Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This probably futile, but...

How are longs any different? If I buy a share of Apple tomorrow and go long, my bid will have some microscopic effect on the share price (or "opinion"), I will have contributed nothing of value to the Company, and I will absolutely be trying to make money off the labor of others. Aren't we all really playing the same game? How can I be good when I'm long, and evil when I'm short?

How about when we trade spreads? Am I good when I sell a put at 250 and buy one at 200, and bad when I sell a put at 200 and buy one at 250? Or is it the other way round?

Does anyone here have any doubt that the SEC is turning a blind eye to the price manipulation and media collusion that we see play out every day?
Yes, there's only crickets about the 1008 Puts bought during the day before news of the SEC lawsuit was announced. That's a $31 million profit, puts sold the next day ( 1 day expiry). And somebody did the same again on Monday, with $265 calls sold when the share price was above $305

Who knew and when did they know it? Somebody is trading on insider information from the SEC investigation. What did the lawsuit ask for, "disgorge their profits"?

I do hope Elon brought this up with the Judge and SEC.

honestly I vote for @neroden or @DaveT to write a long open letter to Musk publicly that covers why us longs are so disappointed in him right now. should mention the pedo stuff so. should stress Elon has a bigger mission that he endangers with twitter of all things. and also like he tells his employees he needs to ignore the noise and focus on executing day in and day out. maybe he needs to study up on how startup CEOs like Hoffman and Zuck adjusted their behavior once their companies matured.
Maybe you or someone can ask him face to face at the annual shareholders meeting

First I brushed this off as tin foil hat thinking. But then I thought about Elon's tweet about it is SEC who needs his cooperation to get the judge approval. Either he is imagining things, or maybe he does not intend to cooperate with the SEC anymore!

He can formally announce that he is backing out. The stock would tank. And then take Tesla private.

Hi Folks,

Not sure what to think yet about this latest move in the ongoing struggle for the soul of Tesla. A few things come to mind: (starting to form some ideas about the next 6 months)
  1. Elon may have previewed the proposed settlement letter and balked
  2. Shares were down $15 by midday, but only another $6.5 after-hrs post tweet
  3. very likely TSLA will open down further tomorrow as Media picks up the story
  4. one thing seems clear, Elon is in a fighting mood right now
  5. by nature, Elon exhibits only Righteous Anger not to be trivialized or discounted
  6. let me emphasize: I think Elon is PISSED, not BROKEN (he is motivated)
  7. he also burned some bridges today (ie: SEC); so he's not going back that way
  8. one of Elon's choices may just be to resign as CEO and Chairman of Tesla
  9. that would free him to start buying up shares as an outsider investor
  10. owning just 30% more TSLA shares, Elon could force a go-private motion
  11. shorts don't realize it yet, but their existential threat is a private TSLAP
  12. so where does TSLA bottom out, and can Elon afFORD* it on his own?
  13. Elon would give up $300B CEO compensation for $500B as majority shareholder
  14. if a go-private buy-out could be done for $50B, that's a 10x return on investment in 10 yrs
  15. BTW, at the current SP, Elon would only need ~ $14B to buy up a majority of TSLA
  16. Can he borrow that much against SpaceX? @Fact Checking @neroden Others?
So, really, I do not know what tomorrow will bring, or next year. I do know that there is never a dull day in TSLA-town, and that one element is present even when all else is in doubt.

Cheers, best wishes to all. Exciting times! :cool:

NOT AN ADVICE

*Note: Read more about how Henry Ford took Ford Motors private, here:
Remember That Time Ford Went Private? Elon Musk & Henry Ford ...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
New Tweet from Musk - does this sound ominous to anyone else?
"People sometimes forget that a company is just a group of people gathered together to make products. So long as it makes great products, it will have great value."

Is he saying that it doesn't matter precisely who the people are, i.e. that is planning to step down?
I take that at face value. He's just saying that as long as they keep making great products the company will be valuable. Sort of a reassurance that the stock will be ok long term.

