Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The yellow rag NYT has a huge op ed out today. The argument is that Tesla cannot escape its debt and will fail. Tesla only burns money and needs a capital raise. Then claims the “no longer investable” quote had to do with its finances rather than all this crap going on with Musk via tweets.

Anyway, another day at the shop....

They "forgot" to mention guidance for Q3/Q4 when talking about unprofitability. Everybody knows that it's completely irrelevant...

They "forgot" to mention guidance for Q3/Q4 when talking about unprofitability. Everybody knows that it's completely irrelevant...

Well, to be fair, somehow they mention it in a very neutral way: "Mr. Musk promises investors that Tesla is going to start making more cars and profits any day now, but that’s wishful thinking". Everybody reading it would clearly understand Elon and Deepak have reiterated the profit guidance for Q3/Q4 time and again...

Are we in concensus that Q3 will be a beat above 50k Model 3 and 24-25k Model SX? Troy’s spreadsheet is currently showing over 46k Model 3s, at the rate of 4,200/week we should easily sail beyond 50k.

I’m feeling nastalgic again, back in 2012 Tesla had 2 quarters of consecutive misses and delays, by Q1, 2013 members on this forum were predicting a beat, which was then confirmed by Elon’s cash flow positive tweet on April 1st... right now I have the same exact feeling as I did in 2013 when Elon tweeted—calm, collective and at peace (despite the FUD).

I couldn’t resist buying back in today with the 5 star safety news. Somehow I have a feeling it was leaked to certain people yesterday, which was why we moved up so hard. At any rate, another reason why I bought back in was because the China Tariff isn’t as nearly as bad as some were predicting, the economy remains strong, and lastly, if Tesla adds to that $2.2 billion, we might blow past the $350s like we did last ER. I wouldn’t want to be left behind with so many positives ahead of us. If we resolve the delivery he’ll issue in Q4, watch out! About 13 days left until numbers are out, let the countdown begin.

The Bloomberg tracker has 94,600 M3s made so far with 41,000 at Q2, that's 53,600 made so far in Q3 with one week left to go. I think production of 57,000 is likely which is a solid beat of their 50-55k guidance. I think Tesla finally lowballed their guidance to make an easy beat (usually the opposite of what Elon does)

I wouldn't be surprised if Q3 M3 sales hit over 60k. (sales are supposed to be higer than production this quarter)

I think October will be when the reality of Tesla's turnaround starts to hit the market.

Soon we will get Q3 sales, where I think guidance has been purposely lowballed.
In a couple weeks we will get the 100,000th M3 built.
I also think Q3 will be a big surprise to the upside.

All this will be occurring when sentiment on the stock is low. Right now it's like a spring getting compressed harder and harder.

Dont sleep on this little nugget when you consider Zev credits and earnings per share:

For S&P 500 inclusion, Tesla needs 4 QTRs of cumulative profits and the last 2 to be profitable:

Rough estimates:
Q2 = -4.22
Q3 = +0.30
Q4 = +3.20
Q1 = +0.80

That would do it. If it takes some Zev credits to get there, then so bit it. Though I do not think they count as GAAP profits?

I think the ZEV credits will be used to pay off the bonds due in Q1-2019.

Who wrote it?

Well anyway, NYT is such a disappointment. They should be a Tesla backer, not a detractor.

Oh well, after 70 years of family subscription, I dropped them this year.

William D.Cohan. Special correspondent for Vanity Fair.

Got me. Guess he is an authority on electric cars and their viability. No, seriously...,

An umbrella is a lot more valuable in Seattle than in the Sahara :)

Do you know what "umbrella" means?

c. 1600, first attested in Donne's letters, from Italian ombrello, from Late Latin umbrella, altered (by influence of umbra) from Latin umbella "sunshade, parasol," diminutive of umbra "shade, shadow"

Ever heard of somebody dying of rainstroke?

model-3-nhtsa-rating-1.jpg

Shortsville Times: U.S. government agency keeps crashing their Tesla Model 3's, Autopilot malfunction?

According to two anonymous whistleblowers, one of the largest U.S. federal agencies has suffered crashes with at least three separate Model 3's, which is a damning indictment of the safety of Tesla's Model 3. We could not independently confirm whether Autopilot was engaged. We are not disclosing the name of the affected agency, to protect the identity of our sources.

