Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla and Buffett are not a good match. Buffett is no techie nor does he invest in companies that are not already profitable .... spoting trends are not his strong suite.

Tim Cook would be amazing but it's too close to what Apple is already interested in ..... I would relish the idea of some sound marketing/business types sitting on the board but I really want a board that leaves Elon alone.

On another note, I'd be careful of putting too much faith in WS for tomorrow ..... you would be surprised how many people will read "stepping down as Chairman" and not even realize that the CEO is a separate job. I just want to see steady share appreciation ..... I do NOT expect this to deter shorts at all ... I think the Model3 numbers will be far more telling than the SEC news ... let's hope for a nice surprise.

Cheers to the longs

What does this mean?
It means that by Friday evening shorts thought they had it ALL figured out. Elon had rejected the initial SEc settlement and $TSLA was tanking down almost 14% it’s second biggest one day drop ever. I can’t blame shorts for doubling down their bets on Friday. if I was a short my thinking would go somewhat like this:
Money losing Tesla has no chance of turning profitable and even if it does its loser CEO is going to jail for fraud
Friday is just the beginning of a major downtrend and with the huge volume selling it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that $265 is just the start, not the end. Pretty soon SP will be below $200
Guess what I’ll short the hell out of this loser stock with its pathetic CEO and double down my bets
After all there will be months if not years of uncertainty hanging over the SP
Dude, I got it made. All I gotta do is keep on shorting this sucker to oblivion and laugh my way to the bank
I feel lucky today

Guess what, then came Saturday afternoon and well laid plans of mice and shorts turned to dust with the biggest bear trap in the history of stock market probably not so inadvertently laid by Elon
I expect SP to gap up at least 10 to 15% tomorrow AM if not more and this will be the start of a beautiful friendship with shorts because they’re about to pay for my next Tesla Roadster tomorrow alone

After leaving Fremont Delivery Center volunteering today, I came to Kato Rd to see the home delivery hubub, and while going there I see about 51 car carriers parked around Kato Road right now, only one of which has any cars (all Teslas on the carrier). This contradicts the Electrek story about not enough carriers, but is anecdotal.

The Fremont Delivery Center seemed much better staffed and organized today compared to yesterday.

It looks like Tesla’s delivery experience overall is improving eveywhere. I still think by November they will have made delivery streamlined.

Followup: at the factory out buffer lot, I saw 8 car carriers being loaded. It looked very active. I think the car carriers wait on Kato before coming to be loaded.

The factory employee parking lot is nearly full of employee cars at 6:57PM on a Sunday.

Last edited:
Just some names I would love to see on the Tesla board, those with proven business success with global and/or direct to consumer brands that are loved by customers:

- Phil Knight (Nike)
- Bob Iger (Disney)
- Jeff Bezos (Amazon)
- Richard Branson (Virgin)

(I think anyone from Apple would be too troublesome given there competing car project, but if that stopped then Tim Cook or Jeff Williams would be great.)

Someone like Jack Ma (Alibaba) might be an interesting choice as well.

This board speculation thing is a bit repetitive. Can’t anyone here think of more than the same five guys?

I think you’d want someone who was successful being an entrepreneur. Tesla is a very fast growing company. You need people that understand that. Ken Langone would be great, but he’s getting up there in age. Bezos would be awesome but I don’t think he sits on boards. Tesla doesn’t need technology help, they do fine at that on their own. Experience managing a rapidly growing company would be nice. And for the next couple of years, probably help in the logistical space.

I don't claim to know the right people to ask to be the next independent chairman and board member for Tesla. But I am glad that the choice of these individuals is Tesla's and that we get an opportunity to vote on their choice. I only hope that these individuals have the ability to help guide Tesla in perhaps this most important part of the company's growth. Tesla should view this part of the settlement to be an opportunity to obtain valuable advice on the items we do know about, like cash flow, production, logistics, international business, and how to counter the flood of FUD in mass media but perhaps most importantly the things we don't know about like what happens if a major recession comes or the impact of sanctions imposed by our country and others or how 5G and cloud-based AI will affect wireless data transfer.

I personally trust Elon and Tesla to make the right decision on how to choose board members who can help guide Tesla into the uncertain future.

This board speculation thing is a bit repetitive. Can’t anyone here think of more than the same five guys?

I think you’d want someone who was successful being an entrepreneur. Tesla is a very fast growing company. You need people that understand that. Ken Langone would be great, but he’s getting up there in age. Bezos would be awesome but I don’t think he sits on boards. Tesla doesn’t need technology help, they do fine at that on their own. Experience managing a rapidly growing company would be nice. And for the next couple of years, probably help in the logistical space.

Have you read the Phil Knight Autobiography Shoe Dog? Such a great read as he struggles for years balancing a rapidly growing global company while routinely riding massive debt redlines so closely to the point he was facing a federal investigation , as well as routinely having to fight government interference.

Agree with the wolf. And manufacturing distribution supply chain global regulations politics diplomacy etc. all on an unseen scale. People that have challenged the world with a capex consuming multi location physical enterprise manufacturing a finished good......something other than s/w and engineering. EM and team has that covered in spades....that's not where TSLA has struggled. Operators. We need an operational wizard of the same scale as these engineering wizards. Rising tides lift all yachts.

