Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2018-10-10_12-4-17.png

I have to admit, every time I see this in a post with a pasted link, I think it is a fair question to ask Bloomberg as only a robot would continue to mindlessly spout such drivel.

Putting aside Murdoch's politics and ancestry, I struggle to see what qualification he has to be on Tesla's board never mind taking the role of chairman. There must be thousands of more suitable candidates that could bring some experience or vision to the table. This is a great opportunity to make a positive change and show intent.

Netflix is down over 6% today. Couldn't be me :D
Putting aside Murdoch's politics and ancestry, I struggle to see what qualification he has to be on Tesla's board never mind taking the role of chairman. There must be thousands of more suitable candidates that could bring some experience or vision to the table. This is a great opportunity to make a positive change and show intent.

yeah. Murdoch makes less and less sense as a board member as time goes on. Recall that in the past, Musk was on Trump's environmental advisory team (or whatever it was called) but pulled out about a year ago. Perhaps Musk thought he would be able to bring Republicans into the fold via 4d chess, and maybe he now realizes how fruitless that was.

Or something

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I agree with everything you said except Subaru being as good as dead. Subaru makes great vehicles, ICE granted, but great nonetheless. They are extremely safe, dependable, and really keep their value. I hope they are smart enough to make the conversation to EV's in a timely manner. If not, the model Y, if it's affordable, will be huge competition for them, but there are a LOT of dedicated Subaru buyers. They will be a tough nut to crack IMO.
Until battery costs come down to sub $7k then mass market ICE vehicles will continue. Until then I say let's focus on capturing the premium segment.

Until battery costs come down to sub $7k then mass market ICE vehicles will continue. Until then I say let's focus on capturing the premium segment.
I don't think it makes much sense to focus on the (implied per unit) battery cost. You can make sub $7k batteries for EVs -- my understanding is that its being done in China already. Naturally, you give up things like range...

Talking about the cost per kwh makes more sense and works in generalizations, though it ignores the efficiency of the EV in utilizing the battery. And other factors are quite significant (such as degradation over time, which it appears Tesla is managing better than others).

If you take $100/kwh (which Tesla is the closest to) then a $7k battery would be 70kwh. Even at current price efficiency this should be better than 50kwh. That isn't going to give a good range, but it beats the heck out of the 20kwh EVs...

Netflix is down over 6% today. Couldn't be me :D

yeah. Murdoch makes less and less sense as a board member as time goes on. Recall that in the past, Musk was on Trump's environmental advisory team (or whatever it was called) but pulled out about a year ago. Perhaps Musk thought he would be able to bring Republicans into the fold via 4d chess, and maybe he now realizes how fruitless that was.

Or something
Murdoch was pushed by the Wall Street during last campaign against Musk.

Why he is in the Tesla is obvious.
Here is a typical hit piece. (just random google)

James Murdoch, 21st Century Fox’s chief exec and a member of Tesla’s board, is the leading candidate to become chairman of Tesla following Elon Musk’s deal with the SEC to step down from the role, according to a Financial Times report.
Link:
James Murdoch the Frontrunner to Replace Elon Musk as Tesla Chairman (Report)
They act and behave like a mafia.

@brian45011 do you believe they will be able to do this?

We all will have a clearer picture in four weeks. If Tesla wants to resume its growth trajectory by continuing developing planned new products and begin producing them in reasonable time-frames, it will not be able to fund them fully with internally generated capital.

My guess is Tesla will have a sizeable equity offering in the second part of 1Q19 after the audited 10k is filed. luvb2b's 3Q18 Cash from Operations estimate is predicated on a large increase ($2.2 billion) in payables. He has cautioned about relying with certainty on his assumptions and modeling. q2-q4 2018 financial projections Filling the M3 delivery pipeline to international markets will need working capital.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.