Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, all. I’ve been up since 0320, so if you think there’s a bear growling, it’s just me.....

First off, Mod Hat ON:

The following is a repeat of a portion of yesterday’s post. I suspect I’ll re-post this at irregular intervals.

There is as of end-of-day Tuesday a lot of uncertainty wrt many, many aspects. PLEASE READ EVERYTHING in this forum and in other venues with the utmost care. There is much, much misinformation; mal-presented information; guesswork put forth as hard fact....and possibly, as has happened once or twice in the past????....F.U.&D.

/Moderator

I couldn’t get through at market open, but -

I do not make a habit of buying on strength. From our initial position in TSLA between $35 & $53, I amassed another 30% or so with that ‘gift’ of $16.99 SCTY, giving us TSLA at $155; and then this spring at $249 a further 17%.

However, I determined to make an exception today; we added a further 14% at $375. This strains our liquidity; I have some non-liquid investments needing to be effected in the fairly short term and so had amassed a fair amount of cash for same....it now is tied up which puts me in a position I didn’t want to face. The extraordinary nature of the current situation presented, however, an opportunity I find magnificent.

Good luck to all...longs

Well, I was talking a true squeeze as in running-out-of-shares, not just a short-covering rally.

If all of us who lent shares out asked for our shares back yesterday, they would be likely to not be all returned until Friday.

Even for a short-covering rally it can take some time. I read somewhere that margin calls go out (a) after market close, and (b) at noon, and *usually* the broker gives the short-sellers some time to wire in more money.

Gotcha, the end-of-the-line no-one-home, tumbleweeds, where'd-everybody-go, pond-done-dried-up point in the curve...

Reactions: neroden
That is half right. He did not say he will retain control.

Apologies, indeed, it's doesn't quite state what I said:

upload_2018-8-8_16-16-34.png

Dealbook: Two Huge Questions Hang Over Elon Musk’s $70 Billion Deal for Tesla
2018-08-08 13:57:57.862 GMT

By Peter Eavis

Elon Musk is plotting the biggest ever attempt to take a company private, but
it’s unclear how he’ll pay for it — or if it’s really worth it.

Mr. Musk, Tesla’s chief executive, shocked investors on Tuesday by tweeting
that he was considering taking the company private at a stock price of $420.
If he does, it would cost more than $70 billion. The company’s board of
directors met several times last week to discuss the idea, and six of its
members issued a statement saying that it is “taking the appropriate next
steps to evaluate” it.

Typically, those taking a company of Tesla’s size private would borrow tens of
billions of dollars to buy the shares held by public stockholders. But Mr.
Musk provided scant details about his plan. In his first tweet on the
transaction, he simply wrote: “Funding secured.” He did not say how much money
would be needed or from where it was going to come. When asked for more
information on the financing, Tesla declined to comment.

Investors were not too bothered by this lack of clarity: Tesla’s shares jumped
11 percent. They should be.

Tesla may find it difficult to line up banks and investors to lend it large
sums. Typically, companies taken private have somewhat steady cash flows.
Tesla does not. In the second quarter, it recorded another huge loss and
burned through hundreds of millions of dollars in cash.

Companies that are taken private usually have low valuations and are unloved
by investors. Tesla does not fit that description, either, which could prove
partly useful.

In theory, Mr. Musk could pull off the transaction without taking on massive
amounts of debt. He could persuade as many current investors as possible to
exchange their public shares for new ones in the private company. The more
that agree, the less debt needed.

Mr. Musk is Tesla’s biggest shareholder, holding 20 percent of its stock. The
next four largest hold nearly 30 percent combined. He might not get all of
those to buy into his plan. (One, Fidelity, also has a stake in SpaceX, a
private company led by Mr. Musk.)

He could also turn to his individual investors, who own nearly 13 percent of
Tesla’s shares. Many of those are incredibly bullish about the company.

To increase the chances of success with all of his investors, Mr. Musk has to
convince them that their shares in a private Tesla will one day be worth more
than the $420 that the transaction offers them.

Doing so will require convincing them that Tesla will perform better out of
the spotlight. Shareholders would also have to be willing to potentially get
less information about the company’s performance and have less opportunity to
sell their shares if it is no longer publicly traded.

Would Tesla perform better as a private company? Mr. Musk thinks so, on
Tuesday writing:

Some companies have indeed done better after going private (though there are
plenty of examples of those that have gone on to flounder). And Mr. Musk is
correct that Tesla has attracted a large number of short sellers — investors
who profit by betting on a stock’s decline. (He has waged a very public fight
against them.)

Arguably, though, the public markets have been very good to Tesla. The company
has successfully tapped them for capital, and, even when it has racked up
losses and consumed cash, its market value has marched higher and higher. Its
stock market value currently exceeds that of General Motors.

Investors are, in effect, giving Tesla much the same leeway as it would get if
it were private. Big institutional shareholders have remained patient as the
company strives to achieve long-term objectives, and have stood by the company
even when Mr. Musk’s behavior was unorthodox. They have even tolerated a board
that has been criticized for its oversight.

