Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Top panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vent also allows you to close the doors easily with the windows closed. Need a passage from the cabin into the trunk area.

The trunk opening does not impact that as the Model 3's have the same vents.

20190304_102924_resized.jpg

Yes, saw several on eBay the other day for that price and decided to pull the trigger!

I've only heard 1 person report back saying they didn't hear a sound difference with and without the trunk cover. I'd be really interested to drive on the highway in a recent build Model 3 to wonder if there is a large difference in sound compared to my 08/2018 build P3D+.

Almost all of these rear trunk cotton liners I can find online show they fit 2017-2019 Model 3. Is there any reason that would not fit a 2020? I don't think anything has really changed back there but correct me if I am wrong.

Has anyone with a 2018 model with the open cutout filled it in before covering with the top panel?

I just bought some kilmat/ dynamat to apply to the bare sheet metal on the roof of the trunk. I currently have that area covered with the top panel mat but i feel like a lot of noise is still coming through the parcel shelf cutout.

And what's odd was the vent disappearing in later builds... I would have thought just the opposite would have occurred. Anyway, it remains a mystery!

Sorry to bring this from the dead, but anyone knows for sure why Tesla had that opening on previous M3 and just closed it in late MY19 and MY20 cars?
Do all the cars with the open trunk top make more noise than the newer ones?? (i think it's generally accepted that MY20 M3 are quieter than older ones, but does it have, or also have, to do with this???)

I'm asking because i have a MY19 (with the open top trunk) ordered and ready for delivery, but i'm getting cold feet mainly because of this....

Sorry to bring this from the dead, but anyone knows for sure why Tesla had that opening on previous M3 and just closed it in late MY19 and MY20 cars?
Do all the cars with the open trunk top make more noise than the newer ones?? (i think it's generally accepted that MY20 M3 are quieter than older ones, but does it have, or also have, to do with this???)

I'm asking because i have a MY19 (with the open top trunk) ordered and ready for delivery, but i'm getting cold feet mainly because of this....
Mine was a June 2019 build and the parcel shelf was solid metal. I still installed a liner as well.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Thank you guys and i hear you XL, but i can't help feeling my car will probably make more road noise because of this....
Does anyone know if the improved road noise because of new window sill rubber happened before this trunk thing or is it related and happened at the same time?

I think from what I've read the trunk was converted to solid metal around mid 2019 but the "improved cabin noise" cars started late 2019 around October. Also, this was the first year that Tesla started producing the next model year (2020) cars in the current year so it may coincide with that. These are inexact but I think 10/19 was around when Elon tweeted out that they had improved cabin noise, what that entails other than closing the trunk port and maybe a change to seals, no one knows exactly.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
I think from what I've read the trunk was converted to solid metal around mid 2019 but the "improved cabin noise" cars started late 2019 around October. Also, this was the first year that Tesla started producing the next model year (2020) cars in the current year so it may coincide with that. These are inexact but I think 10/19 was around when Elon tweeted out that they had improved cabin noise, what that entails other than closing the trunk port and maybe a change to seals, no one knows exactly.

Ok, thank you.
If that is true, then the M3 i have ordered doesn't have the improved cabin noise... :(
Decisions, decisions.... o_O