Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia appears tied to Bitcoin, which is physically flawed due to the proof of work requirement (work being energy, it uses more energy than Ireland, it's an unscalable product).
Hopefully people can recognise one bad apple...
I own Nvidia calls and stock and this statement is a bit too broad. Nvidia is not directly affected by Bitcoin...Bitcoin is mined using ASICS ,not GPUs. Other coins use gpus and Nvidia had told us for several quarters the crypto $$$ prodits were at basically zero. What they didn't realize (they should have) was that a ton of crypto used cards then flooded the market and now they have alot of inventory piled up they have to work thru. It's really more an inventory issue. Again, not used for mining Bitcoin though.

I will keep saying this till people stop forecasting recession without considering that energy is the uber-factor.

In the months prior to the GFC the oil price climbed steadily to $150 US per barrel. Blind Freddy could see it coming.

In a cleantech driven boom the pressure on the oil price will be downwards. History is now history.
I was in the same boat as you and spent a lot of time on TOD (TheOilDrum). Infact the plugins that started coming out 2010 onwards probably had a lot to do with the oil price shock - and the concept of Peak Oil. But there is some debate over what exactly caused last recession. It's probably a number of inter-related factors.

It's also not true that, that's the only way recessions can come about. If we only look for oil signal we'll miss the next recession.

Loved this paragraph - well said Ross Gerber:

“These people are much more concerned about profits than what’s best for our children,” Ross Gerber, a Los Angeles investor who backs Tesla, said of short sellers. “Morally speaking, you can short Snapchat all you want. Go short Facebook. Tesla’s whole purpose is to create an electric infrastructure so we can address the issue of climate change.”
Great quote. I tweeted - pls retweet.

EV Now on Twitter

shorts-wp.PNG

While all of the above rings true, I'm thinking if there's a recession/panic, then very likely there'll be a sell first, ask questions later logic ruling at least for a day.
I think 2008/9 was 30%-50% off of everything and I had no money other than 401k. Citibank at $1/share was such a sweet deal, now is $63.

Anybody remembers if there was any resilient stock that did not fall due to strong fundamentals? If no, there's a chance there could be a 30% off TSLA deal in the next recession.

The beginning of 2007 was sector based. Today's recession is all sectors. The one thing that's changed since a decade ago is that all sectors rise and fall together from being linked by ETFs.

There were 2 sectors that were resilient in 2008. Pharma and video games. But even those eventually crashed after a year. Which made today's market even weirder as all assets are crashing 2 months in. Even gold etfs, bonds you name it. While cash you use to buy daily goods is still getting its value inflated away.

This also (I believe) is one of the reasons Tesla came out with the MR Model 3. It may have also been to draw in some folks that were waiting for the SR. Regardless, I can't image any of the other auto companies shifting gears like this to address a supply issue and continue to work towards a higher production volume. They'd probably just slow production until supply caught up since they are conditioned towards annual product cycles. Tesla isn't built that way and certainly can't afford to just twiddle their collective thumbs waiting for supply to catch up.
Wrong as many companies go to extraordinary measures to work around supply constraints. My old company lost a critical piece of production equipment that cut off the equivalent of about 150 rail cars a day of production or 40% of our plant output. The production was down for 3 months yet we managed not to miss a single committed order or short a customer contract. Thousands of people put in long hour of overtime to make it happen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
I was in the same boat as you and spent a lot of time on TOD (TheOilDrum). Infact the plugins that started coming out 2010 onwards probably had a lot to do with the oil price shock - and the concept of Peak Oil. But there is some debate over what exactly caused last recession. It's probably a number of inter-related factors.

It's also not true that, that's the only way recessions can come about. If we only look for oil signal we'll miss the next recession.

Why does there have to be a next recession? It's not like it's dictated by the laws of thermodynamics.

Running an economy faster that the available energy supply permits is not possible. That *is* dictated by the laws of thermodynamics. Fortunately, the energy supply (for transport) will not be constrained by oil supply during a cleantech boom. We are not quite at this singularity yet, but it is soon. Each 1000 EVs creates a small glut of oil somewhere. As soon as the rate at which oil is displaced matches or exceeds the rate at which growth requires additional oil, we're there - no longer oil constrained.

Edit: I'm loving the disagree on this. It's really no more than a list of axioms. Dying to see which axiom is disagreed with.

Last edited:
I have this tinfoil hat theory that Elon Musk and Tesla has deep ties with the government. EV and autonomous driving will be the highest growth industry of the next 10-20 years, and our government will not let a Chinese company dominate this new industry... we will get extended tax credits

You are talking about U S government? Is this some kind of a joke?

Why does there have to be a next recession? It's not like it's dictated by the laws of thermodynamics.
That's a good question.

Obviously there is no physical law against it not happening - and no law that says it can't happen. So, we go by history - and say it seems to keep happening about once a decade regularly. So, we shouldn't be surprised if it does happen again in the near future - though there is a lot of uncertainty involved as to when in the future.

A lot of things can go wrong that affect the economy badly - and a certain number of them can happen together to make recession a reality. Exact sequence and importance of each factor varies with each recession - but is usually tied to asset valuation bubbles.

The housing bubble, the credit crunch, and the Great Recession: A reply to Paul Krugman

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
I have this tinfoil hat theory that Elon Musk and Tesla has deep ties with the government. EV and autonomous driving will be the highest growth industry of the next 10-20 years, and our government will not let a Chinese company dominate this new industry... we will get extended tax credits
Only if we had a functioning government with some kind of vision and sense of purpose.

Here is the Nasdaq doc covering short seller rules (couldn't find the link on the Nasdaq website though):
https://business.nasdaq.com/media/Nasdaq Blueprint to Revitalize Capital Markets_tcm5044-43175.pdf
Final page quote:
  1. Promoting Long-Termism

Immediate Action:
    • + Continue to provide choice on share class structure

• + Equalize short interest transparency
Immediate action - are we talking weeks? Is this a recommendation? What would the next steps be?

Of the 29m shorted shares, what % are linked to big corporations via dark pools or intermediary banks that cannot afford the bad press of being seen to bet against an eco company like Tesla?

They might decide to get out this year to avoid future disclosure requirements.

Short squeeze inbound??

However last September 26 Electric reported the following:
You are presenting Electrek articles as facts. They are not, Both carsonight (local knowledge) and JB Straubel (2018 Q3 CC )contradict Electrek about battery cell production.

Since this discussion is going nowhere and is off-topic for Market Action, I now leave this conversation. Cheers!

I don’t get the obsession with shorts (individuals, not mistaken with short interest),
because even if one disagrees, or laugh at them, it gives them the attention, they do not deserve - PLUS - steering klicks on their content, even from people never heard of them.
And - more importantly - it’s a waste of positive energy on the wrong stuff, that could have gone into teaching about the new star in the market: TSLA

So, since I can’t keep people from posting it here, because one day it might have value for someone’s stock decisions (it was never useful for me), I vote for a TMC-tool, where I can fill in some words to ignore posts by content (short, Chanos, Mirror, bankwuptcy, Lutz, Hull,..).

(Disclaimer: This is no response to anyone in particular, especially, as I don’t know, who will post at the same time, or minutes before writing this, this is no response to the last 10 posts)

Last edited:
Spiegel sounds totally nutty to me. Raving lunatic obsessive stuff. If I was his family I'd actually be concerned for him

Capture-2018-11-20-23-16-23.png

I love how he uses, as his profile picture, a photo of him standing in the middle of his burning investments and grinning as if nothing is wrong, while someone in a Tesla behind him desperately tries to rescue him from the flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.