Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is entirely possible that there is a larger pool of people that want a 3 AWD or 3P than want a 3 RWD, they are different groups of people and different content cars.

If the 35k car (base RWD) became a 40k car (base RWD) with no feature set difference, then the rule of thumb would be applicable.
At this point in time here in the U.S. I would agree. Most of the RWD units have already been delivered. What remains in the LR order pool are AWD and P cars. It also makes sense that a large percentage of the LR cars will ultimately be AWD. Most parts of the U.S. deal with snow and or ice in winter. If you are already going to spend $50,000 for a Model 3, adding $4k for AWD makes good sense for resale value. Whether AWD will be as popular in a $35,000 SR model remains to be seen.

Reactions: Ratanpara
Optimal inventory control is a very delicate balance between production and deliveries. It requires constant tweaking just like controlling the throttles on an airplane for maximum range and efficiency. New car dealers and manufacturers face this every day. During my days as a dealer, my first meeting every morning was with my inventory manager, looking not only at what was already on the ground but also what we knew was coming our way in the pipeline. The next meeting with my sales managers was looking at ways to keep the flow of sales moving to make room for the new arrivals. Losing control of your inventory is the fastest way to destroy a dealership.
This paragraph is the only one that you've posted that actually has the ring of truth in it. Of course, it's not about Tesla, so there's that. Let's see how all your buddies are doing: Do You Have to Let It Linger? Dealers Struggle With Old Stock During a Season of Renewal - The Truth About Cars

[EDIT:] So people aren't forced to follow the link, a summary is: dealers are not doing well; they have scads of unsold brand-new previous year(s) models on their lots.

Here's another owners survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YeLtMxFt9Lh8mndZhjOqrzFfWQ_r5T9LS-l3gQzPXCk/edit

• 47% had AT LEAST one visit to the service center in the first 30 days

I'd like to see how many of these were simply pushing software updates. LOTS of ppl hit either service centers or rovers for SW updates when they didn't come or they wanted something newer. Service always tags this as a service call (trust me, that's how service warranty and billing works) and it could somewhat skew REAL service needs. Just a thought.

Take time to read the threads here and on M3OC. You will find several examples of people arriving to pick up their M3 only to find the car is the wrong color. There are many others of cars being refused by the delivery center personnel and insisting the customer be assigned another VIN. In those instances, I agree the culprit is flawed production. But many of the stated mistakes are on the delivery staff, from the ISA on down to the center personnel. These flubs should not be happening. Based on the list of Tesla openings they are way behind the power curve on PDI techs and delivery personnel. Now is when these oversights are costing Tesla sales every day.

Optimal inventory control is a very delicate balance between production and deliveries. It requires constant tweaking just like controlling the throttles on an airplane for maximum range and efficiency. New car dealers and manufacturers face this every day. During my days as a dealer, my first meeting every morning was with my inventory manager, looking not only at what was already on the ground but also what we knew was coming our way in the pipeline. The next meeting with my sales managers was looking at ways to keep the flow of sales moving to make room for the new arrivals. Losing control of your inventory is the fastest way to destroy a dealership.

IMHO Tesla until recently has been way too focused on production and not enough on the flip side of the coin; deliveries. If Tesla fails to produce a meaningful profit in Q3, this will be the main reason. There are plenty of cars sitting waiting to be delivered so lack of inventory is not the problem.

A buddy of mine got delivery delayed due to wrong color. Not only was he impressed by the efforts they went to in order to get him his correct car ASAP, he was told that they were able to reassign his car and deliver it to another line-waiter.

Based on his experience, along with the seemingly relatively small percentage of affected persons, I think this is much ado about nothing.

I'd like to see how many of these were simply pushing software updates. LOTS of ppl hit either service centers or rovers for SW updates when they didn't come or they wanted something newer. Service always tags this as a service call (trust me, that's how service warranty and billing works) and it could somewhat skew REAL service needs. Just a thought.

It's not contradictory; there have been issues. Check the Model 3 owners survey - actually a majority of users have had slow app wakeup speeds, for example, some bluetooth and Homelink issues have been quite common, etc. The key point however is that most peoples' issues have been minor, and that owner satisfaction has been extremely high. Even among people who are coming from sports / luxury brands.

This paragraph is the only one that you've posted that actually has the ring of truth in it. Of course, it's not about Tesla, so there's that. Let's see how all your buddies are doing: Do You Have to Let It Linger? Dealers Struggle With Old Stock During a Season of Renewal - The Truth About Cars

[EDIT:] So people aren't forced to follow the link, a summary is: dealers are not doing well; they have scads of unsold brand-new previous year(s) models on their lots.
Thank you for making my statement about inventory more believable. Now you know why I left the business 14 years ago. 0% interest created a bubble that is about to burst. Take advantage of it while you can because it will not be coming back once it is gone.

One relative just leased a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring this past weekend with a .0000001 money factor from Chase. Mind-boggling. (She came out of a Mercedes lease) Half the safety features are right out of Tesla's playbook. Adaptive cruise, blind spot warning, AEB, Lane keep, etc.

