Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moreover, this would represent well over 56k Model 3 deliveries in Q3 per InsideEVs estimates.

14250 July US, 17800 Aug US, 22000 Sept US, 2000 Sept Canada, plus whatever July/Aug Canada sales.

Add up the three for the US and it's 54,050 units, If Canadian sales are about 1/10th US sales (which is usuall what they are) we are looking at Q3 sales of around 59-60,000 for the M3.

“Several” people were upset. People get upset if they’re delayed by someone in front of them at Chipotle’s when it’s their turn to order, and they then stare at the board trying to figure out what to order, and even worse, ask mind numbing questions about their selection. BTW, that’s a trigger for me so I do have some sympathy for you, but not much.

People get upset because they expected the experience to be the same as walking into a traditional auto dealership and having a mad scramble of salesmen running towards them to try and close the “deal,” only to disappear to take your offer to their manager to approve it, but give you a proper pampering first to make you feel you’re important to them?

I get it. Some people just don’t like feeling that they’re not more important than others. The world is full of them. But, seriously? Having to wait until those whose appointment was before them being taken care of first is so traumatic for them that they walked out without having purchased the best car ever?

“Customers” plural, as in all, or just a few? Several? All? Just you? All 100 that may have been at that location? All 5000 that were probably sold that week? Characterizing the delivery process as having “survived a chaotic mess” most certainly is an exaggeration, IMHO.

Sorry you felt slighted at the delivery, and no, I did not read your story.
I'd add some additional color to what made people whom I talked with yesterday upset.
One couple, second time coming to the delivery center. After 1.5 hours waiting, car apparently was in San Diego, CA (mind you, this was bay area delivery)
Another couple, first time delivery center, 2 hours waiting, car was in San Francisco, not at the delivery center. Was told could wait till 18:00 (this was at 11:30) or come back tomorrow (today) or schedule again for this week.
another couple (mostly the woman was the most upset), this was their THIRD time to the DC, nobody knew where there car was and was offering a different car. That SOUNDS great to some, but if one is doing financing or leasing through a third party, it's basically impossible to change the VIN assignments and approvals on the spot as they are directly tied to the VIN. After 2 hours total, they were asked to re-schedule for some time next week. They were p....d. I can understand and could only say that I didn't work for the company and if I DID have any authority I would try to escalate it somehow but certainly couldn't. Could I help them learn more about their car, or the S or M3, or charging, etc.. person: No, "I JUST WANT MY CAR!!' moved along
another couple, they had an appt. at 11:45, it was now 12:30, and nobody had contacted them. this is a GREAT example of expectations by the buyer and consideration being out of alignment or even out of touch - you are going to get people who fall into this category. The think of it as a reservation like a restaurant, but comment on things like "This ISN'T that hard, how can they not have it better organized, I work in BUSINESS and this should have all been worked out now"..they were later told that they THOUGHT they could be accommodated by 17:00. Understandably, they were annoyed. The woman literally said to me "At this point I'm just thinking about cancelling the car"..of course she probably didn't, but emotions were somewhat raw.
I didn't tell these people that I have worked in the auto industry in the past for a decade and seen poor customer services like this from both international and domestic manufacturers - it wouldn't have given them any comfort or solace in the situation.

I WILL say, that this particular situation that TESLA is dealing with is VERY unique for the AUTO industry. We really haven't seen certainly for a USA domestic manufacturer and in my opinion even an international OEM this TYPE of situation where a totally NEW product is coming out in large volume (for that OEM, not from an auto standpoint because other USA OEM's have certainly done higher volumes and much better than this) and where both production volume and delivery volume is spiking and has to be managed very well. It's HARD. I've said for over a year now, its going to BE HARD. There isn't a perfect playbook, but there were certainly things which could have been done better.

Other companies, not auto industry have certainly failed in this TYPE of scenario. Apple, google, Microsoft etc. But we haven't really seen the opportunity to perform somewhat poorly like this in autos - because nobody has really tried to do it.

I met with and helped a LOT of people and the majority of them were just so excited about finally getting the car that they were willing to take some pain and then they got the cars and they were just grinning ear to ear. (as we pretty much all were when I finally got it).

But I would have hoped the percentages of my above examples would have been a very small minority, it was sadly, on that day at that location (probably the busiest day in history for the company at any location) too much of an example and in the lower double digits and not in the high single digits that would have should have indicated a problem.

The staff stayed strong and resolute and happy and for the most part unfazed. Get the cars out, try and make people happy. Use the current owners onsite as much as possible to fill in the gaps (sometimes large gaps) of time between arrival, documentation, inspection, delivery. Repeat.

I don't think other locations around the country had anywhere NEAR these types of issues or incidents. I can't imagine anywhere else trying to process so many buyers and vehicles. And from what I have read around the country, moving 25-40 cars per location daily has been more manageable.

It was a battle, but incremental progress forward was made and the ground will not be lost. today compared to yesterday, there are 1000's of more VERY happy Tesla owners, drivers, advocates driving around the country with a giant grin from ear to ear and any memories of a bit of inconvenience from yesterday is nearly forgotten.

Mistakes were made, progress was made, onward to Mars!

side note relevant to the stock maybe: I will add that at one point, ~ca 12:30 PST, there was a great cheer form all the employees from the back office area behind the closed doors. I don't know exactly when Musk would have communicated internally or externally the decision to finalize the SEC deal (which COULD have elicited such a response, probably not though). I could imagine that some significant MILESTONE of deliveries was reached at that point. It COULD have just been some rallying cry, or that the Krispy Kreme donuts arrived, but it did seem significant so without saying anything there could be some upside to any delivery reports - more than we expect.

Last edited:
I think most of us are thinking about what he was able to pull off at Ford during a terrible time in the industry. I wouldn't hold one past misjudgement against him.

Thanks. I thought the same but my memory is squishy. And, whether we take any side on Musk's tweets, even though he did not admit in the judgment he made a mistake, he is certainly entitled to one like Mullaly.

By the way, though I love the playful Krugerrand cat, your's reminds me of a Wellesley girl who once said "what do you expect from a day that begins with getting out of bed." Also, did your cat drink too much last night? (With all due respect to Amy Klobuchar.)

Just put in a buy on open...not holding back.
Supporting the company and mission is more important than making a few dollars by trying to Market time.
We have seen this type of price action before several times throughout the past 4-5 months, and the open is often a 60-90 minute high, met with selling and a better buying oppty if one wants to truly get long. so, just sayin'

You don't know all the facts, only part of them.

I've seen Elon mess up plenty of times, going back to the early Roadster days. I don't think that was the case in this situation.

Elon took a different deal. You assume it's worse, most of us assume it's better.

Gorman was shared because he represented the most rational assessment which was inline with what many of us already figured out. There was not much question that the SEC case was very weak.
"Groupthink" would agree the earth is round, because it is.
Nope (just being difficult), it's any oblate spheroid.
As to the lawsuit, none of us know all the facts, and it's possible we never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.