Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love your optimism. I can only hope.

I'm trying to be logical - you need to read Elon's tweets from yesterday, where he basically asks the twitter-troll if he did any investigation himself - "seeking truth" he referred to. And again, if he knows he has pending litigation, why would he make it potentially much worse - he's not that stupid, and the tweeting was in the middle of the morning, so unlikely he was on crack, or whatever.

Didn't Elon say in one of those recent tweets something like "If he's innocent why isn't he sueing me? He was offered free legal services"

Perhaps someone with deep pockets took notice and made the guy an offer he couldn't refuse to file the case even if he originally didn't feel it was worth it?

No, the litigation is dates 6th August, the tweet you're referring to was yesterday

Because Elon knows the truth and the lawsuit is a bluff.

If he knows the guy really is a pedophile and not just someone who fits the stereotype, he's had more than enough time by now to have shared what he knows with authorities, investigative reporters or even his own gumshoes and to be in a position to back up his allegation (because now it's no longer just a heat-of-the-moment putdown) with evidence or evidence of due process. Instead, he's yelling at his interlocutor on Twitter - a tech journalist (@yoda) - for not investigating his (Musk's) claim. This is the first time I've had to accept that Musk has a streak of Trump in him.

If he knows the guy really is a pedophile and not just someone who fits the stereotype, he's had more than enough time by now to have shared what he knows with authorities, investigative reporters or even his own gumshoes and to be in a position to back up his allegation (because now it's no longer just a heat-of-the-moment putdown) with evidence or evidence of due process. Instead, he's yelling at his interlocutor on Twitter - a tech journalist (@yoda) - for not investigating his (Musk's) claim. This is the first time I've had to accept that Musk has a streak of Trump in him.

I totally agree with you (except for the Trump bit), but struggle to see why Elon would go down that avenue knowing he has a lawsuit pending. It doesn't make sense.

Like I said, trying to apply logic to the situation. Elon's a logical guy too, normally very much so, and surely he'd have taken some legal advice already on this lawsuit?

Doesn't add-up as a knee-jerk reaction to me - and neither has he deleted the tweets, which you would normally do if you regret them afterwards. Or even apologise of you've lost your temper - hell I even apologised to a big hairy bear on twitter last week because I considered myself a bit overly rude to him the day before.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out.

Hey, SP, $305, it's popping' :p

I
I totally agree with you (except for the Trump bit), but struggle to see why Elon would go down that avenue knowing he has a lawsuit pending. It doesn't make sense.

Like I said, trying to apply logic to the situation. Elon's a logical guy too, normally very much so, and surely he'd have taken some legal advice already on this lawsuit?

Doesn't add-up as a knee-jerk reaction to me - and neither has he deleted the tweets, which you would normally do if you regret them afterwards. Or even apologise of you've lost your temper - hell I even apologised to a big hairy bear on twitter last week because I considered myself a bit overly rude to him the day before.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out.

Hey, SP, $305, it's popping' :p

It's possible that he hasn't check his mail for some time.

Any of you considering Tesla 2025 bonds?

They hit another all-time low at the open today.

William Green @ Atlas Research on Twitter

These bonds are unregistered. Even accredited investors can’t buy these. Only institutions. We are coming up on the lockup expiration period, so I suspect the price will jump after that when ordinary investors can buy them.

The reason why I believe elon's tweets and the unsworth scenario is linked to stock price is because a settlement affects elon's personal wealth.

Elon's personal wealth matters because of how much tsla stocks he pledged to get a loan.

Sorry to say, but this is a potential vector to bring down tsla.

Unsworth reputation worth isn't a rounding error of Elon's wealth.

Show me a similar case where the payouts were in the billions of dollars.

That guy is not a Tesla bear....that is an insult to Tesla Bear's.

He is a idiot who has lost his shirt shorting Tesla.

Maybe - but he's actually right about one thing, which is that more EVs are coming to market.

Also, on the whole Musk's tweet thing, the best comment I saw this week on the financial news was, if he'd kept his mouth shut, he may have actually pulled off taking Tesla private.

