Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to claim ownership on Tesla website, but keeps saying “unable to process, try again later”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what sort of disclosures are given on Teslas sent to auction by Tesla? Is it clearly stated what software packages are or are not included with the car regardless of what may be displaying on the screen? If this is not clearly disclosed and/or commonly known what Tesla removes then Tesla should be more proactive in removing software from cars before sending them to auction.

There's already enough confusion out there about some of the software packages like "Full Self Driving Capability", , even among long-time Tesla owners and enthusiasts,. Adding uncertainty as to what is or isn;'t included (on auction cars) only adds to the confusion.

Probably safe to go with the assumption that if Tesla sent the car to auction that they removed any software upgrades the car had.

Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
Where did Vroom get the car from? If they bought it from Tesla, i.e. at auction, EAP was likely "removed" before the auction. (It is just that the car doesn't get updated to know that until the next owner registers it with Tesla, which Vroom doesn't do.) If Vroom bought it from a private party then EAP should have likely stayed. (But possibly not if the original owner hadn't paid for it but it had gotten activated on the car accidentally, which happened a number of times.) Did Vroom advertise that it had EAP, or did you just assume it based on what was reported on screen in the car?

I wish third party dealers would register the car with Tesla and/or Tesla would force those updates immediately to avoid these issues.
Is there a way I can find out what was on the car before it was sold to Vroom? In any case, is it Tesla policy to remove EAP when a Tesla is sold at Auction and/or from a Private Party?

Probably safe to go with the assumption that if Tesla sent the car to auction that they removed any software upgrades the car had.

I would consider that a reasonable assumption but was curious if anyone knew what, if anything, was actually disclosed about Teslas sent to auction by Tesla as far as software especially if cars go through with software still showing/enabled. I would hope that Tesla and/or the auction houses disclose information regarding software removal/deactivation. Do they? Anyone know?? It would be unfair and misleading to auction buyers if they don't.

If actions/policies are not more definitively known, it can lead to these software packages being viewed as basically valueless by dealers or other buyers if they are going to assume cars can be stripped of the features at any time regardless of where/how acquired.

So I went @TCMX route with chat, and then send documentation via email yesterday. Received an email today that the car was added to my account. Thank you all for your assistance.

Now a new problem... they removed the Enhanced Autopilot that was on the car. Now it just says Autopilot on the main screen. Ugh.
that was quick, i havent receive my email from tesla yet, what did you provide beside the driver license?

I would consider that a reasonable assumption but was curious if anyone knew what, if anything, was actually disclosed about Teslas sent to auction by Tesla as far as software especially if cars go through with software still showing/enabled. I would hope that Tesla and/or the auction houses disclose information regarding software removal/deactivation. Do they? Anyone know?? It would be unfair and misleading to auction buyers if they don't.

If actions/policies are not more definitively known, it can lead to these software packages being viewed as basically valueless by dealers or other buyers if they are going to assume cars can be stripped of the features at any time regardless of where/how acquired.
Hey guys I’m gonna start a new thread about EAP being removed from my Used Tesla so we don’t mix topics. Will let you know when the new thread is created.

So I bought a used 2017 Tesla Model S 90D from Vroom, and am trying to claim ownership on Tesla.com. I attach the Bill of Sale, and photos of my driver’s license. And everytime it says “unable to process, please try again later.” It’s been like this for the past 2 days. I also need to schedule some service too but it seems Tesla doesn’t take phone calls and everything has to go through the app.

Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 644879
I was in the same situation and kept getting the "Unable to Process" message. The trick is to provide all your information in the profile section, including your credit card info and then go back and redo the "Claim your ownership" process. It went through immediately and I got a confirmation email advising that the transfer would be completed in 3-5 business days. Hope that helps! Cheers.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I was in the same situation and kept getting the "Unable to Process" message. The trick is to provide all your information in the profile section, including your credit card info and then go back and redo the "Claim your ownership" process. It went through immediately and I got a confirmation email advising that the transfer would be completed in 3-5 business days. Hope that helps! Cheers.
Hey, is the claiming ownership is working like this, can you post an update here?

This is a copy of my buyers receipt for my Tesla 3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 1,067
Just wanted to give my experience with this as it was fabulous. Yesterday I completed the purchase of a 2019 Model X from a 3rd party dealer. The dealer had bought the vehicle from a 3rd private party (and I confirmed with them a few times on this that is was from a private person and not through auction). Car was showing that it had FSD.
The dealer did not have a Tesla account and the 3rd party had removed the car from their account (3rd party is a friend of someone who works at the dealer so they were able to confirm). Dealer had also called Tesla and through them confirmed the car was not associated with an account, and at same time Tesla also confirmed FSD will stay with the car and it is only removed if the car passes back through Tesla.

After signing all the paperwork next step was to start the process to get the car added to my account, I started this process as I was standing outside at the dealership since I did not want to wait to start this process. I already had an account as we already have a Model 3. So went into my account and clicked to add a car bought through 3rd party. It asked for VIN and then for some more info like my address and stuff like that.
Next it asked me to upload registration and drivers license. I had a temporary registration from the dealer. Here in Colorado it is something the dealer prints out on piece of paper but looks all official with the Colorado DMV header, a barcode, .... So I took a picture of the front of the registration paper and uploaded it. It also wanted from the back which in this case was just blank but did it anyway. Then did same for front of my driver's license.
On the next screen it told me to ensure the car had internet service (car was connected to Dealer's WiFi but I would think as long has it has cellular access would be fine as well) and the rename the car to a 3 letter combination that was showing on my phone.
Went ahead and did that after which I clicked Next (or submit) to move on as per instructions. Had to wait a few seconds and suddenly email notifications were popping up stating things like new car added to my account etc... At this point the screen in the car went black as well (reboot). Then on my phone it showed that the car was now added to my account and wanted to get my billing details for Supercharger.
And that was it, car added to my account. All in all process took less then 10 minutes with really the longest being the upload of the photos to Tesla.

After hearing about all the long wait times etc and issues people have this was an absolute surprise on how quick and smooth it went. I did get an email as well that Tesla would be reviewing the documentation and add the car to my account in 3-5 business days. So my guess is that someone will still do an actual review but it is not holding up getting the car transferred into my account.

I am also guessing that Tesla is scanning what is uploaded and maybe reading the name on registration to see if it matches what is on driver's license. The registration is in my name only and thus matching with my driver's license is easier then when there are 2 people registered. Don't know if that would make a difference in the process or not.
Also, I would think that because the car was not linked to an account right now it might have gone through this faster. If the car would have still been linked to someone else's account then I can see Tesla having to manually verify before allowing. But a call to Tesla allows you to confirm if the VIN is still linked to an account or not.
If it is linked then the account holder can transfer the car into your account when they go for removing the car which then skips the uploading of stuff. Just some emails and confirmations. Sometimes a dealer has a Tesla account and they have the car in there, or for private sale. Check for dealer if they do and if so do the transfer then through car removal. For private definitely go that route.

Oh, and FSD is still there. Was not removed by Tesla.

Hope this helps out other folks.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay