Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The customer deposit line also includes any additional payments on cars to be delivered but not yet delivered. That includes the deposit, but also any trade-ins, prepaid custom duties and payments received by electronic transfer a few days ahead.

Pre-sale trade-ins seem like they would be quite rare. That exchange usually does not occur until delivery day, else the buyer would be short a vehicle.

Couple things I’m wondering here:

1. If Elon has his shares held by a brokerage, can he have his brokerage lend the shares to shorts so he can earn interest?

2. If he can and is, once a certain percentage of the float is shorted, couldn’t he recall those shares or put a $1500 (arbitrary) sell order?

3. Could this trigger a squeeze?
1 Yes, provided they're not the shares he's pledged.

2 Yes, although if it was a very big order he and his broker are likely to have some rules on giving the broker prior notice

3 Possibly

Last edited:
The tax credit doesn't affect profitability, only demand. If in a quarter or two, demand is looking good, the tax credit ending shouldn't be an issue.
Tax credits (and taxes) relating to a transaction get shared between the buyer and the seller no matter which they are given to (imposed upon). The ratio of sharing depends upon the relative elasticity of supply and demand.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I usually don't care about FUDsters too much, but this one really piqued my attention:
Wolfgang Pipperger's twitter feed consists of almost 100% sensationalistic TSLA FUD while, get this, being "Directeur Commercial MB Vans at Mercedes-Benz France".

Is this something people working at other car companies are now (openly) doing to discredit a competitor?

If so, holy crap, that's pretty effing sad.

Well? What are we all waiting for?
Surely some of our 61000 ordinary TMC members can get on over to twitter and fight some FUD with facts? Elon’s had a rough week, let’s give him a hand.

Get your facts from teslaFUD.com

The momentum on the bull side has surged in the last few weeks. Twitter is lit up with FUD fighters. It’s been incredible.

This is so important, because bears can easily discredit one or a few FUD fighters, but a diversified FUD Fighting Fellowship army of hundreds? No way. They are toast.

I say get out on the battlefield and enjoy the ride. Stay above the personal attacks. Support each other. Distinguish between a handful of FUDsters who want to just waste your time(block them) and the vast majority on the bear side who simply were misled (educate them).As you participate, others will be attracted to join you.

It’s gonna be a hot summer.

It can in terms of buyer's options/ ASP. The 7,500 credit gives people the option of going EAP for 'free' without impacting delivery timing. Or spending 5k on premium interior to get their car earlier.
I'll agree that the tax credits can affect ASP and thus also affect profit margin. But it doesn't affect profitability, directly.

Tesla may have to make changes to pricing and option packages over time, to get the desired ASP and margin.

The tax credit does not "end" for a year.
That doesn't mean we can't determine how robust demand is in a couple of quarters. In two quarters, Tesla will probably have delivered around 90,000 additional Model 3. If the reservations are at 400-450,000, that indicates robust demand, as no one reserving now can expect to get the full credit, and maybe not even a partial credit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
That doesn't mean we can't determine how robust demand is in a couple of quarters. In two quarters, Tesla will probably have delivered around 90,000 additional Model 3. If the reservations are at 400-450,000, that indicates robust demand, as no one reserving now can expect to get the full credit, and maybe not even a partial credit.
That's true, although a current conversion/deferral rate would help more, and sooner.

That's true, although a current conversion/deferral rate would help more, and sooner.
Not really, Tesla has to start trying to sell the Model 3 before we can judge demand to any real degree. There needs to be Model 3's in every store globally, with test drives for everyone. The full range of options should also be available, with detailed information on the website, including pricing info.

The closer we get to the above, the clearer the picture will become. Right now we are very far away.

Not sure there will be a stiff short squeeze until profitability is demonstrated after the tax credit ends...

A new short seller acts like a weak holder. Weak holders keep the price from rising past "what they think the stock is worth." Exhausting the supply of weak holders is the reason bases exist. The sock only climbs dramatically after no one wants to sell the stock - no weak holders are left.

As long as people with money are convinced that Tesla cannot profitably sell cars after the tax credit ends, they will sell the stock whether they actually own it, or not.

The key to stock price appreciation is demonstrated profitability on the $35K version of the Model 3.

What this means is not an advise:

Speculative instruments may not work in short time frames (less than a year).
Profiably selling the base model sooner will help the stock price more than demonstrating margins at a price that folks do not think is sustainable at scale.
Remember that a lot of the professional shorts are hedging with the convertibles so their downside is capped.

I'll agree that the tax credits can affect ASP and thus also affect profit margin. But it doesn't affect profitability, directly.

Tesla may have to make changes to pricing and option packages over time, to get the desired ASP and margin.

Yeah, it is not a guaranteed direct impact. If people purchase purely based on feature set, then the credit has no impact. If their choices are based on net cost, the credit helps Tesla (with EAP purchases helping the most)

The tax credit is only for US deliveries. A large portion of those reservations are in places with no tax incentives, others in places like Norway with good tax incentives. What are the nationality breakdown of the current 400,000+ reservation list? We don't know but I'd guess half could care less about a US tax credit to begin with.

If the Tencent tour went well and Tesla had a few hundred thousand more deposits, maybe they wouldn’t need much financing?
I think depends on just how large GF3 will be.

We know that GF3 will produce both batteries and vehicles. Moreover the Chinese market is at least as big as the US market for all products. So if the appetite is to satifisfy domestic demand plus substantial surplus for export, we are talking about an extremely large campus.

So perhaps the following is a minimal estimate of capacity, mostly sized to Chinese domestic demand:
1M/y autos paired with 75GWh/y batteries
100k/y semi paired with 75GWh/y batteries
150GWh/y stationary storage

Total 1.1M vehicles, 300 GWh batteries

So rough ballpark guess $40B to $50B capital needed.

Note that China's installation of solar is exploding, maybe 45 GW this year. The overwhelming majority of this is rooftop solar, in part because the grid has such difficulty keeping up with the expansion of wind and solar. Easily 100GWh could be added to the grid each year just to catch up with existing transmission challenges. But there is also huge opportunity with rooftop solar, certainly to pair with Powerwalls. Solarroofs may be an attractive upscale market too, but I'm not including that in my list above.

So last week Musk lifted the middle finger to Wall Street, knowing that huge opportunities were brewing in China. We are looking at $40B to $50B capital needed for China's domestic market. How badly do Street Banks want in on that action? Perhaps showing a little respect to Mr Musk and Tesla would be in order. How badly do Chinese banks want in on this capital raise? How badly does the Chinese government want this financing to be done in the Chinese yuan? Perhaps deals have already been struck.

The deadline stated in that article is 2040 (!).
These car manufacturers do not have to worry at all about this law blocking them to sell their hybrids, as they will no longer offer them or be bankrupt before then.

Their anger about this proposed law just shows how much they are in denial.
157610_700b.jpg

I usually don't care about FUDsters too much, but this one really piqued my attention:
Wolfgang Pipperger's twitter feed consists of almost 100% sensationalistic TSLA FUD while, get this, being "Directeur Commercial MB Vans at Mercedes-Benz France".

Is this something people working at other car companies are now (openly) doing to discredit a competitor?

If so, holy crap, that's pretty effing sad.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Especially the focus on short selling, which seems an odd thing for someone working for a competitor to emphasize.

I am sure @SteveG3 will find this interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.