In a letter to investors, Tesla investors Jim Chanos, Mark Spiegel and Andrew Left have requested Tesla to immediately recall all Tesla Model 3, S, X and Roadster vehicles, and called for Tesla to immediately GAAP account the expected large expenses of hundreds of millions of dollars before the end of Q3. They also reiterated their call for the immediate resignation of Elon Musk as the CEO of Tesla.

Industry experts Dana Hull and David Gelles called the images of the crashed Model 3's "deeply troubling", and estimated that potential costs and long term liabilities could go into the billions of dollars.

Copyright (c) 2018, The Shortsville Times, Chief Editor @HG Wells.

Last edited:
The Bloomberg tracker has 94,600 M3s made so far with 41,000 at Q2, that's 53,600 made so far in Q3 with one week left to go. I think production of 57,000 is likely which is a solid beat of their 50-55k guidance. I think Tesla finally lowballed their guidance to make an easy beat (usually the opposite of what Elon does)

I wouldn't be surprised if Q3 M3 sales hit over 60k. (sales are supposed to be higer than production this quarter)

I think October will be when the reality of Tesla's turnaround starts to hit the market.

Soon we will get Q3 sales, where I think guidance has been purposely lowballed.
In a couple weeks we will get the 100,000th M3 built.
I also think Q3 will be a big surprise to the upside.

All this will be occurring when sentiment on the stock is low. Right now it's like a spring getting compressed harder and harder.

Thanks for analysis.....one area the shorts will focus on in Q3 is backlog replacement.....do you have a sense of where Tesla stands with that? When would that be officially reported, Q3 financials?

Messr Cohan has been around WS for a while as a merger and aquisition guy and other stuff. He wrote some books on WS scam stuff (2008, Bear Stearns etc). So his views are definitively scewed by WS thinking, which means he cannot see the forest that is aggressively growing around Tesla.

It appears to me that many WS types are somewhat ego driven by settling on the notion that all they learned in their business schools and practices of wealth transfer (not wealth creation) on WS are the only truth. As a result, they are incapable of wrapping their heads around a company not being hostage to their services and thought regime.

They clearly advised Kodak to ignore digital photography, advised Apple it was time for Steve to go and Motorola/Ericsson that smart phones were a gimmick not to mention the numerous mergers that were supposed to have miracle outcomes due to synergies (and shitloads of fees generated) only to advise on splitting em back up later... same play book rinse repeat. Most of these guys are nothing but technicians and spend any fleeting ounce of original thinking on making *sugar* up to skirt rules made by their buddies in Congress and the SEC.

All this because the numbers on their spreadsheets add up the way the college textbook said it should, so it has to be right!?... right!?

As was said earlier....

Another day at the shop

Fire Away:cool:

I know I'm no good at it. There are people who can do it, though. I'm not going to bet my fortune on market timing, but I've been spending a lot of time learning and it may be worth making a small bet. (Like, maybe I'll take out 1/10 of my investment if the stock multiplies by 10.)

This sounds like rebalancing of a portfolio that suddenly got very skewed (because holdings of one paper suddenly increases a lot in value), so I think that is something even I could manage.

Timing the market in any other fashion is out of my league.

I'll admit I was one of the folks who thought Elon broke down and mentally ill, unable to make sound judgement after Joe Rogan's interview. it turned out my judgement (of Elon's mental state) was not sound, not his. this costed me $$$ for selling everything at the bottom.

So yeah, he is definitely no longer under stress and so I was back in the game with more leverage than before. If you watched the SpaceX presentation recently, you'd agree it looked like he's totally back and no longer lacking sleep...this could mean Production hell is sort of over, delivery hell is on but logistic is a much, much easier problem to deal with.

What I think is, short term, TSLA @$300 is cheap considering tesla has been trading mostly between ~$275 - $365 for the past year, and IMO it should run up until delivery date at least. long term,$300 is super cheap, with massive revenue growth and soon, margin growth (M3 from 0% to 15% this quarter and higher next Q, this is huge), and on the cusp of being profitable every quarter. Starting next quarter if things go as planned, the main thesis of the shorts, bob lutz and the likes "losing money every care they sell" would be crushed into pieces. Also, taking private at $420 was Elon's last attempt in a hurry because he knew TSLA will zoom past that very soon.

I too was fearful that Elon was losing it, but I think he'll be fine. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.
I do wish he'd take a 2 week vacation

• Funny
Reactions: humbaba and Xpert
Status
Not open for further replies.