Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what many people used to californian style roads do not understand./ I live in rural UK. In my trip to the nearby town I will drive down 50% single-lane roads with zero road markings, and thick hedges on both sides. I will likely encounter a few mini-roundabouts (they are EVERYWHERE in the UK), and probably at least one dead badger in the road. Its pretty likely there will be pedestrians in the road at some point, and I may well have to slowly drive around some people riding horses.

At its ABSOLUTE widest, there is no room for me to pass a cyclist safely if there is a car coming in the opposite direction.

Needless to say cell signal is intermittent at best along this entire route.

FSD on the streets of LA is one thing. FSD in the snow where I live is likely several decades away, and I say that as a professional computer programmer with huge faith in Tesla.

If only there was a way to beam a high speed internet connection everywhere on Earth.... like from Space or something...

That reuters article is misleading. The build out of starlink is going to be cash-flow negative for a long time (consider it infrastructure investment)! It will be counter to spaceX's profitability, not critical for their cash-flow. someone has a narrative to push.

as for Tesla, the sooner starlink is up, the sooner they can stop paying at&t for all the new cars going into service.

You'd need a "pizza box" on top of the car, and it's line of sight. Not ideal for cars. While they _could_ make use of it, I don't really see it happening.

Really, I do think it's just another way to make lots of money via allowing people to get good Internet wherever they are.
Tristan da Cunha will be much more appealing.

That reuters article is misleading. The build out of starlink is going to be cash-flow negative for a long time (consider it infrastructure investment)! It will be counter to spaceX's profitability, not critical for their cash-flow. someone has a narrative to push.

as for Tesla, the sooner starlink is up, the sooner they can stop paying at&t for all the new cars going into service.

It's not going to be cashflow negative for that long, only the first year or so until they get the first 800 satellites up.

This project actually has the potential to rake in absurd amounts of money. This is why SpaceX is so quiet about it.

Once it goes up they'll make bank on it alone from backhaul connections, especially from wealthy customers in the finance industry where a few less milliseconds of lag is important.

I believe we are in agreement. Was curious because musk said decision about making batteries at China factory not decided yet

Your statement says "highest priority to make batteries in China". Fred's article says they are putting priority of building capacity at the Gigafactory "over" China. The word "over" in this context means they are not prioritizing China.

Anyone else tested the latest software "Navigate on Autopilot"? Really love it.

It is scary good! Been using it in MADMAX mode. The navigation exit to exit is smooth and feels like a human is in control. I have been using it in fairly light traffic so far.

Marked improvement in smoothness of both car and target presentation. Targets are appearing and tracking in a very real-time mannner. Yesterday it was tracking 13 vehicles simultaneously!

Taking this in combo with the Tesla Daily interview makes me think Tesla is on the verge of a crushing breakthrough on automation that will result in thousands of lives saved from traffic deaths and billions saved from injuries.

Fire Away!

This should have been how the Feds jump starts the adoption of EV's. Could you imagine how sales would have taken off if allowed the 20mph over posted speed limit? We wouldn't give a flying fig what the range was, how to charge on a trip, what do I pay per kWh? And you wouldn't have to listen to the whining of the heavily subsidized, FF burning, coal rolling, where's my tax credit crowd. Would cost the taxpayer absolutely nothing. Brilliant I say.
Incentives for EVs will soon begin phasing out. When are the #FossilFuel production tax credits scheduled to be phased out?

AFAIK, rest of the World didn't even receive the updated maps yet, I certainly haven't, and this is what, one year after they rolled-out in the USA. I would assume V9 is reliant on these maps and I don't see it coming to use very soon. Which is annoying to say the least.

Service Center installed new maps on my MS on monday.

This should have been how the Feds jump starts the adoption of EV's. Could you imagine how sales would have taken off if allowed the 20mph over posted speed limit? We wouldn't give a flying fig what the range was, how to charge on a trip, what do I pay per kWh? And you wouldn't have to listen to the whining of the heavily subsidized, FF burning, coal rolling, where's my tax credit crowd. Would cost the taxpayer absolutely nothing. Brilliant I say.
To my opinion having different speed limits on the same road is dangerous. Speed limits should be based on safety not electric versus gas.

Reactions: Todd Burch
You'd need a "pizza box" on top of the car, and it's line of sight. Not ideal for cars. While they _could_ make use of it, I don't really see it happening.
The hard part is the moving target part. Starlink will used phased array antennas, which create a narrow directional signal. When the car moves, it'll be out of the beam.

Elon himself said he doesn't expect to use starlink for Tesla vehicles, but rather for fixed bases. I think Supercharger stations will be the first Tesla application for Starlink ground stations.

TSLA pitched battle for $335 going on right now.
NASDAQ-100 down 0.5% in the last 25 min

Status
Not open for further replies.