Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some drama at Google self driving unit:

A Google self-driving car reportedly caused a crash in 2011 after a former engineer changed its code to drive where it wasn't supposed to (GOOG, GOOGL)

Looks to me that google’s self self driving unit works like GM’s lane assist, the car only works on intended roads, take it outside of that area and it’s useless.
Sorry. After a week's vacation and another week racing to get up to date on this thread, I'm still 24 h and 180 posts behind ...
But isn't that article even more antiquated, from 2011 it seems?

Also interesting piece of info in the second part of that article. It says Audi is currently "locked in negotiations" with LG as the Koreans want to increase the price due to high demand. Wait what?

As I've said before, many of these companies are going to pay dearly for making the mistake on skipping building out their own battery production. They are all competing for the limited production capacity of the same few players - in this case Daimler and Audi for LG's. Normally, when demand grows, production scales and prices fall. In this case, production can't keep up with demand for a few reasons:
  • Raw materials production needs to scale as well and much of it is already sold ahead of time in long term contracts.
  • Some of these customers (car OEMs) publicly entertain the idea of switching over to solid state batteries soon (yeah, right...) so the battery suppliers are probably cautious of over expanding capacity.
  • They don't want to break down their own prices.

I have it on good authority from my astrology believing wife that Tesla SP is shooting up in 2 weeks. I am already more than a little annoyed that she will claim victory rather than it being anything to do with the predicted Q3 profit...
Anyway, I have work to do - more chickens to count before they lay eggs into my small and singular basket.

But "longs" have no bearing on the price as well....??
Organizations that hold MILLIONS of shares don't have some control of the price?
Allll righty then.....
Its like the used car market. People who are just driving them with no intention to sell or buy - have little influence on the used car market.

If there are people who are selling cars they don't have at a low price, they will determine the price.

But "longs" have no bearing on the price as well....??
Organizations that hold MILLIONS of shares don't have some control of the price?
Allll righty then.....
Its like the used car market. People who are just driving them with no intention to sell or buy - have little influence on the used car market.

If there are people who are selling cars they don't have at a low price, they will determine the price.

Tesla Passes Mercedes To Become Most Followed Car Brand On Twitter

So Elon’s Fortnite tweet surpasses 1m likes, making it one of the most liked tweets in Twitter history.

Elon’s interview video with Marques Brownlee is the most liked video in the history of Marques Brownlees highly popular product review show on YouTube.

Elon’s interview with Joe Rogan is the most liked video in the highly popular Joe Rogan podcast history on YouTube.

Now Tesla most followed car brand on Twitter.

And in the past couple months of wild times, Elon has added well over a 1 million new Twitter followers to his account.

These metrics are the reality folks.

Hope more begin to see attacks on Elon are very much tied to Tesla and company clear disruption of not just industries but economic establishments in my opinion.

Signal over the noise. And the noise is at 11.

Okayyyyyy, but your example makes no sense...

With a short sale, a new share ~is~ created..... It's temporary, I give you that, but, it's created...
And it has both a seller and a buyer...

Let me ask you a question..
When someone buys a stock, does the buyer know if the seller is someone who owns the stock, or if the seller is a short seller who just created (by borrowing) that share??
And how ~would~ they know?

hint: It could be either.....you'd never know...
could be naked shorts? phantom shares - you think anyone actually audits all these trades? you trust who ever you think is?

Also interesting piece of info in the second part of that article. It says Audi is currently "locked in negotiations" with LG as the Koreans want to increase the price due to high demand. Wait what?

As I've said before, many of these companies are going to pay dearly for making the mistake on skipping building out their own battery production. They are all competing for the limited production capacity of the same few players - in this case Daimler and Audi for LG's. Normally, when demand grows, production scales and prices fall. In this case, production can't keep up with demand for a few reasons:
  • Raw materials production needs to scale as well and much of it is already sold ahead of time in long term contracts.
  • Some of these customers (car OEMs) publicly entertain the idea of switching over to solid state batteries soon (yeah, right...) so the battery suppliers are probably cautious of over expanding capacity.
  • They don't want to break down their own prices.

