Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that's part of it. But on the other hand, if you look at COGS on energy it's hard to see how D&A on that segment is more than a few tens of millions. Likewise for miscellanea. This quarter we'll have a better picture.

Tesla could be basing some D&A and other overhead expense allocation between Automotive and Energy on segment revenue.

In other words, as total D&A remains relatively flat in the coming quarters, surging revenue from the Automotive segment could indirectly improve Energy segment's gross margin.

Let me illustrate this with a simple example:

Period 1

Segment A rev: $90
Segment B rev: $10

Total D&A: $20
D&A allocation to Segment A: $20 / $100 x $90 = $18
D&A allocation to Segment B: $20 / $100 x $10 = $2

Segment A gross profit margin assuming $50 direct costs: [$90 - ($50 + $18)] / $90 = 24%
Segment B gross profit margin assuming $8 direct costs: [$10 - ($8 + $2)] / $10 = 0%

Period 2 - Double Segment A revenue while keeping Segment B revenue and D&A flat

Segment A rev: $180
Segment B rev: $10

Total D&A: $20
D&A allocation to Segment A: $20 / $190 x $180 = $19
D&A allocation to Segment B: $20 / $190 x $10 = $1

Segment A gross profit margin assuming $100 (double $50 above) direct costs: [$190 - ($100 + $19)] / $190 = 37%
Segment B gross profit margin assuming $8 direct costs: [$10 - ($8 + $1)] / $10 = 10%

-------

This example illustrates how Segment B's apparent profitability can improve only because of the increase in Segment A revenue.

Retail investors and small-time institutional investors, who do not have intermediate accounting education and related professional experience, will not understand why this happened, as both groups only look at the red ink at the bottom-line, and reason up from there on everything related to Tesla - i.e. the "Tesla is structurally unprofitable" rhetoric, which could not be further from the truth.

Last edited:
I don't have much exposure to foreign language newspapers but from what @avoigt and others have said the German press seems to be as anti-Tesla as much of the US press.

As far as the teardown analysis and implications for German carmakers, our European friends on the forum would probably have a better sense than me but perhaps the explanation is that fear sells newspapers/drives clicks (variation on "if it bleeds it leads").
French media is somewhere between neutral and positive based on Google translate.

French media is somewhere between neutral and positive based on Google translate.
Although many articles in the french press are often spin-offs of the headlines flourishing here (US) its coverage is indeed more nuanced, as they typically make efforts to balance the story and reach out to local 'experts'. Nevertheless, if these articles are your sole source of information you'd probably not invest in Tesla... SpaceX would typically get more positive coverage and its position would be favourably compared to Arianespace.
Speaking of the french press: big article today on Daimler on the verge of being accused of cheating as part of dieselgate, with up to 600.000 cars involved, including class C. Engines for these are provided by Renault but tuned by Daimler.

Edit: typos

Last edited:
Although many articles in the french press are often spin-offs of the headlines flourishing here (US) its coverage is indeed more nuanced, as they typically make efforts to balance the story and reach out to local 'experts'. Nevertheless, if these article are your sole source of information you'd probably not invest in Tesla... SpaceX would typically get more positive coverage and its position would be favourably compared to Arianespace.
Speaking of the french press: big article today on Daimler on the verge of being accused of cheating as part of dieselgate, with up to 600.000 cars involved, including class C. Motors for these are provided by Renault but tuned by Daimler.

It is true that international media is often spin-offs of U.S. headlines. Not just with respect to Tesla, but also in general.

I don't have much exposure to foreign language newspapers but from what @avoigt and others have said the German press seems to be as anti-Tesla as much of the US press.

As far as stories on the teardown analysis and implications for German carmakers, our European friends on the forum would probably have a better sense than me but perhaps the explanation is that fear sells newspapers/drives clicks (variation on "if it bleeds it leads").

I screen both the US and German/European Media almost daily.

The German Press is at least as negative as the US one and I sense sometimes a sentiment that I call Schadenfreude. I believe that word made it into the US terminology. Or should I call it wishful thinking that Tesla will not make it. We all know thats not justified.

The argumentation here is as flat as in the US w/o substance up to bending facts until it hurts. You may want to call it lies. The "fear sells clicks" is certainly correct but people here do not understand the EV business at all which makes it easy for the press to spread fud and people believe it.

With respect to the teardown analysts the press is all of the sudden neutral to positive but only around that matter. Maybe because its German Engineering that came to the conclusion. Looking forward to how the May US sales of M3 will come across. So far they disregard it.

