Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s another chart, also thanks to 28_delays_later

upload_2018-7-23_14-17-25.jpeg

Interesting. Tbh I’ve only been at the ‘procured’ end of this negotiation. Being asked/forced to reduce your price with x% next quarter, accept extended payment terms etc. All normal. Asked to provide a rebate on work delivered and paid for 2 years ago, not so much. Is that really common?

In the Auto procurement world everything is allowed if you are strong and large. We have seen many examples from the past where VW has crushed margin from suppliers and driven them into chapter 11.

That Tesla is able to put that demand on the table today is a strong signal of strength and confidence not weakness. If you have the power you press money from your suppliers as you do with quality and volume of parts. If you don't then don't start a business in the auto industry.

Without a steady high production rate they would not have been able to ask suppliers to renegotiate. This is a confirmation of a further ongoing ramp.

Lets be all happy that Tesla is doing that move.

Its a meaningless attempt that WSJ, FAZ, Handelsblatt and many others call Tesla "desperately trying to cover operation costs with money from suppliers". Before they claimed its a $2500 extra payment from reservation holders that keeps Tesla alive now its the suppliers.

So GM pays face value the asking price year after year to suppliers whose cost decreases each year? Now I know why nvestors do t want to touch GM stocks, and why Apple has to cancel the iPhone X.

All jokes aside it’s quite prudent that Tesla is negotiating with suppliers now, a very good time for them to consider lowering their charges even more. A good move, this is great news and a win for the company.

You do recognize I was drawing a comparison to GM who no doubt do continuously negotiate better pricing with suppliers, right?

My point was that doing so isn't necessarily story-worthy, as it happens all the time.

(On edit: Upon re-read, I think your first paragraph may be tongue-in-cheek... if so, cool.)

Reactions: neroden and wipster
HFT front-running is *documented*. If you weren't one of the front-runners, that's great, but the front-running shops have been a huge part of the market, and if you don't know about it, you should.
The type of front running you refer to here is a bit misunderstood. Market makers can see order flow and adjust to be the price that things get matched with.

Actually submitting fake orders or other strategies to drive the price on a direction carries enormous fined . You aren't even allowed to have a market maker certification if you don't have a compliance team watching and analyzing to prevent that.

This guy thinks HFT reduces the spread but doesn't influence the underlying price retail investors have access to. What a joke.

Just make a 0.01% transaction fee into the law and watch HFT ers crawl back into the sewers.
Actually you would just watch spreads widen.

We deal with different fee structures every day and HFT fees are an enormous expense that that all deal with

It’s almost criminal how this story is growing legs. This is all standard procurement negotiation- there’s nothing special to see here. I used to manage about 4B in procurement costs for a large private company- this is a question of efficiency and not survival.

Fud doesn't care about truth only perception. You can spin everything negative if you try hard enough. If Tesla has huge profits in Q4, they will say it's because all the demand was pulled forward to make a profit, now they are really in trouble. No demand no credits.

A positive negotiation of prices and payments for missed timelines, probably part of the original supply contract but never enforced, is spun as a desperate ploy to stave off bankwuptcy.

I will repeat again.. Tesla's cash position will never be worse than it was 4 weeks ago when it was stockpiling cars for 200k and ramping production. We are now in Q3 and delivering all those cars with payments on parts not due until next month. If Tesla was going bankwupt, it would have been 4 weeks ago.

After $$$ of profit, the narrative will turn into "Tesla is ripping of customers"

Indeed: Short Times - High Tesla Margins on Model 3 Deemed as Criminal :-D

In case anyone's feeling a bit weak-kneed, don't forget that we touched $244 at the beginning of April - the stock then rode back up 100 points quite quickly and today we're in a much better place than we were then.

Hold on longs!

Day-traders - go for it!

Is it standard to ask money back from _old_ payments?

It is if the supplier totally failed to meet goals/ targets/ performance. Say for instance they were supported to make a module assembly line for GF1...
For normal supply chain, no. Which is why I'm am doubtful about the implied story line.

Edit, maybe it is then too, never heard of it where I worked. Just lower prices going forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.