Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstar InvestCo LLC, the Daimler-affiliated investment vehicle, transferred 3.25 million Tesla shares to Aabar Investments PJSC, which is also a Daimler investor, according to a regulatory filing.

Could Aabar Investments be shorting TSLA? In my opinion it looks like they borrowed 3.25m shares and started selling. There was a lot of after market action last night and pre-market selling this morning. And today we had 2.61m volume during today's trading session, which is a bit higher than normal. They sold something like 7 million when one of those Princely types left the Tesla board. So maybe this is just more of the same? Just saying, don't really know, but it sure looks that way.

Well if shorts force a lower share price I for one will look at it as a buy opportunity. Didn't pull the trigger last time it dipped so I'm still primed and ready to go...:smile:

Maybe these Aabar folks were shorting Tesla and they got bailed-out by their good friends at Blackstar?

Something is coming, smart money covering their buts?

If they have been selling those shares last night and today then they have to buy them back for less than today's selling price. I still think they may not like TSLA.
What if they where short already and they covered with Blackstar shares, they then turned around and "gave back" the shares to who ever loaned them. That "who ever" guy is now liquidating some of those?

Short numbers for 6/15 are out. With a staggering 26,522,286 shares shorted and a mind blowing 34 days to cover, we are in for some interesting time to come.

6/15/2012 26,522,286 780,221 33.993299
5/31/2012 25,850,776 1,393,753 18.547602
5/15/2012 24,902,392 1,774,098 14.036650
4/30/2012 23,483,222 780,148 30.100983

Well if shorts force a lower share price I for one will look at it as a buy opportunity.
I have no idea what's a reasonable low to expect, so I'm probably pricing myself too low, but I've got my limit order in for another 50 shares at $25, and I'll be happy if that executes. That would bring me to 250.

It is unfortunate that I have to do so, but in all test drive cars going forward, we are limiting the top speed of our cars to 75 miles per hour to insure the safety of our employees, back seat passengers and other drivers on the road.
Someone had to ruin the party. I wonder how fast they went?
I had my Roadster up to 90 once, for about 3 seconds. It felt solid, but that speed still scared me. :crying: I think 75 is a reasonable top limit for test-drive cars where there are people other than the driver in the car. Especially if one of them is a Tesla employee! 65 is scary enough if I'm a passenger and I don't know how good a driver the driver is. :wink:

What does "days to cover" actually mean? I mean, a quick google shows it's shorts divided by average daily volume, but why is that important?
If these guys realize all in the same time their bet is wrong, in theory it means that, with current average volume, it would take 34 days for all these morons to buy all the shares they need. Assuming there is enough shares to buy. 34 days of pure panic. Can you imagine?

Of course it wont last 34 days, volumes will be much higher. But hey, how about a two week panic? ;)

Edit: If there is not enough shares to buy, is what's called a short squeeze. That is fun.

Last edited:
What does "days to cover" actually mean? I mean, a quick google shows it's shorts divided by average daily volume, but why is that important?
Hey, I know this! :smile:

Days to cover is the number of days it would take for all the shorts to buy enough shares to cover their obligation, assuming the average volume of shares traded over some recent time period. (Not sure if they average over a year, or a month, or what.) It's important because if the shorts have to cover in, say 5 days, but the days to cover is 10, then the shorters would have to buy double the average daily volume just to cover. This would be expected to drive the price up because it represents a demand greater than the supply. (The much anticipated short squeeze.)

Status
Not open for further replies.