A German Rental Car company specialized in EVs did order 2 3s in 2016. The first one has been delivered and they shipped it over the ocean and after driving a few hours on an Autobahn the driver is full of love. Only critic, he cannot adjust the watch to German time - likely because no connectivity.

After driving 2 hours up to 120 km and made 200 km the car did tell him he has another 312 km without charging left and that although AC was on ... its hot this days in Germany.

I predict that everybody driving it will be blown away as he is and people will realize its a Game Changer. Tons of new reservations will flow in.....

Video is in German.

https://www.cleanthinking.de/nextmove-elektroauto-vermietung-stellt-tesla-model-3-vor/

With respect to the teardown analysts the press is all of the sudden neutral to positive but only around that matter. Maybe because its German Engineering that came to the conclusion. Looking forward to how the May US sales of M3 will come across. So far they disregard it.

I'm sure that having fellow Germans (engineers, no less) providing such positive information was really awkward for the people tasked with writing articles about it, since they couldn't very well imply that the German engineers were mistaken ... had the same report come from Munro they could have easily hand waived it away with comments like "the Americans clearly don't know what it takes to build a quality vehicle". So their desire to portray their fellow Germans in a positive light vs their dislike of Tesla would have been a struggle to balance ... :D

A German Rental Car company specialized in EVs did order 2 3s in 2016. The first one has been delivered and they shipped it over the ocean and after driving a few hours on an Autobahn the driver is full of love. Only critic, he cannot adjust the watch to German time - likely because no connectivity.

After driving 2 hours up to 120 km and made 200 km the car did tell him he has another 312 km without charging left and that although AC was on ... its hot this days in Germany.

I predict that everybody driving it will be blown away as he is and people will realize its a Game Changer. Tons of new reservations will flow in.....

Video is in German.

https://www.cleanthinking.de/nextmove-elektroauto-vermietung-stellt-tesla-model-3-vor/

One becomes a fan when they learn about Tesla, one becomes a fanatic when they own the car.

Thanks for the update, give us more news whenever possible from Germany please.

Because it's the weekend and not everybody here ventures over to the general thread:

As I travel from Paris to Normandy by train today to fulfill a bucket list dream to pay homage to the brave men who fought and died on the beaches of Normandy and across Europe to free the world from the reign of Nazi terror, I couldn't help but draw a comparison with Tesla since the shareholder meeting falls on the anniversary of that fateful day of days.

The original roadster overcame great odds to establish a beachhead in ICE/old energy Axis-occupied territory.

The Tesla S then fought through brutal resistance in hedgerow country filled with FUD mines and 88s before breaking out and racing across France.

Now, the Model 3 is facing the last gasp counterattack of the Axis powers of ICE and old energy. This is Tesla's Battle of the Bulge and Fremont and GF1 are its Bastogne in Production Hell and surrounded by The Axis, which has thrown every FUD panzer and SS battalion it has into this last ditch effort to stop the Tesla advance. But, like Patton's Third Army, the Tesla employees and general staff are racing to to the rescue and are about to break the siege with production approaching 5000 cars per week! And of course Elon is telling the enemy "Nuts!"
The end is near for the ICE & old energy Axis no matter how hard its propaganda ministry (mainstream media and shorts) tries to paint a different picture. And may the Shorts suffer a similar Berlin bunker fate!

How does the Model X fit into this metaphor you may be asking? Think Operation Market Garden. LOL

PS. After 9 days in Paris I finally saw my first Tesla S. I was getting frustrated by the absence of any sightings since I knew the City of Lights had both a store and a supercharger station. Finally, at the last possible moment on my ride to Gare St. Lazare, I spied a beautiful black S 2.0!
Have been to Normandy, never forget.

Reactions: Thumper
Tesla Model 3 on Canada news, positive coverage :)

Swarm of electric vehicles arrive in GTA

Watch the video, 76 year old bought the car without a test drive and loved it.

My take away from that is the sheer joy and excitement on those people’s faces. Who gets that excited about a Camry? Civic? Even a BMW or Mercedes? Wait that long for a car and be as excited as a kid at Christmas. That’s Tesla. That’s what shorts don’t get.

My take away from that is the sheer joy and excitement on those people’s faces. Who gets that excited about a Camry? Civic? Even a BMW or Mercedes? Wait that long for a car and be as excited as a kid at Christmas. That’s Tesla. That’s what shorts don’t get.

Yea that was me when I got my S, he had the same Tesla grin we all had... “a kid on Christmas” is the best description of how I felt as well; and it hasn’t worn off after all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.