Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla China plant said to roll into Lingang Area, Shanghai

wild guess, its in a SEZ but not a FTZ
(so no import tax, but its batteries initially preclude cafe style credits either)

also it seems that Tesla is mostly locked out of debt capital raising, so stock it will be.

nb, patience was rewarded, Tesla get 100% instead of 50%
but

Would you please elaborate on the factual and tangible signs that you see to support "Tesla is mostly locked out of debt capital raising?"

Thank you in advance.

Elon wouldn't predict the "short burn of the century" if all he had was 5000/week and China gigafactory.

Well he also knew and said that the model 3 is a game changer, and reservations are not even the tip of the iceberg of what is to come in demand. And he knew and published that P3D and all wheel drive will hit the roads in about July.

In fact he now clarified that they already made 100 P3D for test drives.

IMHO this will bring in a deluge of preorders, much faster than I anticipated.

I thought it would be around thanksgiving that it goes rocketlaunch, but with this it may be a lot earlier. Just wait for the first P3D reviews from consumers and race track experts come in. The model 3 LR in itself is already epic enough for that to happen automatically by thanksgiving, (long weekend family test drive for 100k+ families all over US and canada) but this may trigger it much earlier.

I know because I have driven my Model 3 LR since january and still am looking for excuses to drive it every day to the point of having signed up with Lyft to give it some purpose in my spare time, and to talk to more people about what is coming. They are all pretty wowed that Model 3 slashes the cost by 50% compared to a Model S of similar specs, and that the car is as awesome as a Model S.

And as he and JB announced in the earnings call, tesla energy will play a much bigger role soon, too. The demand for battery and solar following electric driving increase in electricity consumption patterns is obvious, we are all just waiting for the execution and the excess demand to come to the surface.

Where are you folks getting "4 years" from? Electric states: The automaker confirmed the deal and said that it plans to start construction “in the near future” for the first cars to roll off the line in “2 years.”

And I think this will be beaten, given the steep learning-curve they've been through in the last couple of years.

No doubts all sorts of permits-and-*sugar* to get through that will take time, otherwise they'd just pitch a tent and have it spitting out M3's by the end of August :)

Edit: Tesla say 2-3 years to get to 500k

Tesla goes big in China with Shanghai plant
At least he has the Chinese government on his side.

Just wait for the first P3D reviews from consumers
P will not be the mass market car generating most orders. Spreadsheet indicates P to be about 11% of overall orders after 6/27 and that excludes all SR demand still waiting, so the real number for P could be between 5-8% of all orders.
I don't see how P test drives would change orders dynamics dramatically. I have my order in, but if I was a new customer considering Tesla for the first time and I just had a test drive, I would think "ok, this car is fast, but its out of reach for me financially. And those I can afford could be significantly slower/worse (nobody saw non-PUP yet)...I probably need to wait to see the equivalent of a car I can afford..." The way those P cars could be helpful is to validate whether the inside space is adequate, they didn't need to be P for that though. I think having RWD/AWD available for test drives instead of P could be more helpful.

P will not be the mass market car generating most orders. Spreadsheet indicates P to be about 11% of overall orders after 6/27 and that excludes all SR demand still waiting, so the real number for P could be between 5-8% of all orders.
I don't see how P test drives would change orders dynamics dramatically. I have my order in, but if I was a new customer considering Tesla for the first time and I just had a test drive, I would think "ok, this car is fast, but its out of reach for me financially. And those I can afford could be significantly slower/worse (nobody saw non-PUP yet)...I probably need to wait to see the equivalent of a car I can afford..." The way those P cars could be helpful is to validate whether the inside space is adequate, they didn't need to be P for that though. I think having RWD/AWD available for test drives instead of P could be more helpful.

I think its all about the first impression, and the P3D is going to make you gasp. People are already wowed with the LR version when I show them.

Thanks Troy/Teslike for the excellent tracker spreadsheet Model 3 Order Tracker #3 (Troy: There are a few identical files to avoid overcrowding)

Last edited:
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I think its all about the first impression, and the P3D is going to make you gasp. People are already wowed with the LR version when I show them.

Hey, do you have a link to the spreadsheet with the configuration adoption numbers? I wanted to look up SR vs LR etc but I couldnt find it any more.

As somebody that's been through the buying process twice (a used Roadster, Model X), even though I didn't get the Ludicrous Model X, you can bet that driving one gets your attention and leaves a very positive impression. I'm glad my Model X test drive(s) were in a Ludicrous X, even though we also decided to not get the Performance / Ludicrous option.

And besides, at least with S/X (and therefore I assume with 3), the test drive cars have the ability to "throttle" themselves down to different performance levels. A performance Model X can simulate an X75; an X75 can't simulate Ludicrous :)

Very happy with today’s price action. Just a $4 bump, but the SP ran up $9 in the last few hours of yesterday’s trading in anticipation of the China GF announcement. I think this bump is going to be spread out over days, if not weeks, as the market digests this news & its implications. As more details— especially financing— emerge, we’ll watch the financial media go through the stages of grief. From denial & anger, to bargaining (“how is Tesla going to pay for it?”), to acceptance.

I would presume that Tesla has the same capability to change the drive characteristics to other Model 3 versions as they have with the X and S so test drivers can get an impression of the acceleration in each of the available varieties.

As somebody that's been through the buying process twice (a used Roadster, Model X), even though I didn't get the Ludicrous Model X, you can bet that driving one gets your attention and leaves a very positive impression. I'm glad my Model X test drive(s) were in a Ludicrous X, even though we also decided to not get the Performance / Ludicrous option.

And besides, at least with S/X (and therefore I assume with 3), the test drive cars have the ability to "throttle" themselves down to different performance levels. A performance Model X can simulate an X75; an X75 can't simulate Ludicrous :)
When Roadster 2 is out once people take test drives there may be a large spike in bank robberies. First to pay for the R2 and then the fact they make a great getaway vehicle.

Test drive vehicles will definitely improve orders. My wife is up next for a car and she won’t buy until she test drives (and her 2000 Toyota Echo dies). Sure I could get a friend to come by and let her test drive their M3 but not everyone has that access. P or not, the public is not as stupid as most paint them to be. Everyone knows a SR M3 is just slower with less range. The test drive for my wife is not about POWER. It’s about seat position and comfort, mirror positions, and pedal reach. She’s only 5’ tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.