Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there are a number of small countries that are making big switches - even larger ones like Germany. Regulations have been very important, though.
Like this one? I'm not sure in which country it was made.

Attachments

• on-off-switch-mural1-300x200.jpeg
    on-off-switch-mural1-300x200.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 76
Good piece. Carefully cited, 100% accurate.

Please tell me you are joking - the Wired piece from yesterday is one of the most blatant hit pieces against Elon recently. The few of the presented anecdotes we can verify in that article are extremely misleading and outright lies such as the reference to Martin Tripp or the reference to Vernon Unsworth.

For example these:

“You’re a horrible human being,” he emailed a former employee who had spoken out about Tesla, according to The Washington Post.

He sent a BuzzFeed reporter an email calling him a “****ing asshole.”​

The first reference is to Martin Tripp who apparently fled the U.S. and was dropped even by his (virulently anti-Tesla) attorney, the second reference is a private mail to a BuzzFeed reporter who betrayed and posted 'on background' discussions with Elon.

In which universe are these two sentences 'Carefully cited, 100% accurate'? They are 100% misleading, carefully designed to be narrowly factually true yet to give the almost exact opposite impression of the truth.

Just those two quick examples of deceit rob that article of any credibility regarding the other, unverifiable incidents. I think we can safely assume that by default all of those incidents are presented in a way that put Elon in the worst possible light. He's not a saint and he lacks self control in certain things, and he is certainly driven, but he is very, very far away from the sociopathic assh0le the article tries to paint him. Just a quick data point: all his exes are saying mostly nice things about him, and not because they must.

The timing of the Wired article is also very interesting now that $TSLA is nearing all time highs, after having shrugged off the $360 price levels to which only shorts attached any real significance.

@KarenRei analyzed the article in more detail I believe.

Last edited:
More good news:

1. 1m1 minute ago
    Breaking: With the approval of the State Council(China), State Council Customs Tariff Commission decided to suspend tariffs on cars and parts originating in the United States for 3 months from Jan 1, 2019. http://gss.mof.gov.cn/zhengwuxinxi/zhengcefabu/201812/t20181214_3093439.html … And import duty back to 15% for Tesla $TSLA

Twitter. It's what's happening.

And he also tweeted that Tesla already adjusted prices in Chine to new tariffs

Deutsche Bank starts Tesla with a Hold rating, $375 price target Deutsche Bank analyst Emmanuel Rosner started Tesla with a Hold rating and $375 price target.

LOL, what a coincidence: I'm sure they were running complex valuation models that accidentally came within $1 of yesterday's closing price. ;)

Decisions, decisions, do I pay an extra EUR10,000 to get to 100km/h 1 second faster? Red with white seats or blue with black seats? Argggh! :)

Research suggests that if you are like most customers then you most likely already made your decision regarding those purchase questions in the first 1-3 seconds, and now you are just trying to rationalize that decision to yourself and your wife - without even realizing that you are doing this. :D

A couple of good excuses to go Performance, if you are on the lookout for some:
  • Those 10,000 Euros as just numbers stored in a computer system, while the Model 3 Performance is real.
  • The pain of paying will be felt only once - the joy of having the car will be for years.
  • Acceleration is felt exponentially - "1 second faster" doesn't do it justice.
  • Higher motor performance helps quite a bit on highway speeds - EV motor torque drops at higher RPMs.
  • "Track mode".
  • When driving with your wife you can always enable Chill Mode, so they won't even notice what you truly have there.
  • The higher acceleration might also allow you to escape a T-bone accident at 100+ mph alive:
  • "Performance" orders will probably be served first.

Not advice. ;)

OT

As @Fact Checking and @KarenRei pointed out...
Good piece. Carefully cited, 100% accurate.
Bologna, there was no citing at all. And as for 100% accurate:

The poster thinks the article lacked context...
New The Wired article is actually very solid, despite not pointing out that Tripp's been accused of sabotage (and is probably guilty).

Or this poster who says the article is pure fantasy:
You should review the whoppers which got spread uncritically and had 99% of people believing them

Apparently, someone should get more sleep, they are being inconsistent...

