Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA is back to the 100-110 under the mentioned price

For comparison SodaStream is about $1.70 under the purchase price which is probably fairly typical.

Looking back at SolarCity even a month after the announcement of the merger I think it was 30% or more under the conversion price.
I can clearly remember it blowing out to 20% below the theoretical conversion price, though I wasn't watching it day-to-day, so you're probably right. The important thing though, is that this was after the buyer (ie Tesla) made a public offer and all that was left was a shareholder vote. We haven't seen a public offer here yet, so I don't think the discount to $420 is anything other than the market's perennial scepticism about anything Tesla positive.

Interesting interview with VW CEO Diess:

About Battery cell production in Asia supplying VW:

"I find it frightening that we moved into this dependency (with Asia)" Until 2025 he expects a total revenue of €60bn with car batteries.

"an even larger challenge is to connect the car with the internet"

"SW in a car plays the deciding role" If we are honest Google and Amazon do this much better.

"We have to manage the digital revolution if we want to survive"

He continued that the cars will be fully integrated in the net and over the air updates happen without a visit of a dealer or shop.

"We need an extremely fast increase in competence"

With the electro power train the possibilities to differentiate are limited..... An opportunity to differentiate is mainly the intelligence of the car.

He favors investments in suppliers.

Diess: Bei Batteriezellen «erschreckend abhängig» von Asien - WELT

Sounds to me like he did get some of the essentials VW missed in the last 20 years finally. Although not all. The question is now if this is truly his believe and if so if he is able to transform the top and middle managed to follow his direction.

Understanding the mess VW is in is one thing but convincing the entire company to shift gears a very different endeavor.

Last edited:
Interesting interview with VW CEO Diess:

About Battery cell production in Asia supplying VW:

"I find it frightening that we moved into this dependency (with Asia)" Until 2025 he expects a total revenue of €60bn with car batteries.

"an even larger challenge is to connect the car with the internet"

"SW in a car plays the deciding role" If we are honest Google and Amazon do this much better.

"We have to manage the digital revolution if we want to survive"

He continued that the cars will be fully integrated in the net and over the air updates happen without a visit of a dealer or shop.

"We need an extremely fast increase in competence"

With the electro power train the possibilities to differentiate are limited..... An opportunity to differentiate is mainly the intelligence of the car.

He favors investments in suppliers.

Diess: Bei Batteriezellen «erschreckend abhängig» von Asien - WELT

Sounds to me like he did get some of the essentials VW missed in the last 20 years finally. Although not all. The question is now if this is truly his believe and if so if he is able to transform the top and middle managed to follow his direction.

Understanding the mess VW is in is one thing but convincing the entire company to shift gears a very different endeavor.
I think there are structural "culture" issues:
Germany’s car industry can’t build its own battery cells

Status
Not open for further replies.