Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, CNBC is about to talk about Tesla after commercial break, said, "the real reason Tesla is having a production halt".
Was not pro Tesla like I was hoping. Maybe someone more tech savvy than myself can post but basically the quoted Elon saying that he stated he was now producing over 2k/wk M3's but a few days later shut the line down. Not sure what its being spun as a negative. The reality is that the sooner this happens the better. If the line didn't shut down for another month the that would mean they are not at capacity of software/hardware yet. Doing it now tell me the ramp is in fell swing.

FYI, CNBC is about to talk about Tesla after commercial break, said, "the real reason Tesla is having a production halt".
Was not pro Tesla like I was hoping. Maybe someone more tech savvy than myself can post but basically the quoted Elon saying that he stated he was now producing over 2k/wk M3's but a few days later shut the line down. Not sure what its being spun as a negative. The reality is that the sooner this happens the better. If the line didn't shut down for another month the that would mean they are not at capacity of software/hardware yet. Doing it now tell me the ramp is in fell swing.

And no mention in that segment of the Chinese decision to allow fully American owned electric car factories in 2018. That appeared to be a direct invitation to Tesla, which would be the most likely to benefit.

Earlier today I noted that traders too often focus on short term noise while ignoring long term benefits. I should have added the modern financial news media. At CNBC it's not only Kolodny, but even more seasoned LeBeau who will try to find problems with current happenings, rather than discussing the potential for something in the day's news that won't be implemented for months or years.

Last edited:
Updated intel from the factory w.r.t. manufacturing speed will arrive just in time for the earnings report. I think that will be a good week for TSLA.
A lot of people have commented on this, but I am doubtful. Has Tesla ever given a mid-quarter production number when asked on earnings? I can't remember them ever doing so.

A lot of people have commented on this, but I am doubtful. Has Tesla ever given a mid-quarter production number when asked on earnings? I can't remember them ever doing so.
They've also always given detailed update on ramp status. Maybe they won't give exact #s but if ramp is going well we could hear something like "Grohmann line running, Fremont M3 line production significantly higher than end of Q1, on pace for 5k/wk in ~2 months or sooner", and leave us to guess what "significantly" and "sooner" mean

• Funny
Reactions: ValueAnalyst

Yep. In the middle of the Model S ramp Tesla provided a production update with its quarterly report, stating that production had doubled since the end of the quarter. They may do something similar here and if not analysts will surely ask during Q&A.

November 5, 2012

Dear Fellow Shareholders,

The third quarter was a fundamental turning point for Tesla as we successfully transitioned to a mass production car company, growing from manufacturing 5 cars per week at the beginning of the quarter to 100 cars per week by the end. That rate has doubled since last month and is now at over 200 cars per week or 10,000 cars per year, which is at the critical threshold needed for Tesla to generate positive operating cash flow. One month from now, we expect Tesla to double production again and achieve the target rate of 400 cars per week or 20,000 per year. Despite many short term costs associated with the ramp, Tesla nonetheless expects to get approximately halfway to the 25% gross margin target by end of year. Tesla - Current Report

Yep. In the middle of the Model S ramp Tesla provided an update with its quarterly report, stating that production had doubled since the end of the quarter:

November 5, 2012

Dear Fellow Shareholders,

The third quarter was a fundamental turning point for Tesla as we successfully transitioned to a mass production car company, growing from manufacturing 5 cars per week at the beginning of the quarter to 100 cars per week by the end. That rate has doubled since last month and is now at over 200 cars per week or 10,000 cars per year, which is at the critical threshold needed for Tesla to generate positive operating cash flow. One month from now, we expect Tesla to double production again and achieve the target rate of 400 cars per week or 20,000 per year. Despite many short term costs associated with the ramp, Tesla nonetheless expects to get approximately halfway to the 25% gross margin target by end of year. Tesla - Current Report
Thanks. I only started following closely in early 2013, so I missed that!

Reactions: EinSV
When the X was ramping they shred a lot in their ERs - when the message was positive, that is. If they hit some new highs a they restart the improved line in a few days, you bet it will be mentioned! Not necessarily production totals of Q2, but production rate of the last week.

• Informative
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Status
Not open for further replies.