What is more, many of the problems at Tesla are of the company’s own doing.
Mr. Musk, for instance, last month described how problems with robots
contributed to production problems. When asked how these difficulties had
occurred, he told Bloomberg: “Because we were huge idiots and didn’t know what
we were doing.”

Investors must now weigh whether giving even more freedom to Mr. Musk, and the
extra debt the deal may incur, is worth it. It very well may not be.

Maybe, but if we look at their statement:

"This included discussion as to how being private could better serve Tesla’s long-term interests, and also addressed the funding for this to occur."​

There's several ways to read this statement I believe - one is your interpretation, but the other potential one is that "addressed" is distinct from "included discussions as to how".

They could have written:

"This included discussion as to how being private could better serve Tesla’s long-term interests, and also how the funding for this could occur."
That would indeed be a 100% meaningless statement regarding funding.

But they didn't write that, they used the "addressed the funding for this to occur", where "addressed" could be the second meaning as per the Cambridge Dictionary:

to give attention to or deal with a matter or problem:
The issue of funding has yet to be addressed.
"give attention to" is meaningless, but "deal with a matter" is to solve a matter or problem: it is common to refer to problems that were "dealt with" as "have been addressed". Also note the specific example the Cambridge Dictionary decided to list.

Anyway, I'd argue that this sentence is ambiguous - unless I'm seriously mis-parsing it.

This is how I interpreted it as I read it:

The board has a say. So, if Elon communicates this with the board, automatically, the board has a say. The legal and polite way to say it is one of the following:
  1. Explore (desperate)
  2. Ask (weak)
  3. Addressed (the strongest possible way to do it while recognizing that the board legally has a say)
  4. Told (not legal (or more to the point, not true))
That's exactly how I read it when I first read it.

Try these out: "I addressed the employee that I fired them." "I told the employee that I fired them." Now try these three: "I asked the crowd." "I addressed the crowd." "I told the crowd."

Maybe, but if we look at their statement:

"This included discussion as to how being private could better serve Tesla’s long-term interests, and also addressed the funding for this to occur."​
Anyway, I'd argue that this sentence is ambiguous - unless I'm seriously mis-parsing it.
Correct. It is ambiguous, and was intended to be ambiguous. Lawyers wrote the statement for the Board Members' signatures, and they use words carefully.

People can read into it what they will, but the board members did not actually say ANYTHING substantive about funding. Deliberately.

Tesla may find it difficult to line up banks and investors to lend it large
sums.
or not...

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk 19h19 hours ago

Elon Musk Retweeted Tesla

Investor support is confirmed. Only reason why this is not certain is that it’s contingent on a shareholder vote.
Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured.

With conversion to private, those investors that want to stay in already have their position/stock paid for, and not at $420.

I agree, it's ambiguous.

Which is crazy. We have laws saying that public companies should not be ambiguous when making material statements.

This is absolutely a material proposal. Can we just get some clear communication?

Start with this: what entity specifically is offering 420/share for TSLA?
You need to get over the fact that they just don't have to tell you until they want to.

A lot of retail investors are waking up and realizing the price difference between 380 and 420 isn’t worth the risk to hold on. If you need the investment money, selling now is prudent. Myself, I more than doubled my long position at this price point yesterday. I’ll take every freebie Elon throws my way (last one was the SCTY arb). When the deal is finalized, I may very well sell that large stake I bought yesterday at 420, just keeping my regular long position in private Tesla.

If the deal falls apart (very unlikely IMHO), I’ll be stuck holding a bunch of TSLA stock for quite a while I suspect.

Any possibility Apple is one of the many funding this deal?

Apple is certainly one of many possible candidates. Remember the constant stream of "Apple should buy Tesla!" articles from analysts over the course of this year? They're flush with cash and seem not to know what to do with it.

The Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund is another one. They're worth trillions and looking for good hedges against oil.

I'd also add the Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund. Huge fund, they only do environmentally friendly / morally responsible investment, and the country is big on EVs in general and Teslas in particular.

China these days seems to be throwing cash at anything that moves, particularly if it has a plug.

Should we bother to bring up that Musk is good friends with Larry Page?

There's tons of possibilities.

It's important to remember that $420 is only 20% more than $350. They're not offering that huge of a premium for investment in a private Tesla over a public one. And for that, they get to kick out all of the shorts that are driving down the price at present.

I can’t believe any long would ask this question.

Answer: Because it’s not about the money for him. Never has been, never will be.

I’m starting to note, though, who is about the money. And I’m reminded of past posts I’ve made about how money changes otherwise good people into shadows of themselves. Sad.

Elon will do everything in his power to support the longs. He’s said it, he’ll do it.
Well, what I worry about is the limits of his power.

Everyone relax. Answers will be forthcoming. Be happy for Elon/Tesla/employees who hopefully will no longer have to put up with the additional stress via smear campaigns, lies etc... that they have had to endure for YEARS.
I do hope this gets rid of some of the smear campaigns, but it won't get rid of all of them. The Russian government trolls will happily continue smearing renewable energy, it's never been about the stock market for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.