Agreed. I wish he'd STFU because I'm finding it hard enough to placate my significant other about a $76k purchase without him making a muppet of himself and being all over the media she reads...

Elon - shut it, and make Tesla the greatest company in the world.

Last edited:
I believe the market has a major misunderstanding about who is leading autonomous driving. There is an article talking about why Waymo doesn't work. I basically agree with the author.

On the other hand, I totally agree with Tesla's approach. It's difficult, but seems to me in the end it will work in a big way.

We had a robotics expert explore Tesla AP vs Waymo for us:

Tesla Has Strong Advantages In Race To Self-Driving Cars

OTOH, Head of Intelligent Mobility at BNEF told me he really didn't know:

Autonomous Driving Forecasts & Challenges — Interviewing BNEF's Head of Intelligent Mobility (#CleanTechnica Video) | CleanTechnica

I assume both approaches will find good market adoption, but I buy into the arguments in article #1.

(If someone can clip this over to the appropriate thread, please do so. Don't want to irritate people, but had to respond.)

I'm sharing a concern regarding the public's perception of Waymo's announced L4 autonomy and how important Tesla V9 FSD could be to the stock price very soon. How is Tesla getting ahead of this? It's not quite FUD and Waymo isn't lying. It's more like what they don't say - smoke and mirrors that people are buying from what I read on open forums. The general public seems to think Waymo is way ahead. Question is, how can we intercept and clarify this misconception? What data is there in Az to promote the full story? California has a lot (examples at bottom), but I can't find any here in Chandler or from ADOT.

Here's an example article on Waymo (an old article too, I've posted some on other threads). Pay close attention to their wording. One might think they are at L4 autonomy, but it's what they leave off is key IMO. Alphabet's Waymo Is Already Running Level 4 Self-Driving Cars in Arizona

1st line... "Waymo announced Tuesday that it has been running Level 4 autonomous cars, with no human behind the wheel, in Arizona since mid-October."

and...​

"Now, in an area of the Phoenix metro region, a subset of our fleet will operate in fully autonomous mode, with Waymo as the sole driver."
(Who is Waymo? What % of time?)

From this article, you'd think L4 was a done deal. IMO, if they had remote backup drivers on call, they'd still be L4 at times, until an assist was needed. Further, we won't be hearing about the stories of when it didn't go so well because all passengers where and will be under NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement with Alphabet).

It's not until the end of the article that some clarification emerges. But you sure don't get that sense from the headline and first para.

"Though they will operate with no one behind the wheel, a Waymo employee will still be in the car until confidence in the car's highly autonomous operation increases with experience." (I believe instead they did a pilot earlier this year with the employee remotely controlling the Waymo vehicle according to TheVerge.com)​

This sounds no different than what Tesla has... "For now." We don't know which seat they mean by "in the car" and what controls that operator may have (if not an E-Stop). But you can see how they lead the witness (public). Anyone else see this Waymo marketing genius strategy?

In California, I can find all sorts of data surrounding Autonomous vehicles, but is there any equivalent in Az? If not, why not?

This is from Waymos 2017 Disengagement report: "Our test drivers routinely transition into and out of autonomous mode many times throughout the day" from this website: Testing of Autonomous Vehicles

Where's Arizona's data tracked or reported? Anyone?

Well, this didn't even last a day... :(

Gentlemen - I want everyone of you to be in your best behavior.

I had to move a few posts to snippiness and we could all avoid name calling.

As you may have found out by now, I am the new mod for this section.

;)

~from the office of LORD VETINARI

A new poster created quite a splash in today’s comments. Most responses to them were negative; some long-term and valued members responded by allowing they learned from them.

Regardless:
1. This was a NEW poster.
2. Every single one of his posts not only had absolutely nothing to do with the action of the stock market and how it affects Tesla; rather, they could arguably have fit either well or extremely well in other, very conspicuous, TMC forum sites.

