Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No kidding!

Just wait until after thanksgiving and count again, after 50,000 families got test drives from their kin over the long weekend all over the united states, and realize that CR is full of crap and that this is the most awesome car ever, ten years ahead of anybody else. Lots of more orders for model 3, s and x will come in then.

This would seem to be inconsistent with the flat Model 3 net reservations.
How do you conclude that the reservations are flat? The penultimate published number was about 400,000. More recently, they've shipped some tens of thousands, and yet the reservations are up to 450,000. Doesn't sound flat to me.

Well, the CR test results didn't help, especially the braking results. Oh well, just another muddy Monday.

CR calls "difficult-to-use controls" as a big flaw, that further reinforced my view that someone maybe corrupted at CR. I'm not sure ICE companies are paying them, or shorts are paying. I guess a lot of money is involved. ICE companies are fighting for survival, I would not be surprised if they try everything to slow down Tesla.

I recently got my Model 3. The experience is similar to switching from an analog phone to an iPhone. On day one, it takes sometime to find the functions, but after 3 days, it's difficult to go back to any old phones. The iPhone user interface is very intuitive and easy to use.

I went through all the controls in my car, here is what I found:

The following controls I never need to change during driving, actually I almost never need to adjust these at all, I set once while the car is parked. Most of them I just use the automatic setting, works perfectly.
Exterior lights - set to Auto
Interior lights - Auto
Display mode - Auto
Brightness - Auto
Driving mode - Chill
Steering mode - Standard
Regenerative braking - Standard
Creep - On (gray during diving anyway)
AutoSteer - On
Auto Lane Change - Off
Wiper - Auto
Window Lock - open
Child Lock - open (if I do need to lock this, I would have locked it before the trip)
Glovebox lock - no drivers need to open the glovebox while driving. Passengers might need to open it and they can easily do so on the screen.

Since I don't need to change the above settings while I am driving, complaining about the distraction is really a moot point.

The following controls I frequently use during driving:
Music volume: Tesla has the most intuitive way to control this. it's the up/down scroll wheel on the left side of the steering wheel. I don't need to go to the screen.
Turn on Autopilot: it's a lever on the steering wheel, no need to look at anything, very convenient, my eyes never need to leave the road.

The following functions I might use during driving, all of these are at the bottom of the screen, never covered by anything:
Seat heating
Heating Windshield
Heating back window
Climate control: top level button to control it, set at auto (both temp and wind)

Emergency button: it's a physical button, no difference from other cars.

In addition, I can give voice instructions to set navigation target, call someone, or play music. Tesla said going forward, all functions will be voice controlled.

After a few days, I already find it's very easy to access any function I am looking for, Tesla designed the user interface intuitively. I can't switch back to any systems that I owned in the past.

I feel CR already decided that they won't recommend the Model 3, then they look for reasons to support the decision.

Regarding the braking distance, here is my view:

I had experience with several MB and BMW cars in the past, including a M3. I will share my experience:
I tried my Model 3's braking a few times (not scientific test, just driving on highway and try to stop it when there are absolutely no other cars behind me). I feel my car's braking is adequate, very firm, better or equal to the experience I had with other cars. My tire pressure has been at 42~43, not sure if this makes a difference. A friend who owns Mercedes cars tested my car, he specifically said he really loves Model 3's acceleration, firm braking and handling. CR's test shows the braking distance varies, that's very strange, Tesla might want to do more testing in this area and try to figure out what's going on.

I don't think either side (CR and Tesla) is lying about their braking test. But Tesla as the manufacture has the opportunity to test braking on thousands of cars, braking probably is part of the final test on every new car. If they say their testing result is 133 feet, I guess there is data behind it. It's not easy for a company to lie about this without being caught.

Last edited:
Just wait until after thanksgiving and count again, after 50,000 families got test drives from their kin over the long weekend all over the united states, and realize that CR is full of crap and that this is the most awesome car ever, ten years ahead of anybody else. Lots of more orders for model 3, s and x will come in then.

