Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they already do that the last time they did their big accumulation? Can't remember. Maybe they stopped just under 5% so they didn't have to file.

i think they crossed 5% slightly early 2017 to report their position and since then sold a few shares to stay right under 5%. In the most recent filing where you can see this information "Definitive Proxy Statement" as of 26. April they are not listed as a 5% holder. I was wondering at this time and looked it up somewhere (i guess in the 10k) and found that there were just slightly under 5%.

Edit: It was not in the 10k but in the last Statement of Beneficial Ownership filed February 12 2018 dated December 31 2017. 4,97%

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: YasB and SW2Fiddler
The 10Q shows a seriously FUed balance sheet. $2.6B cash, only $600M receivables versus $2.6B payables and $1.9B of CURRENT debt (including leases). And they used $700M of cash last quarter. It's kinda of a wonder the stock price isn't taking more of a beating, frankly. I well know the long term prospects of this company, but this balance sheet is like a red flashing warning sign and klaxons sounding. Am I missing something in the balance sheet that makes it better?

The 10Q shows a seriously FUed balance sheet. $2.6B cash, only $600M receivables versus $2.6B payables and $1.9B of CURRENT debt (including leases). And they used $700M of cash last quarter. It's kinda of a wonder the stock price isn't taking more of a beating, frankly. I well know the long term prospects of this company, but this balance sheet is like a red flashing warning sign and klaxons sounding. Am I missing something in the balance sheet that makes it better?
You’re mssing the 2.6 billion in inventory, which is something that will become cash when it’s handed over to the custmoer.

Yes

this is not new information is it? has been as well in the letter.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel and EinSV
You’re mssing the 2.6 billion in inventory, which is something that will become cash when it’s handed over to the custmoer.
You know that those are all fake. Tesla can't build cars and if they did no one will pay anything for them so why count it?;)

So....biggest short position ever...ER call behind us....everything but the kitchen sink thrown at SP....Elon swearing profitability by 3rd Q, personally overseeing M3 ramp at this point and specifically on record as not wanting a secondary.

And now, the SP running and the pressure on the shorts beginning.

Opinions requested.

I think we could see a significant run, especially if bad news does not appear and if the VINs ramp properly on the M3 tracker. With such a huge short position does anyone see why day traders would not take this opportunity to try and run the stock to new highs (not to mention new buyers)?

Elon’s specific tweet about VW investing $23 billion in batteries had me thinking a bit. VW realizes they are way too far behind, hence, they are throwing money at the problem. Even Bosch couldn’t see themselves taking the risks in battery production... while many battery companies exist in China, most of those batteries will go to Chinese automakers.. and even if those batteries do exist for VW, it looks like one recipe is missing for them, and that’s making the battery packs/modules. This is where Tesla can step in to help. Would it be too far fetch to think that part of VW’s billions will go towards helping battery companies as well as Tesla scaleup packs/modules for them in some form of partnership? After all VW has no clue how to start. Mercedes invested $200 million in a battery pack facility, but that is really minuscule. Looking at the playing field I just don’t see too many companies capable of scaling up modules/packs for VW. They really need a partner who understands battery packaging. Right now Tesla is the best at what they do, seems like a feasible partnership wouldn’t you think? Now I’m not saying that the batteries for VW will be coming out of the GF, it might be coming out from China’s division of Tesla/Panasonic/VW.

In the past few days some people here have speculated that Elon’s tweet about “really big numbers” might be about VW’s announcement re a further $23 billion planned battery spend, but I have not seen a tweet from Elon explicitly about it.

Maybe there was such an explicit tweet and I missed it?

If not, would prefer clarity here between,

“Some think Elon may have been referring to VW in a tweet. If he was...”

and

“Elon’s specific tweet about VW...”

In the past few days some people here have speculated that Elon’s tweet about “really big numbers” might be about VW’s announcement re a further $23 billion planned battery spend, but I have not seen a tweet from Elon explicitly about it.

Maybe there was such an explicit tweet and I missed it?

If not, would prefer clarity here between,

“Some think Elon may have been referring to VW in a tweet. If he was...”

and

“Elon’s specific tweet about VW...”

No specific tweet.

Reactions: YasB
Tesla Will Reveal the Locations for Two New Factories in 2018

In the last quarterly call, Elon specifically stated discussions with various US States on a new factory.

It is 99.99% certain this new US factory will produce Model Y. Europe will almost certainly get Model Y from US until a European GF is built.

Chinese GF will likely serve Asia plus Australia and New Zealand.

I hope you are right but I just think building 2 factories right now will not be financially doable as things stand. Now if they get a Chinese partner as alluded to that is different. Any US plant will have to go down south near the suppliers one would think.

I agree. Highly unlikely there's any battery deal with VW. Tesla has their own battery/pack production tied up for the foreseeable future, even if they had 10 new gigafactories in the works.

My read is that Elon was referring to short interest when he was talking about large numbers.

Disclaimer: I'm a known optimist
What company is best set up to add another multi-GWh factory for automotive grade battery packs?
With a large enough deposit, they can build another in parallel.

Moats are lame, EVs for all!

Reactions: madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.