Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was talking a true squeeze as in running-out-of-shares, not just a short-covering rally.

If all of us who lent shares out asked for our shares back yesterday, they would be likely to not be all returned until Friday.

Even for a short-covering rally it can take some time. I read somewhere that margin calls go out (a) after market close, and (b) at noon, and *usually* the broker gives the short-sellers some time to wire in more money.
i asked for mine back, albeit peanuts in the big picture. but i did so in case i needed them in my possession on record date (segged by my broker as fully paid in electronic custody account) in the event that the record date holders vote counts for something more than just yes or no (meaning you need r/d position to be eligible for something, private shares rather than cash, who knows).

bottom line, i know if simple yes or no, my shares mean nothing. but if having them in my possession entitled me to something other than ya/nay, i want to be in control of that.

Reactions: neroden and EinSV
Yes, caught very much off guard with this.

I have to admit Elon caught me off guard both times. The Q2 results/ SP take off (I though I had time till Q3 to buy in) and today. I was considering expanding my position after selling more index funds and now this. Takes until next day for funds proceeds to settle. Watching action and biting my elbows... Lets see if I can catch the last carriage of the train tomorrow.

This market action is even more confusing than regular Tesla market action. Unless EM is crazy (he isn't) or a fool (he isn't) then the floor is $420. How anyone believes it is less is really, really confusing to me.
There's a very, very narrow window in which Elon can be non-crazy, non-foolish, yet the floor not be $420.

Basically, the narrative would go something like this:
  1. The shorts successfully keep TSLA under $420 the usual way, even in the face of people buying. (Difficult, but FUD is strong.)
  2. Somehow, the shorts hang on and keep the price below $420 through people recalling their shares in preparation for a vote. (This is where I think the narrative falls over.)
  3. The vote is no. (As has been discussed extensively in this and other threads, there's reasons why this could actually happen!)
All three of those things have to happen for the shorts to not get burned. If the first doesn't happen, they get burned by margin calls. If the second doesn't happen, they get burned by recalls. If the third doesn't happen, they get burned by recalls even harder.

So basically the conversion rate is proportional to the change in market cap (+ cashout). So if this is considered a tender offer, then if the stock is trading below the tender offer price immediately before the stock is purchased away, the convertible holders will get more stock to reflect the arbitrage gap.

yeah, i don’t see how it won’t be some type of voluntary exchange offer, right? this would be the only way to separate eligible from ineligible entities (to hold private shares).

unless we’re underestimating the amount of time/work go into vetting holders taking the private share choice.

they may be forced to spin off a non-tradable holding company and then cash out non-eligible and let the eligible choose cash/private stock.
this could take months. usually mergers do...and this isn’t a merger (yet) but this seems trickier than a normal exchange offer

i have a feeling they’ll be forced to allow only accredited investors and QIBS

this would identify quickly those who are getting cashed out from those who can choose private shares. and then the exchange offer route would be efficient

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Yes, caught very much off guard with this.
Well, it turned out for the best anyway.
Loaded up @374 8am in pre-market vs 380+ yesterday.
But the Q2 call was a disappointment :p
I bought with half available money @292 and was getting ready to buy cheaper after the call, but once I read the letter I realized I'm screwed :p
and had to buy @315 on the rising curve.
I now have close to 50% of retirement money in TSLA after today. Still wondering if broker will force me to sell(they had no info yesterday) or I can convert to private.

Anyone else find it ironic that shorts and media are saying Musk can't get/couldn't have gotten/doesn't have funding to do this, when previously they claimed that the only thing he was good at was raising money.
He is good at raising money. But persuading people to lose $70 billion is a different league from persuading people to lose $9 billion.

Status
Not open for further replies.