Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there no news from Tesla's side regarding the go private? Elon not saying anything? Investors must be kinda pissed write now.

Because going private takes time.... and they are already having to talk to the SEC about Musk saying go private had funding. Sure, they should start blabbing left and right about their plans and give their opponents more openings to throw hand grenades at them.

This falls under category "don't feed the bears".

"accurate"? Let see last week of Q2. Tesla reported 5000 (a couple more), Bloomberg 3900.

More of it when you check web.archive.org snapshots you will see they do all the time backlog "patching".

Their "predictions" correspond to the current USA sells.
Given that the "5000" cardboard was placed in the wind shield of the 5000th car that came off the assembly line, I think that is what Tesla/Elon measured. Since that car came off the line at 2AM, I doubt it went through the entire QA before the announcement for meeting the goal. The biggest short term benefit for Tesla was that it boost the moral for everyone's hard work and personal sacrifice, in my opinion. The biggest long term benefit is that they were able to fix multiple hard issues with the lines in short order to allow sustained 5000/week production for multiple weeks in July, and to ramp up further in August.

Has anyone seen the commercials paid for by VW featuring a Chevy Bolt? Wonder why a Tesla wasn't in there.

You probably need a judge on the set to make sure a Tesla appears in the ad.

America should be truly proud to have Tesla as a car manufacturer and force VW to comply with the sentence they received after the Diesel scandal.

Hint, the Bolt is not a threat for VW but Tesla is ...

Last edited:
What you write is very misleading: 2019 convertible notes are equivalent to only about 2.5 million shares - much less that the 33 million shares short interest...

Much of the short interest is unhedged.
Why is it misleading to state a simple true fact without commentary or embellishment? Are you suggesting that the denizens of this forum cannot do the math to place this fact in context?

Why is it misleading to state a simple true fact without commentary or embellishment?
Because the point he was making was, in his words, that "much of the short interest is unhedged". Your single fact, simply stated, with no other qualification or explanation, leaves the impresion that it is relevant to his point, or balances it somehow in a significant fashion, which it is not and it does not.

Are you suggesting that the denizens of this forum cannot do the math to place this fact in context?
His comment was not about the said denizens, but about your post. The post can be viewed as misleading (I view it that way), regardless of whether forum readers are being successfully misled or not.

At a minimum, if your post, put in context, does not mislead anyone because they work it out for themselves that the impact of those options on his main point is negligible, it is irrelevant and is simply wasting everyone's time.

It seems odd that with up to 39.1 million short, and according to Ihor of S3 that it's about 33.47 million short, recently,
Someone, somewhere, is a "Short tracker"?
been hunting here
https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/institutional-holdings
If for instance an Institution holds "zero" shares, but recently sold between 9,000 and 200,000, that they could have continued "selling", believing the stock price will decline
Anyway from NASDAQ reporting, all i can find (Does anybody track who is short 33,470,000 shares and break it out?)

upload_2018-8-24_12-20-10.png

Take this with a pile of salt.

I think today may be the last major sale for TSLA shares. I expect some snap, crackle, and pop on or before Monday. Especially with the flamethrower event Saturday in San Francisco.

At any moment news could come out and send the stock up. No way to really time this that I know of. So figured I share my “hunch”.
what’s the flamethrower event in SF?

What you write is very misleading: 2019 convertible notes are equivalent to only about 2.5 million shares - much less that the 33 million shares short interest...

Much of the short interest is unhedged.
I read this, and it gives a tiny shiver. When I have mentioned elsewhere, I get very vehement responses about "not, no never, ever naked short" so, Who sold those 33.74 million shares? why did my "radar" perk up with a 'hmm, how many are naked and will be torched when not long ago there were comments about "triply leveraged"
Is it possible to ferret out these statistics?
where to start, i'm retired and have lots of free time......(between travels)

Reactions: Artful Dodger
hmm, why would they be doing a second event? seems strange/unprecedented for any of elon’s companies. is there something different about this event that wasn’t covered at the delivery party in LA? sorry i’m behind on this topic.

They don't want to, or can't, ship them so they are holding delivery events in different locations to try to get everyone to come pickup their not-a-flamethrower.

They have talked about having a crew take a van around the country to personally deliver them, but large delivery events are more cost effective.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
Worth watching.

Interesting he didn't have the report to look at. There is a link in the dedicated thread to the report and I posted a breakdown of their cost estimates. Boils down to this:

Breakdown of Black, Long Range RWD, PUP Car
Price $49,000
Factory Cost $34,720
*Operations $10,650
Operating Profit $3,630

Breakdown of Black, Standard Range, RWD non-PUP car
Price $35,000
Factory Cost $30,250
*Operations $10,650
Operating Profit $-5,900

*Operations consist of D&A, Warranty, Freight, R&D, SG&A

Status