Last edited:
Thank you for making my statement about inventory more believable. Now you know why I left the business 14 years ago. 0% interest created a bubble that is about to burst. Take advantage of it while you can because it will not be coming back.
I think you completely, deliberately misunderstand.

Your inventory statement applies to the old guard, ICE dealers, and their method of doing business: build first, sell later (and use as many nefarious tricks as you can to snooker customers). Tesla's method, sell first, build later currently has a logistics difficulty but that will be sorted through. It's better for Tesla because the cars have already been bought.

I do admire your patience, on the one hand; it's something I don't have much of and would probably be better off with more. On the other hand, your constant misinformation and spinning is tiresome.

I think you completely, deliberately misunderstand.

Your inventory statement applies to the old guard, ICE dealers, and their method of doing business: build first, sell later (and use as many nefarious tricks as you can to snooker customers). Tesla's method, sell first, build later currently has a logistics difficulty but that will be sorted through. It's better for Tesla because the cars have already been bought.

I do admire your patience, on the one hand; it's something I don't have much of and would probably be better off with more. On the other hand, your constant misinformation and spinning is tiresome.
You seem to forget that Tesla is wearing both hats: Manufacturer AND dealer. So the "old guard" rules do apply. If they eliminated showrooms, service, and delivery centers that would be breaking new ground. Until then, the old rules apply to them just like the others. Ignoring these facts would not be wise for Tesla.

Just ask Jon McNeill. He got paid $700,000 last year to help Tesla reduce its unsold inventory. He did a great job cutting the numbers from over 8,000 to a little over 2,000 in just six month. Unfortunately, Tesla was back to 8,000 at the end of Q2. In 4 weeks we will know how much of that related to the 1,400 M3's here in the U.S. and the 200k issue. The 6,600 Model S & X are scattered around the globe.

Last edited:
You seem to forget that Tesla is wearing both hats: Manufacturer AND dealer. So the "old guard" rules do apply. If they eliminated showrooms, service, and delivery centers that would be breaking new ground. Until then, the old rules apply to them just like the others. Ignoring these facts would not be wise for Tesla. Just ask Jon McNeill.

Are you under the misapprehension that Tesla keeps meaningful inventory on showroom lots?

You seem to forget that Tesla is wearing both hats: Manufacturer AND dealer. So the "old guard" rules do apply. If they eliminated showrooms, service, and delivery centers that would be breaking new ground. Until then, the old rules apply to them just like the others. Ignoring these facts would not be wise for Tesla. Just ask Jon McNeill.
You seem to forget that your ICE buddies, the Dealers, get the cars from the Manufacturer and then have to figure out how to foist them on a largely unsuspecting (but not happy) public.

You seem to forget that Tesla starts making a car only when it's been ordered by a customer. Of course the Model 3 is just slightly different for now, because of the huge number of reservations, Tesla has actually block-produced cars and then matches them up with orders. But it's not the same thing as the ICE method at all.

My patience is now exhausted.

FYI, Mercedes LIVE stream about revealing their electric SUV is today 6.30 p.m. CEST
Link takes you to Mercedes-benz FB page.

Mercedes-Benz

Live at Mercedes-Benz @MercedesBenz right now

Heard the mustachioed said something along the line of "nowadays, large number of people are using the Internet so <...>". How out of touch is this guy to have to stress that people are using the Internet?!

Are you under the misapprehension that Tesla keeps meaningful inventory on showroom lots?
You read my articles. You know I use the exact numbers released by Tesla. I have no clue where all the cars are stored. But yes, some are on the lots. I have one M3 here in Jacksonville that has been here since the first week in May. It is not alone in sitting for weeks at a time. Others are reporting similar findings at their centers. Check the forums.

He is under the impression that if he can help create that impression then it will help his cause.
I have no "cause". I just want people to know the facts as I have seen them for myself and taken photos on the lots. I am one of the people that reports numbers to Bloomberg. Have been doing so since they created the report

Here's another owners survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YeLtMxFt9Lh8mndZhjOqrzFfWQ_r5T9LS-l3gQzPXCk/edit

• 62% had defects in the first 30 days of ownership
  • 47% had AT LEAST one visit to the service center in the first 30 days
  • 20% were out of service AT LEAST one day in the 30 days
Unless and until you can provide similar surveys dealing with the ICE and BV vehicles with which the Model 3 competes, this survey is meaningless. I need to know how many C class Mercedes, 3 series BMW's, and Chevy Bolts had defects, etc., before I can decide whether there are significant issues with the model 3 Tesla.

Until we have something to compare this with, I'll consider this interesting, but it truly tells me very little about the quality of the model 3.

A buddy of mine got delivery delayed due to wrong color. Not only was he impressed by the efforts they went to in order to get him his correct car ASAP, he was told that they were able to reassign his car and deliver it to another line-waiter.

Based on his experience, along with the seemingly relatively small percentage of affected persons, I think this is much ado about nothing.
It does seem like the logistics of delivery really caught them off guard. Which makes total sense with 110 percent focus on getting the assembly lines working. The logistics of this is huge and to do it overnight has got to be tough. I worked in logistics and alot of the trucking and rail companies seemed to be very old school (outdated tech) with limited yards and trucks/drivers. It has to be tough to build the network to service a large new client like Tesla.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.