I don't think that tweet means that at all. Rather, I think it shows that Elon believes that the SEC needs his cooperation in writing a joint letter to the judge that will convince the judge to approve it, more than he needs to placate the SEC. I don't read the tweet as saying anything about what the judge thinks.
In another words he has full intention to back out. The logical next step is either to fight a multi year lawsuit or take Tesla private on the cheap, maybe even 280.

Maybe that is my wishful thinking as I really want to be a TSLAP holder!

Seems illogical. Over the long-term shorts can't make a stock go down because we have to buy it back. All that we can do is smooth out some peaks and try to assess the fundamental value.
If there's a 30% short interest in the stocks, it means a lot more stock was sold than normally and the price is depressed, so if index fund investor needs money back and the stock is sold at the moment of 30% short interest, then they get much less money for their stock...
Probably not as much impact for stocks where short interest is small, but if you're talking $TSLA, investors saving maybe 1%/year on fund fees could lose a lot more when they are missing out on the big chunk of their stock value.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I take that at face value. He's just saying that as long as they keep making great products the company will be valuable. Sort of a reassurance that the stock will be ok long term.

And this is where his mind plays tricks on him.
You can have the best product in the world, if the image is ruined nobody’s interested.

It’s uncool.
Tesla is becoming uncool through his fallouts.

Some of you seem to need a reminder

hqdefault.jpg
Well said.

Look, I'd be happier if he Tweeted more carefully and also don't mind if he takes some time off, but I think both the Pedo and the SEC tweet-series is due to his personality. If he believes he is right he is just unable to stand down.

What people are forgetting is that this is the same personality that gave us Tesla and SpaceX. Most rational business men or tech innovators would have given up at multiple times during the history of his companies. The odds were so low, the naysayers were so loud, the chances were so slim it was absolutely reckless and irrational to keep going on. Yet he did and here we are.

If you are thinking a well adjusted super rational person is going to fight the powers that may be and change the world, you are wrong. Look at Apple. My friends know I have little love for that company or their products, but even I acknowledge that Jobs was one of the most brilliant and influential tech leaders of all time. Tim Cook is a great "boring" CEO and can manage a steady ship very well, but name just 1 revolutionary product Apple released since Jobs passed. iPhones are getting bigger, thinner and they get a new shade of color every year, but that's about it.
Tesla needs Musk. We just need him to be a little more considerate.

Obviously Elon is trying to create controversy on purpose. It's not lack of control. He's a gambling man with a strategy. He's getting his chess pieces in position for check mate, or "short burn of the century" as he calls it. I know he predicted it to happen sooner, but he's been known to be late. "I would never bet against Elon" is common sentiment for a reason. Luckily I have some dry powder for tomorrow.

He also wrote this a few minutes ago:

@elonmusk: "If you think Tesla is overvalued compared to probable value of future cash flows, sell. Otherwise, buy."​

This would read rather awkwardly if Q3 cash flow was a disappointment.
It's just a factual statement. He's trying to get people to think rationally.

You could replace Tesla with anything....

"If you think Apple is overvalued compared to probable value of future cash flows, sell. Otherwise, buy."
"If you think Snapchat is overvalued compared to probable value of future cash flows, sell. Otherwise, buy."
"If you think General Motors is overvalued compared to probable value of future cash flows, sell. Otherwise, buy."
you get the picture

Reactions: neroden
The latest tweet about short sellers actually reassures me a little - makes me wonder if the tweets this evening may just be out of frustration at the share price reaction following the good Q3 numbers.
Indeed. At first I was worried he may be at a bad place and say something more damaging than just that snarky joke. But the rest of the tweets show he is just as frustrated with the price action as we are. Still not a smart tweet but the rest of his tweets put it into perpective.

It's just a factual statement. He's trying to get people to think rationally.

You could replace Tesla with anything....

"If you think Apple is overvalued compared to probable value of future cash flows, sell. Otherwise, buy."
"If you think Snapchat is overvalued compared to probable value of future cash flows, sell. Otherwise, buy."
"If you think General Motors is overvalued compared to probable value of future cash flows, sell. Otherwise, buy."
you get the picture

Now he's thinking like a short!

• Funny
Reactions: Tslynk67
Status
Not open for further replies.