Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk not opening fully in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Over the last few days, since our weather has turned colder, I’ve noticed that when I open the trunk and lift it, the gas struts don’t open it fully, and I’m ending up banging my head on the not-fully-opened trunk :mad:

The cheapo Tesla gas struts must be losing power with the lower temperature.

As I rarely open the trunk other than by hand, I wasn’t going to bother with the stronger struts, but if I keep banging my head I think I’ll have to reconsider. Assuming I still have the mental capacity to do so! :)

Over the last few days, since our weather has turned colder, I’ve noticed that when I open the trunk and lift it, the gas struts don’t open it fully, and I’m ending up banging my head on the not-fully-opened trunk :mad:

As I rarely open the trunk other than by hand, I wasn’t going to bother with the stronger struts, but if I keep banging my head I think I’ll have to reconsider. Assuming I still have the mental capacity to do so! :)
haha, me too!

Got to love the ideal gas laws! Tempriture and pressure directly related means a struts not going to have enough pressure in there.

Reactions: Roy W.