There are zero links to source material "citings" to verify anything (as opposed to the quotes in this post which have links which show which ones are taken out of context)

Example:
Someone claims wind power is deadly

look at Australia, where wind is clearly killing

The only article update
Correction appended (12-13-2018, 1:00 pm EST): Elon Musk’s “horrible human being” email was first reported by The Washington Post, not Business Insider.

Autotariff is gone. Trump did it kind of scary.
Right. But AlexS' futures, I mean. What kind of scary are they?
Global macros are 'bad scary' - which is what is dragging $TSLA down in the premarket: there was an Euro mini-crash today, NASDAQ futures dropped a 100 handles (-1.5%) before recovering a bit, etc.
A million thanks, kind sir!

Research suggests that if you are like most customers then you most likely already made your decision regarding those purchase questions in the first 1-3 seconds, and now you are just trying to rationalize that decision to yourself and your wife - without even realizing that you are doing this. :D

A couple of good excuses to go Performance, if you are on the lookout for some:
  • Those 10,000 Euros as just numbers stored in a computer system, while the Model 3 Performance is real.
  • The pain of paying will be felt only once - the joy of having the car will be for years.
  • Acceleration is felt exponentially - "1 second faster" doesn't do it justice.
  • Higher motor performance helps quite a bit on highway speeds - EV motor torque drops at higher RPMs.
  • "Track mode".
  • When driving with your wife you can always enable Chill Mode, so they won't even notice what you truly have there.
  • The higher acceleration might also allow you to escape a T-bone accident at 100+ mph alive:
  • "Performance" orders will probably be served first.
Not advice. ;)

So its done! I bought the performance option, purely for fun factor. I didn't want to regret it later on when "only" going 0-100kmh in 4.8secs

And I went for blue with black seats. I have two small dirty kids and I can imagine being nervous all the time about getting the seats dirty. I love the red with white seats but it stands out a lot, I can be a little more discrete in blue which is important in the part of the world I live in.

Delivery in Feb or March. Cant wait!

Jesus, where is Germany ??? :cool:

Doesn’t matter anymore. Because China just waved its priority line ticket till March 31. I won’t hold my breath for more then 200 deliveries in Germany prior that. Even if we can configure tomorrow.

And regarding Deutsche Bank: What was the PT before 375? I mean if this is the first PT, they did sit in the conference calls long enough to have an opinion.

Last edited:
Why would anybody here wish you luck with your long put position? I hope they expire worthless.

I don't know enough about their situation. If they're overall bullish with Tesla, but just day or swing trading, I won't fault them (and even if they were a bear I'd still welcome them here, so long as they weren't astroturfing or trolling). Heck, even I - while I haven't done so - would not be above buying protective puts (don't think I could ever take an overall bearish position against this stock, however, regardless of what the market does... it's upside is just far too massive).

Reactions: Fact Checking
Tesla says Elon Musk doesn't 'randomly' fire people for no reason, and employees are allowed to disagree with him
  • Tesla hit back at a Wired piece which portrayed chief executive Elon Musk acting erratically and going on firing sprees.
  • Tesla called the piece an "overly-dramatic and sensationalized tale."
  • The company disputed stories of Musk going on firing rampages in the Gigafactory which caused employees to avoid going near his desk.
  • But Wired's report dovetails with earlier reporting from Business Insider, with employees likening the firm to a 'cult.'
Tesla says Elon Musk doesn't 'randomly' fire people for no reason, and employees are allowed to disagree with him

Chanos simply does not get it - he is still making the mistake of comparing Tesla to tradional car manufacturers. Again, a buffoon.

In the case of Chanos, I assume malice before ignorance.

He knows he is screwed, but also knows that his only chance is to dupe others into shorting the stock thus providing him with a new (short) seller so he can cover before going utterly bankrupt.

I am fully stocked up - on TSLA and on popcorn.

No, the SEC just needs to go back to doing its actual job. Like shutting down a massive media disinformation campaign run by people who concealed their identity and strawmen fronting for others, coordinated with timed holiday-weekend bear raids... that was what the SEC was *supposed* to regulate. Not honest mistakes by sleep-deprived CEOs who thought they had deals with untrustworthy sheiks.
In the abstract that is or should be their mission, in reality the lawyers at the SEC are positioning
Themselves to get jobs in the private sector working for hedge funds .

Yeah humiliate them with impunity , as Elon does at every opportunity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.