Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying out wrong VIN Tesla mats and third-party Model S goodies on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
So, I've been toying with a few things on my Model X that should not be there. Let's see how they fit.

First one is the Tesla Model X All-Weather 6 Seat Floor Mat (1103026-01-A) which Tesla says is not compatible with vehicles that have a VIN greater than F022381 (I do). (Tesla — Model X All-Weather 6 Seat Floor Mat)

In the end, it fits quite nicely apart from the slightly too curve rear corners of the mat for the slightly trimmed latter day Tesla rear interior walls. Almost unnoticeable, really, given how much natural flex there is with the mats anyway.

model_x_wrong_stuff_1.jpg

Second is the Tesla Model X All-Weather Rear Cargo Mat - Third Row Seat Down (1103027-00-A) which Tesla again says is not compatible with vehicles that have a VIN greater than F022381 (I do). (Tesla — Model X All-Weather Rear Cargo Mat - Third Row Seat Down)

Well, in reality all that seems to be "not compatible" are the slighly trimmed newer side walls/floor being left exposed on the left and right of the trunk. A little worse than the floot mat issue, but still far better than no mat...

model_x_wrong_stuff_2.jpg

model_x_wrong_stuff_3.jpg

I also have a couple of third-party things. First, the pair of USB Rotators from Abstract Ocean (USB Rotator) are - as they admit - rather pointless on the Model X and newer, center-consoled Model S. Abstract Ocean does make/sell nice silicone fobe covers, though, for both Model S and X... Anyway, had to try.

Maybe one could fit a super-small USB stick (like this: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets)... but why would you not simply put that in the slot, instead on the rotator. ;)

model_x_wrong_stuff_5.jpg

The final piece of my puzzle, or actually the final puzzle, are the 'HookUp' Coat Hooks - Set of Two for Tesla Model S ('HookUp' Coat Hooks - Set of Two for Tesla Model S) that of course attach to the sides of the roof trim around the Model S panoramic roof...

Now @vandacca claims these can find a slot on the Model X falcon wings, but I am yet to find it. Unlike on the Model S panoramic roof, which leaves plenty of empty space between the side trim and the glass, my Model X has shaped trim all the way to the glass, is that changed trim or my inability, I don't know... I do like these on the Model S, though.

model_x_wrong_stuff_4.jpg

In short, the "not compatible" Tesla mats very useful, the rest not so much. :)

@AnxietyRanger, the 'HookUp' Coat Hooks go in the outside edge of the 2nd row panoramic window.
agblh9y.jpg

That's your Model X, right? How much space do you have between the top edge of the headliner and the glass? Can you easily fit the coat-hooks there or does it require acrobatics?

As mentioned in the other thread I tried again, but it seems to me there may be more than one type of headliner. Mine extends very tightly to the glass itself and bending a coat-hook there seems like a risk of breaking something...

That's your Model X, right? How much space do you have between the top edge of the headliner and the glass? Can you easily fit the coat-hooks there or does it require acrobatics?

As mentioned in the other thread I tried again, but it seems to me there may be more than one type of headliner. Mine extends very tightly to the glass itself and bending a coat-hook there seems like a risk of breaking something...
Yes, this is my Model-X. I would say that the gap in my 2016/06/30 Model-X is about half the thickness of the Coat Hook. That means that I cannot fit the Coat Hook into that gap without first pulling down the headliner a bit.

But it is very easy to pull the headliner down a little and the coat hook slides in quite effortlessly.
Of course, so much has changed since I picked up my X I wouldn't be surprised if they tightened up the tolerances and now the headliner is snug against the window. Do you not still have your Model-S? Should fit there. :)

@vandacca: No longer have the Model S, but yes, I know there was easy space for them there - you could put your finger between the glass and the headliner. I always thought the reason for that was the opening sunroof in front (and that Tesla just replicated that same separation in the back to keep it looking uniform), to give a clear vertical separation between the opening and the headliner - don't know about Tesla but other cars have some ducting there too...

I don't know how that thinking would expain the coat-hooks apparently fitting the Model S with the all-glass roof too, though, so maybe my thinking was mistaken. But it certainly seems in my Model X that Tesla has had a different idea and has designed the headliner to sit tightly against the windows, needing no separation, only making the trim slightly slanted as it approaches the window, probably to make sure Tesla's low-tech sunscreens can still be used.

Will give the Model X coat-hooking third go soon, though, and see about if I can get some picture that might show any potential difference between my car and your photos. Thanks for your contributions on the coat-hook quest.

No worries if they don't fit, just wanted to try them out. :)

By the way, this image shows the wrong-VIN rear winter mats above the factory textile mat underneath (which is shaped corrently for the updated floor shape). Not only is it the textile mat shaped right around the wall, you can see it is somewhat tighter wound the monopost tracks as well, peeking from underneath the winter mat. I wonder if a future new-VIN Tesla/WeatherTech mat for the rear might be slightly tighter around the monoposts as well or if they still need larger clearance due to raised-border shape of the mat...

model_x_wrong_stuff_1-jpg.223857

• Helpful
Reactions: Phil the North