When monitoring Consumption Graph versus Trip Card, the Trip Card is always 5-10 Wh/mi higher since it includes AC/Heat.

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here... the graph/graphs that have the 5, 15 and 30 mile histories, no matter whether you are navigating a route or not, will account(last I checked) for all power used while in a driving mode. This can easily be seen in the winter time when using the heat.

You saying that the Trip card is "5-10Wh/mi" higher shows that you may be confused. AC generally uses more power than 5-10Wh/mile and heat definitely uses more than that.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0
I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here... the graph/graphs that have the 5, 15 and 30 mile histories, no matter whether you are navigating a route or not, will account(last I checked) for all power used while in a driving mode. This can easily be seen in the winter time when using the heat.

You saying that the Trip card is "5-10Wh/mi" higher shows that you may be confused. AC generally uses more power than 5-10Wh/mile and heat definitely uses more than that.
Originally, from my understanding, the Energy Consumption Graph only showed power to the wheels. Maybe it was updated to show all power. I thought they added the Energy Trip Graph to show the additional energy uses. I obviously could be wrong.

When I say my Trip consumption is usually 5-10 wh/m higher, I was referring to long trips. Once the cabin temp is reached, it does not take much to maintain. Of course, Heat could be higher. I live on the NC coast so moderate temps. I do not see a lot of really cold temps.

Upvote 0
Originally, from my understanding, the Energy Consumption Graph only showed power to the wheels. Maybe it was updated to show all power. I thought they added the Energy Trip Graph to show the additional energy uses. I obviously could be wrong.

When I say my Trip consumption is usually 5-10 wh/m higher, I was referring to long trips. Once the cabin temp is reached, it does not take much to maintain. Of course, Heat could be higher. I live on the NC coast so moderate temps. I do not see a lot of really cold temps.

The graphs have ALWAYS shown all power while in a driving mode.

Not going to go too deep with the 5-10Wh/mi statement except that is way to low as an average in my opinion. That equates to a 300-700kW load which I think is too low even for a cabin temp maintenance load. Up her in DC yesterday I had a maintenance load of 2kW for AC after 45 minutes of driving. Maybe the new heat pumps are WAY more efficient but I don't think so, not for AC.

Now this all isn't really the point here anyway. The point is that the graphs do account for that energy and you can easily make a scenario to actually see it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
For the newbies tracking:
Energy consumption is all energy used
Trip consumption is wheel movement energy used
I’m please confirm

ALL the GRAPHS and all the TRIP counters show ALL energy while in a driving mode, whether movement energy or accessory use or AC/Heat, or other.

The only thing that breaks down different energy usage is the chart that explicitly identifies different energy usages(Driving, Climate control, elevation changes, etc.)

Upvote 0