Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble ordering from Sales Advisor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to purchase a new Model X from my local store (Walnut Creek, CA). I have had THE WORST luck so far! The first Sales Advisor I was assigned was not a personality match for me. If I am buying this expensive of a car, I need someone I am compatible with to answer my questions. I got switched to a different advisor who was pretty great. He didn't have the car in stock that I wanted, I got back to him with a couple of questions about ordering, asked how to proceed with the order and haven't heard since. Should I go into the store and ask for a third advisor, go to a different store all together or just be patient? I feel like each day I wait to order is a day later that I will get my car. I am hesitant about ordering on-line, I would like to order directly from the store. Any information, advise, insight or direction is appreciated.

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I am trying to purchase a new Model X from my local store (Walnut Creek, CA). I have had THE WORST luck so far! The first Sales Advisor I was assigned was not a personality match for me. If I am buying this expensive of a car, I need someone I am compatible with to answer my questions. I got switched to a different advisor who was pretty great. He didn't have the car in stock that I wanted, I got back to him with a couple of questions about ordering, asked how to proceed with the order and haven't heard since. Should I go into the store and ask for a third advisor, go to a different store all together or just be patient? I feel like each day I wait to order is a day later that I will get my car. I am hesitant about ordering on-line, I would like to order directly from the store. Any information, advise, insight or direction is appreciated.
Cheers!

No Tesla showroom ever has spec units "on the lot" to sell. Everything is built to order. Some folks have been able to buy a car off the showroom floor, the demonstrator they drove, or occasionally something available from a sale that did not complete for some reason. But those are the exceptions. Normal mode is to order from the web site. Some folks do this from their home, other folks order from the showroom, where an Advisor can assist. But the process and the web site is the same as ordering from home. Buying a Tesla is not like buying any other car.

Thank you for your reply DCGOO. The Advisor we are working with was looking for stock somehow and said we would likely have delivery in 48 hours if he could find. He put together a quote and was assuming going to place the order once he got approval from us but I haven't heard back from him. It's been kind of a mess and turn off so far.

Thank you for your reply DCGOO. The Advisor we are working with was looking for stock somehow and said we would likely have delivery in 48 hours if he could find. He put together a quote and was assuming going to place the order once he got approval from us but I haven't heard back from him. It's been kind of a mess and turn off so far.

Yes, it sounds like he is doing a nationwide inventory search. That also is not normal, but it can be faster if something is close enough to suit you. I considered that for maybe 5 minutes, but nothing was close enough. So I ordered new from home. There are so few options to the X, it really is pretty easy. But you can get the sales advisor to help if you need it.

Agree with @DCGOO, the best way to order is online especially if you have particular exterior color, interior color, and wheel choices in mind. That’s really all you need to decide on. If on the other hand you don’t really care about color and wheels and are looking for inventory, then it would make sense to work with a sales advisor at your local store.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Thanks a million commasign. I was sort of holding out for the SA because he offered me a comp of color upgrade. Maybe too good to be true since I haven't heard back after I found out the color and seat configuration I want isn't in stock.

Thanks a million commasign. I was sort of holding out for the SA because he offered me a comp of color upgrade. Maybe too good to be true since I haven't heard back after I found out the color and seat configuration I want isn't in stock.

You understand that NOTHING is in stock. Everything is built to order. Sometimes pending sales fall apart, resulting in some limited inventory, which Tesla tracks. But the normal way that 99% of orders are handled, is by a specific order. If you find something close to what you want, then you are lucky. But it is fairly rare. Good luck!

Did you test drive the car? I think this is the most decisive part of buying a new car.

I was looking for a car for my wife. We stopped there by curiosity, test it, and ordered on the spot.

We were looking for some other cars for about half the price, which would have been fine for her need,
but the instant we drove it, especially testing Auto Pilot in traffic, we felt the Kodak instant...

Show room is great to decide also for selecting body and seat color, white is really appealing but a little bit worrisome,
and in the case of the Model X, seat combination. The 6 seats seems the most practical, but the middle one are not folding....

So that the kind of help you can get from visiting a show room.
Otherwise going On-line is very straight forward. It took less than a week to get the car.
There after you mostly do everything from your app, like making appointments.

Next step is certainly to see how you can charge. Having a plug at home or work is really a must.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. I do understand the process. I did test drive the car and am in love with it and want it. According to my sales advisor, they do have stock. Also, I live in the Bay Area, about 30 minutes from the factory and 45 minutes from a HUGE Tesla lot. I guess I will hold out this afternoon to see if the SA comes through, really would like that comp paint upgrade that he says will come through in the mean time of my custom order delivery. Cheers

Be sure that the 'stock' is new, and not loaners, or whatever. That it has under the 50 miles mandated for new cars. And even then, I'd forget it. Also, personally, I'd never want to order from 'stock'. I'd be afraid it was a showroom 'floor' model and been sat in, crawled in, had the doors opened and closed (especially if a Model X!) a literal million times. No, thank you!

Ordering online now is two clicks, with the reduction in options, and we can answer your question better than he can. I sincerely guarantee you that. :D

Edit: My X I got in six weeks, after ordering 18 months ago, my 3 in three weeks. It depends when you order in the quarterly cycle. This isn't your grandfather's Detroit where you almost ordered from the factory. (Well, I used to do that, too, since I ordered weird options.... :).)

I would just order the car you want. No use in getting a compromise.

And BTW, regardless of if you order it in the showroom or at home you are going to go through the same website. Your pickup will likely be at the Fremont delivery center.

I order my car at the Dublin SC and picked up at Fremont. Do not expect the same car pickup experience you had with other cars, especially BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. It is a volume operation moving 20 cars an hour through.