Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's well documented: everyone thinks they're a good driver, whether they're good or terrible. I'm an exception. I actually used to be one of the best drivers on the road, as judged by third parties... then I got PTSD treatment and I'm a much worse driver. :-( I can tell. So there's my tip: severe PTSD makes you a better driver. (Sigh.)
Are you telling us you are Jason Bourne? Is Tesla part of Operation Treadstone?

I remembered that at some point, a long time ago, Tesla had specifically said that they had their own proprietary battery chemistry manufactured by Panasonic. I tracked it down to a presentation from 2011! (by putting "site:ir.tesla.com proprietary chemistry" into Google). The powerpoint is attached below... it was so much fun to look at it. But anyway it confirms:
Actual wording:

Unique Chemistry. Proprietary Cathode Geometry

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Mark Zuckerberg comes to Elon Musk's defense on self-driving car technology

Quote form article:

“And I think he is making a point that I really agree with on this, which is that, look, over the long term, if we can get to a state where we have good self-driving cars — you know, one of the leading causes of people dying is car accidents — and if we can get to a state where we have good self-driving cars, then that is going to potentially massively reduce one of the leading causes of death and is a very important humanitarian thing that needs to done," Zuckerberg says.

Another Gene Munster note:

http://loupventures.com/category/tesla/

• Tesla has several underappreciated, unique advantages including their tech brand, battery production, charging network, autopilot data, and over-the-air updates.
  • Tesla is the only automaker that is able to perform over-the-air (OTA) updates. Every other car manufacturer requires the car to come in for service to receive an update.
  • The power of OTA updates was demonstrated this week after the Model 3 failed to receive Consumer Reports’ recommendation due to long braking distances. Tesla pushed an OTA software update that was able to recalibrate the ABS system and reduce braking distance by 13%. The Model 3 was then retested and earned CR’s recommendation.
  • Updating vehicle performance without having to service the vehicle in person shows the real power of OTA updates, which we believe will be a continued advantage for Tesla as vehicles become more reliant on software.
  • Because of the heavily entrenched relationships between automakers and dealers, few other vehicles are able to receive OTA updates. This compounds with the fact that Teslas are manufactured with more heavily-integrated software that is able to control more functions of the car.

Tesla Model 3 is now best selling car in its segment, outselling Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus by a healthy margin.
Sales in May:
Tesla M3: 6250
MB C: 5419
BMW 3: 4453
Audi 3: 2116
Lexus IS: 2180
Lexus ES: 3828

Looking forward, knowing that the production is just starting, the future chards needs to be logarithmic otherwise you will see only Tesla M3 in the upper part and all other automakers and brands jamed together at the bottom in almost one line...... no kidding.

Because it's the weekend and not everybody here ventures over to the general thread:

As I travel from Paris to Normandy by train today to fulfill a bucket list dream to pay homage to the brave men who fought and died on the beaches of Normandy and across Europe to free the world from the reign of Nazi terror, I couldn't help but draw a comparison with Tesla since the shareholder meeting falls on the anniversary of that fateful day of days.

The original roadster overcame great odds to establish a beachhead in ICE/old energy Axis-occupied territory.

The Tesla S then fought through brutal resistance in hedgerow country filled with FUD mines and 88s before breaking out and racing across France.

Now, the Model 3 is facing the last gasp counterattack of the Axis powers of ICE and old energy. This is Tesla's Battle of the Bulge and Fremont and GF1 are its Bastogne in Production Hell and surrounded by The Axis, which has thrown every FUD panzer and SS battalion it has into this last ditch effort to stop the Tesla advance. But, like Patton's Third Army, the Tesla employees and general staff are racing to to the rescue and are about to break the siege with production approaching 5000 cars per week! And of course Elon is telling the enemy "Nuts!"
The end is near for the ICE & old energy Axis no matter how hard its propaganda ministry (mainstream media and shorts) tries to paint a different picture. And may the Shorts suffer a similar Berlin bunker fate!

How does the Model X fit into this metaphor you may be asking? Think Operation Market Garden. LOL

PS. After 9 days in Paris I finally saw my first Tesla S. I was getting frustrated by the absence of any sightings since I knew the City of Lights had both a store and a supercharger station. Finally, at the last possible moment on my ride to Gare St. Lazare, I spied a beautiful black S 2.0!

Just returned from International Ctr., Mississauga (think Toronto, ON, Canada) where I dropped off my vanity plate for their registration process. M3s everywhere. One of the Staff said they were delivering to Customers 180 M3 per day at this location alone. It's happening people!

