Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a reasonably interesting design. I note that one of the few low-rated reviews complained about the inclusion of only one "glass" strap but that two were needed. Our Model Ss definitely will fall into that category.

It seems to me that such a glass strap likely will be stressing the Alcantara liner at its nether end, but only to the point of potentially providing a permanent dent or rub in a location not hugely evident. From what I could glean, the pano roof is not a factor one way or the other.

What concerns me more than anything else is the rub-wear on the paint surface that will occur, regardless of how carefully one follows the manufacturer's recommendation to keep vehicle surface and rubber mount clean. For our cars, the top "bar" is of little concern as that's across the glass window; and just maybe you could position the bottom "bar" across the license plate so that takes the brunt of rubbing. Not sure AHP would respond to such plate-concealing of course...

What are your concerns against a hitch installation. Cost? The lease situation?

....so when your lease is up you can sell me the hitch..... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

More seriously, I am looking into roof racks at the moment. And as an alternative to the provided roof mounts, I'm also intrigued at the vacuum mounts that came to prominence after Mr Musk mentioned them at the Model X reveal. There's a reason I have for not using the provided mount sites, but I'm still working on that. Hope to be able to show everyone the reason in the not too-distant future, but things are progressing slowly...sorry!

When I looked into installing a hitch for the same reason, it effectively required disassembling the entire back end and cutting an access hole in a panel on the underside of the car. The option of just folding down the rear seat and putting our 2 bikes in the back looked a lot better at that point.

D*y*mm! I sold my "original" Wildfire Fat Bike only a bit ago. It was made by whosiswhatsis in Wasilla - he built that bike for Pete Basinger, who used it to create the as-yet unbroken* 3d 5hr 40m record for the 350 mile Iditarod Trail Invitational. Pete couldn't afford to buy the bike, so I purchased it after the race. It was, and is, a gorgeous machine, but I had it as a marketing tool our business, and I can't say it was a huge success in that regard. I'm sure we could have come to a fine agreement....

*Jay Petervary beat?????