Indeed, eventually more and more people will find out CR is just a magazine, people can get corrupted when a lot of money is involved. It takes some time, once a guy makes the first step in that direction, there is no return.

I predict within a year, a third party survey will discover that Model 3 is the most loved product ever by their owners. But CR is saying you are all wrong, you shouldn't buy it in the first place. Ironic.

CR calls "difficult-to-use controls" as a big flaw, that further reinforced my view that someone maybe corrupted at CR. I'm not sure ICE companies are paying them, or shorts are paying. I guess a lot of money is involved. ICE companies are fighting for survival, I would not be surprised if they try everything to slow down Tesla.

I recently got my Model 3. The experience is similar to switching from an analog phone to an iPhone. On day one, it takes sometime to find the functions, but after 3 days, it's difficult to go back to any old phones. The iPhone user interface is very intuitive and easy to use.

I went through all the controls in my car, here is what I found:

The following controls I never need to change during driving, actually I almost never need to adjust these at all, I set once while the car is parked. Most of them I just use the automatic setting, works perfectly.
Exterior lights - set to Auto
Interior lights - Auto
Display mode - Auto
Brightness - Auto
Driving mode - Chill
Steering mode - Standard
Regenerative braking - Standard
Creep - On (gray during diving anyway)
AutoSteer - On
Auto Lane Change - Off
Wiper - Auto
Window Lock - open
Child Lock - open (if I do need to lock this, I would have locked it before the trip)
Glovebox lock - no drivers need to open the glovebox while driving. Passengers might need to open it and they can easily do so on the screen.

Since I don't need to change the above settings while I am driving, complaining about the distraction is really a moot point.

The following controls I frequently use during driving:
Music volume: Tesla has the most intuitive way to control this. it's the up/down scroll wheel on the left side of the steering wheel. I don't need to go to the screen.
Turn on Autopilot: it's a lever on the steering wheel, no need to look at anything, very convenient, my eyes never need to leave the road.

The following functions I might use during driving, all of these are at the bottom of the screen, never covered by anything:
Seat heating
Heating Windchill
Heating back window
Climate control: top level button to control it, set at auto (both temp and wind)

Emergency button: it's a physical button, no difference from other cars.

In addition, I can give voice instructions to set navigation target, call someone, or play music. Tesla said going forward, all functions will be voice controlled.

After a few days, I already find it's very easy to access any function I am looking for, Tesla designed the user interface intuitively. I can't switch back to any systems that I owned in the past.

I feel CR already decided that they won't recommend the Model 3, then they look for reasons to support the decision.

Regarding the braking distance, here is my view:

I had experience with several MB and BMW cars in the past, including a M3. I will share my experience:
I tried my Model 3's braking a few times (not scientific test, just driving on highway and try to stop it when there are absolutely no other cars behind me). I feel my car's braking is adequate, very firm, better or equal to the experience I had with other cars. My tire pressure has been at 42~43, not sure if this makes a difference. A friend who owns Mercedes cars tested my car, he specifically said he really loves Model 3's acceleration, firm braking and handling. CR's test shows the braking distance varies, that's very strange, Tesla might want to do more testing in this area and try to figure out what's going on.

I don't think either side (CR and Tesla) is lying about their braking test. But Tesla as the manufacture has the opportunity to test braking on thousands of cars, braking probably is part of the final test on every new car. If they say their testing result is 133 feet, I guess there is data behind it. It's not easy for a company to lie about this without being caught.

I don’t want to discriminate against anyone’s age here, but the average print subscriber to CR Magazine is 65 years old. Perhaps CR was targeting their audience in writing this piece. I realize that many of us here might be in our 60s or even older, the fact that you’re here shows your willingness to adopt new technology, while my assumption is that many older folks tend not to be as adventurous.

Status
Not open for further replies.