Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trips and supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm not quite clear how people use this. You set the nave for your destination in the car I assume and then you use the ABRP app on the phone for the drive as well?
I don't ever use one of those online trip planners while on the drive. That's redundant and cumbersome. The car calculates all the stuff in realtime while you are on the trip.

Those online ones are just to do a little pre-planning to see what is going to decently work or not work, get a ballpark approximation of how long the entire thing would take, including charging stops, or to evaluate if you have to go across a larger gap that is not a standard Supercharger-covered interstate.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
ABRP gives a good estimate of stop time.

The best way to actually do the stop is to start charging and then enter the next Supercharger on the ABRP list as the next destination. The nav will then let you know when you have your 10%-20% margin and are ready to go. Left on its own, the nav will tend to make fewer, longer, stops that will increase your travel time a little bit.

We usually try for 15% left at destination, but 10% will be a bit quicker. The thing that makes it "safe" is that you can watch it as you drive and slow down a few MPH if it drops below your target. No need for super accuracy.

On a related note. I'm heading to Chattanooga from NY next week and took a look at the route. Why on Earth would it tell me to stop at a Supercharger for 0 minutes?

IMG_1048.jpg