Be sure to add these numbers to InsideEVs monthly guesstimate report which is USA figures only.
Tesla starts large scale Model 3 deliveries in Canada
Good article from Electrek re: Canadian Deliveries. M3 Sales events in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are in single Conventions Ctrs. The Tesla service centres are distributing the MS and MX.

Because it's the weekend and not everybody here ventures over to the general thread:

As I travel from Paris to Normandy by train today to fulfill a bucket list dream to pay homage to the brave men who fought and died on the beaches of Normandy and across Europe to free the world from the reign of Nazi terror, I couldn't help but draw a comparison with Tesla since the shareholder meeting falls on the anniversary of that fateful day of days.

The original roadster overcame great odds to establish a beachhead in ICE/old energy Axis-occupied territory.

The Tesla S then fought through brutal resistance in hedgerow country filled with FUD mines and 88s before breaking out and racing across France.

Now, the Model 3 is facing the last gasp counterattack of the Axis powers of ICE and old energy. This is Tesla's Battle of the Bulge and Fremont and GF1 are its Bastogne in Production Hell and surrounded by The Axis, which has thrown every FUD panzer and SS battalion it has into this last ditch effort to stop the Tesla advance. But, like Patton's Third Army, the Tesla employees and general staff are racing to to the rescue and are about to break the siege with production approaching 5000 cars per week! And of course Elon is telling the enemy "Nuts!"
The end is near for the ICE & old energy Axis no matter how hard its propaganda ministry (mainstream media and shorts) tries to paint a different picture. And may the Shorts suffer a similar Berlin bunker fate!

How does the Model X fit into this metaphor you may be asking? Think Operation Market Garden. LOL

PS. After 9 days in Paris I finally saw my first Tesla S. I was getting frustrated by the absence of any sightings since I knew the City of Lights had both a store and a supercharger station. Finally, at the last possible moment on my ride to Gare St. Lazare, I spied a beautiful black S 2.0!
Calibear1, all the best to you for fulfilling you bucket list. IMHO your comparison is a bit of a stretch.

Is No News Good News for Tesla?
Odd title, this Zacks article is on the recent German M3 teardown ($28k costs) and how it shows a path to profitability. Comments are good.

Thanks for posting. Also, a revised and more polished English language version of the original article (actually more of a follow-up article) is here:

German fears after covert look under hood of Tesla.

The emphasis of this version is on how concerned the German car manufacturers are about Tesla and it certainly has a very different tone about Tesla than typical U.S. articles.

Might come in handy in case anyone wants to send it to their friendly local (or national) reporter and suggest they run a story.;)

Edit: The San Jose Mercury News ran an article on this yesterday: Tesla's Model 3 might cost how much to build?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Also, a revised and more polished English language version of the original article (actually more of a follow-up article) is here:

German fears after covert look under hood of Tesla.

The emphasis of this version is on how concerned the German car manufacturers are about Tesla and it certainly has a very different tone about Tesla than typical U.S. articles.

Might come in handy in case anyone wants to send it to their friendly local (or national) reporter and suggest they run a story.;)

Edit: The San Jose Mercury News ran an article on this yesterday: Tesla's Model 3 might cost how much to build?

I noticed a difference in tone between US-based media vs. International, whether Europe or China. I don't know what's driving this divergence.

Enjoy your trip! I was there two years ago as it was a bucket list item for me as well. It didn’t disappoint. If you can make sure you make it to Pointe du Hoc!

Reactions: CaliBear1
Depreciation on Powerpack/Powerwall and Solar Roof are probably pretty high. Solar Roof has at least some equipment writeoffs.
There's also depreciation on other miscellanea, I suspect.

I agree that's part of it. But on the other hand, if you look at COGS on energy it's hard to see how D&A on that segment is more than a few tens of millions. Likewise for miscellanea. This quarter we'll have a better picture.

I noticed a difference in tone between US-based media vs. International, whether Europe or China. I don't know what's driving this divergence.

I don't have much exposure to foreign language newspapers but from what @avoigt and others have said the German press seems to be as anti-Tesla as much of the US press.

As far as stories on the teardown analysis and implications for German carmakers, our European friends on the forum would probably have a better sense than me but perhaps the explanation is that fear sells newspapers/drives clicks (variation on "if it bleeds it leads").

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: YasB and neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.