It means that by Friday evening shorts thought they had it ALL figured out. Elon had rejected the initial SEc settlement and $TSLA was tanking down almost 14% it’s second biggest one day drop ever. I can’t blame shorts for doubling down their bets on Friday. if I was a short my thinking would go somewhat like this:
Money losing Tesla has no chance of turning profitable and even if it does its loser CEO is going to jail for fraud
Friday is just the beginning of a major downtrend and with the huge volume selling it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that $265 is just the start, not the end. Pretty soon SP will be below $200
Guess what I’ll short the hell out of this loser stock with its pathetic CEO and double down my bets
After all there will be months if not years of uncertainty hanging over the SP
Dude, I got it made. All I gotta do is keep on shorting this sucker to oblivion and laugh my way to the bank
I feel lucky today

Guess what, then came Saturday afternoon and well laid plans of mice and shorts turned to dust with the biggest bear trap in the history of stock market probably not so inadvertently laid by Elon
I expect SP to gap up at least 10 to 15% tomorrow AM if not more and this will be the start of a beautiful friendship with shorts because they’re about to pay for my next Tesla Roadster tomorrow alone

Especially since everyone on CNBC was saying it's going to 150.

How to trade the Tesla plunge

How can you not discount a settlement happening?

I was at the Fremont delivery center today volunteering as a (prior) Tesla Model S owner. I think the paperwork could have gone better, but the environment was very nice. I was thinking of ways to prepare for delivering Model 3 half a decade ago back when Tesla wasn't even sure what name to call it (Model E or Model 3); I didn't see most my ideas implemented, because I never worked for Tesla. Yes, there were long wait times, etc. at the delivery center. However, I got to witness first hand the new customer exasperation with Tesla's disorganization be followed up with them driving away in their new cars quite happy. So, I got to see both sides of the coin. On the one hand, customers would use up their time waiting for paperwork by learning more about their new cars. On the other hand, as soon as the paperwork got finished, new customers would immediately say bye and drive away as soon as they were sure they knew how to reach home. The volunteers helped, because it offloaded a lot of time the employees could spend on paperwork. The new customers could learn essential things they had questions to, like what kind of charger station they could use, which button opened up what, how to get the display of SuperChargers on the map so they could get home, etc.

This all seems like trivial stuff to me that Tesla will have worked out soon, well before even December of this year, but then again, I've been known to be wrong on my predictions of what other people do quite often. I think delivery and service quality are going to be big focuses at Tesla. Right now, it's all hands on deck to fix delivery, and then it will be all hands on deck to fix service. You can expect to see exasperated service stories from the new owners over the next 8 months before service is Tesla's next fire to put out, but then Tesla will solve that, and it's on to Semi, Y, Pickup (I hope), and Roadster.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
I think you’d want someone who was successful being an entrepreneur.

Why would you want someone ambitious? I want a board that stays the heck out of the way. The only thing I want them to check Elon on is social media and timelines.

Advisers are fine, but they don't have to be board members to give advice.

The main power the board has is the ability to fire the CEO. The last thing I want is any sort of power play here by someone who thinks they could do everything better.

I have a ficus I'd like to nominate for the board ;)

Last edited:
I was at the Fremont delivery center today volunteering as a (prior) Tesla Model S owner. I think the paperwork could have gone better, but the environment was very nice. I was thinking of ways to prepare for delivering Model 3 half a decade ago back when Tesla wasn't even sure what name to call it (Model E or Model 3); I didn't see most my ideas implemented, because I never worked for Tesla. Yes, there were long wait times, etc. at the delivery center. However, I got to witness first hand the new customer exasperation with Tesla's disorganization be followed up with them driving away in their new cars quite happy. So, I got to see both sides of the coin. On the one hand, customers would use up their time waiting for paperwork by learning more about their new cars. On the other hand, as soon as the paperwork got finished, new customers would immediately say bye and drive away as soon as they were sure they knew how to reach home. The volunteers helped, because it offloaded a lot of time the employees could spend on paperwork. The new customers could learn essential things they had questions to, like what kind of charger station they could use, which button opened up what, how to get the display of SuperChargers on the map so they could get home, etc.

This all seems like trivial stuff to me that Tesla will have worked out soon, well before even December of this year, but then again, I've been known to be wrong on my predictions of what other people do quite often. I think delivery and service quality are going to be big focuses at Tesla. Right now, it's all hands on deck to fix delivery, and then it will be all hands on deck to fix service. You can expect to see exasperated service stories from the new owners over the next 8 months before service is Tesla's next fire to put out, but then Tesla will solve that, and it's on to Semi, Y, Pickup (I hope), and Roadster.

Interesting. My neighbor bought a new S and no-one showed him how to reboot. Probably the most important thing at least for me in five years.

CNBC actually has a headline and article talking about Musk's - We are going profitable emails. Maybe the money makers realize the SP is going back up tomorrow, so why not go long this week and get as much money from the shorts as possible? I guess we'll see if there are multiple positive headlines tonight and tomorrow and if they stay on the feed for more than two minutes....

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
Considering how small the amount is in comparison with Tesla's market cap I will consider my (paper) loss from buying on the 420-tweet to be compensated by the SEC when they caused the SP to drop Friday, giving me the opportunity to increase my number of shares.

Can this be true? I assumed that the loss would have to be a real loss as in buy high sell low. Just because I bought at 350 in hope of 420 does not give me a loss unless I sell which I am not going to do.

Agree with the wolf. And manufacturing distribution supply chain global regulations politics diplomacy etc. all on an unseen scale. People that have challenged the world with a capex consuming multi location physical enterprise manufacturing a finished good......something other than s/w and engineering. EM and team has that covered in spades....that's not where TSLA has struggled. Operators. We need an operational wizard of the same scale as these engineering wizards. Rising tides lift all yachts.
Oh, Oh, I know. How about Mike Lindell the MyPillow guy? Just keep him away from the crack. :D

834CB575-189C-4F14-B31A-4B8EF832A5C6.png
I’m directly quoting this gentleman on Twitter and he is right
$TSLA is already up 10% premarket in Euro Germany?

Ellec

·
48m

$TSLA up 10% in euro markets already.

Status
Not open for further replies.