First time I thought these guys are nearing the end of the road. Increasing material costs in the face of collapsing demand? While on the other hand Tesla's costs keep decreasing with volume. TSLA might turn out to be more lucrative than the best bull case.

Tesla Passes Mercedes To Become Most Followed Car Brand On Twitter

So Elon’s Fortnite tweet surpasses 1m likes, making it one of the most liked tweets in Twitter history.

Elon’s interview video with Marques Brownlee is the most liked video in the history of Marques Brownlees highly popular product review show on YouTube.

Elon’s interview with Joe Rogan is the most liked video in the highly popular Joe Rogan podcast history on YouTube.

Now Tesla most followed car brand on Twitter.

And in the past couple months of wild times, Elon has added well over a 1 million new Twitter followers to his account.

These metrics are the reality folks.

Hope more begin to see attacks on Elon are very much tied to Tesla and company clear disruption of not just industries but economic establishments in my opinion.

Signal over the noise. And the noise is at 11.
And for insights into traditional US automaker management

Stupid and probably unrealistic thought I’ve been entertaining for a while now: can’t a person, company, fund or institution with very deep pockets gobble up all those 40 million free shares (and any more that come available)?

Slowly over a period of several months, so as not to push up SP too much. And preferably timed so that it takes the longest time before the stake has to be announced.

At current SP it would cost 10 billion, but if SP slowly goes up maybe 15 billion. A lot of money, but not out of reach for some parties in this world. More money would have been involved in the going private venture.

At the end of the buying liquidity would dry up and the short squeeze would happen for sure. And fhe ownership situation would be comparable to what it would be under a private Tesla.

Fire away! (paraphrasing another poster) :rolleyes:
Been having this exact same thought - thanks for posting

We know from his "Location" that Fact Checking is in Vienna -- and he doesn't seem like the sort to deliberately falsify location! I can't think of any people in Vienna who he might be, therefore I assume he's someone I've never heard of.

BUT which Vienna ?

Vienna Georgia
Vienna California
Vienna Virginia
Vienna Missouri

Surly not Vienna Austria. They don't speak english !

Out of character.
I am amazed how many (as a second or third language) write english with such eloquence.

Last edited:
There’s gonna need to be an ELI50 on the Fortnite tweet.
For a friend...
Tell your friend Elon played along on a cultural joke about video game obsession and the only way to save humanity from extinction is by forcing himself to buy the game company and delete the product from the face of the earth so that kids will leave the basement and actually interact with people in person.

Viva la humanity! and ever after stuff.

All a joke that many people thought was funny and liked his social media tweet.

Is there a way to short the securitization of ICE loans? Sorta joking... but also serious. Kinda reminds me of the movie the Big Short. You might be onto something. Obviously the inflection won't happen for a while but... kinda makes you think.
Sorry I see that Reciprocity posted basically the same thought. I posted mine before having chance to read his. Nice to know we're on same wavelength. Sorry for redundancy. (This thread moves too fast; hard to know if the thought you have has already been posted.)

Last edited:
Sorry. After a week's vacation and another week racing to get up to date on this thread, I'm still 24 h and 180 posts behind ...
But isn't that article even more antiquated, from 2011 it seems?

No. It's recent news about an event in 2011 that only now came to light.

Waymo has done a great job managing PR so far (painting themselves as "the responsible self-driving car company"), and it's about time they got taken down a peg.

With the level of disruption to the auto and associated industries, this will likely create a large negative impact on the overall economy. Huge numbers of jobs will be displaced. It probably wouldn't be a bad move to just short the S&P while holding TSLA. I don't expect the stock market to find this seismic shift pleasant. There will be great growth beyond it, but we must first get through the economic disruption. I do not know how far out this is, but we are now seeing the decline in ICE auto sales.

I don't think the size of this (ICE loan securities) is anywhere near the subprime mortgage securities of 2005-2008; the economy will be able to absorb it much better.

RE OEM decline - I think they will continue throwing billions of dollars at electrification, further creating jobs and stimulating the economy. Some will fail, some will merge, and some will make the painful transition. But overall, I don't see a recession/depression coming due to ICE decline. New jobs in EV and solar will help offset impact of ICE decline as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.