Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Reuters and public utility information, only 12 people in all of California have the Solar Roof.​

-> Fact

It's probably a fact but misleading. Here is what Elon Musk said about the Solar Roof in the Aug 2 conference call:

"We now have several hundred homes with the Solar Roof on them, and that's going well. It takes a while to just confirm that the Solar Roof is going to last for 30 years and all the details work out, and we're working with first responders to make sure it's safe in the event of a fire and that kind of thing. So it's quite a long validation program for a roof which has got to last for 30, 40, 50 years, but we also expect to ramp that up next year at our Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo. That's going to be super exciting. If there's a company with a better product roadmap, I'd like to know where it is, because we've got some super awesome stuff coming."
My guess: California is probably not the state Tesla uses primarily to test the Solar Roof, which makes sense at the current stage if we consider how far Buffalo is from California.

Is that the impression we got from the 'facts' the troll cited?

Rule #1: trolls will generally only cite facts to mislead and to distort the discussion.

I am posting this here as context to discussions on market action as it relates to the China market - I shot this near Tien An Men square this afternoon:

20180831_TienAnMen.jpg

Note 1: Been in China in Xi'an and Beijing for the past ten days and amazed at the number of Tesla I have seen here (90% model X and 10% model S in my view - you can see one of each in this photo). Two or three per day in Xi'an and two dozen per hour in Beijing.

Note 2: Never seen so many luxury cars at once in my life over a widespread area - Bentley, Ferrari, Audi A8, BMW 7 series, fully loaded M5,etc. (saw this in Hong Kong many years ago but highly localized). The amount of cash that is flowing here is unbelievable. And that is not limited to large cities.

Food for thought...

It's probably a fact but misleading. Here is what Elon Musk said about the Solar Roof in the Aug 2 conference call:

"We now have several hundred homes with the Solar Roof on them, and that's going well. It takes a while to just confirm that the Solar Roof is going to last for 30 years and all the details work out, and we're working with first responders to make sure it's safe in the event of a fire and that kind of thing. So it's quite a long validation program for a roof which has got to last for 30, 40, 50 years, but we also expect to ramp that up next year at our Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo. That's going to be super exciting. If there's a company with a better product roadmap, I'd like to know where it is, because we've got some super awesome stuff coming."
My guess: California is probably not the state Tesla uses primarily to test the Solar Roof, which makes sense at the current stage if we consider how far Buffalo is from California.

Is that the impression we got from the 'facts' the troll cited?

Rule #1: trolls will generally only cite facts to mislead and to distort the discussion.

That statement was corrected/ amended:

Per Tesla, Elon mentioned “several hundred homes with solar roof” on the Q2 2018 earnings call. To clarify, this includes homes that are in some stage of the installation process or being actively scheduled for install, not just homes where installation is complete.

from
Tesla Energy — Rapid Growth In Solar Roof & Energy Storage Demand Outstripping Supply | CleanTechnica

Yes, we do know it's years away.

Mass producing something, especially something new, takes a long time to figure out. It takes massive capital expenditures. It takes specialized factories. It takes working with a lot of suppliers.

Above all, it takes time.

Look at the Model 3. It took 2 years from the announcement and prototype demo to reach 1000 cars per week.
And the Buffalo plant IS in operation and they have been making tiles for over 6 months now. So the S curve ramp could be any day now.

It is not like they are starting from scratch.

- Why did Elon suddenly unfollow Electrek on Twitter today?

Two possibilities a) Fred has been posting a lot of borderline FUD articles recently and b) one of these was about M3 targets to be missed, which potentially included some insider information:

Look at the Model 3. It took 2 years from the announcement and prototype demo to reach 1000 cars per week.

Isn't it the case that it's typically 5-7 years for an OEM to bering a new car to market, especially given that it was a totally new chassis, etc. In fact everything on it is pretty much new.

So seems to me that this was incredibly fast and agile.

@MODS: can we give folks whom are ignored by, say, 10 folks a __timeout__ as some pages, like 1624, make no sense and clutter up things

Any way I can see who's ignoring me... :eek:

Any news? Or why did the price shoot up $6 in a 15 minutes?

Don't worry, back down again now...

I don't know if this was posted earlier, but Elon has confirmed on twitter that paint is a significant current model 3 bottleneck.

Elon Musk Admits Paint Is The Current Tesla Model 3 Bottleneck

I can't find anywhere in Elons Tweets a direct or indirect indication or comment that the paint shop is the or one of the remaining bottlenecks.

Let me know if I overlooked something.

All what I read is that the take extra car and walk the extra miles to make sure the painting is perfect.

I can't find anywhere in Elons Tweets a direct or indirect indication or comment that the paint shop is the or one of the remaining bottlenecks.

Agreed, it doesn't sound like the problem is paint shop throughput but rather that either during or (more likely) after paint gets damaged and Tesla repaints those parts before delivery, which can delay the delivery.

Let me know if I overlooked something.

All what I read is that the take extra car and walk the extra miles to make sure the painting is perfect.
I read through his tweets again and I think you're right. I think all that is clear is that they are having paint issues that are causing delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.