This poster, and anyone else who so blatantly sticks twigs in hornets’ nests, will be treated the same as has happened to this poster: You will not be hearing from him for some time. What he posts OUTSIDE of the Investors’ Forums is quite a different matter. All others may learn from this: it is very, very good for you to depart from this sector for a while and learn what is discussed on other TMC sites. It is not that you might learn from this; rather, you will.

~Vetinari

ANYONE who believes he or she has especial knowledge as to why discussions of KNOWN FORBIDDEN topics - paedophilia amongst them - deserve to be given the light of day in this forum -

is invited to a private discussion with Lord Vetinari.

~V

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Wooloomooloo:
Maybe - but he's actually right about one thing, which is that more EVs are coming to market.

Of course they are.
Tesla increasing production from 3k to 6k per week means some 150k additional Model 3s on the road in a single year. Not just 150k but 300k new Model 3 in a single year.
Don't event think about 9k peer year, that is 450.000 Model 3 in a single year.

And there are also all the others that will build and sell maybe another 50k pieces all together.
Yes, of course they are a coming, Tesla beware!

Ridiculous is simply ridiculous, or they just do not dig math ...

Sadly this stock does move on Elon's tweets and no, it's really not smarter than that! The stock rose not because of great Q2 earnings but because the lord and savior Musk apologized and acted normal. The more erratic he seems, it does affect the stock, because Musk is probably about 50 percent of the reason for a $300 stock price.

Don't think others are smarter than you, they're usually not.

Don't believe a stock does move because of a Tweet only. That usually is not the cause!

My view is that if people buy or sell a stock because of a Twitter message of the CEO than they have an investment strategy that is very different to mine and that I would call it (no offense) short sighted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerardf and madodel
Sadly this stock does move on Elon's tweets and no, it's really not smarter than that! The stock rose not because of great Q2 earnings but because the lord and savior Musk apologized and acted normal. The more erratic he seems, it does affect the stock, because Musk is probably about 50 percent of the reason for a $300 stock price.

Don't think others are smarter than you, they're usually not.

My question is: How much of the TSLA market is simply trading Tesla based on this kind of thing? How much is the price moving on this stuff because people think it will move on this stuff, not because it matters in the long term?

I assume some of the stock wizards here have some answers?

I dropped the idea of trading TSLA years ago. In for the long haul, but do find it interesting to watch the day-to-day trends and try to understand them.

Other explanations/guesses for the drop today? Shorts pushing it down? Poor analyst forecasts? Skepticism about Model 3 ramp?

Coming to the Market action thread and saying "disregard the share price" doesn't make sense to me. I would assume the people on this thread are here to fret about the share price. Maybe you're right and we should all go about our lives and ignore the price today and we'd all be happier for it.

I happen to agree that Elon's tweets are linked to the share price and that he dropped the price single handedly. The thing that frustrates me the most is that Elon uses a single twitter account to mix company business and private business.

If you are interested in the daily stock moves I recommend to follow Option Sniper on Twitter who seems to be a Wizard in that respect.

Assuming that because of a Tweet a stock moves in a certain direction is a risky bet. Too often we have seen Tesla SP done the opposite.

Agree that private and business Tweets are mixed but Elon is who he is and its better to accept him like that as he won't change and I am actually quite happy about that.

I'm sharing a concern regarding the public's perception of Waymo's announced L4 autonomy and how important Tesla V9 FSD could be to the stock price very soon. How is Tesla getting ahead of this? It's not quite FUD and Waymo isn't lying. It's more like what they don't say - smoke and mirrors that people are buying from what I read on open forums. The general public seems to think Waymo is way ahead. Question is, how can we intercept and clarify this misconception? What data is there in Az to promote the full story? California has a lot (examples at bottom), but I can't find any here in Chandler or from ADOT.

Here's an example article on Waymo (an old article too, I've posted some on other threads). Pay close attention to their wording. One might think they are at L4 autonomy, but it's what they leave off is key IMO. Alphabet's Waymo Is Already Running Level 4 Self-Driving Cars in Arizona

1st line... "Waymo announced Tuesday that it has been running Level 4 autonomous cars, with no human behind the wheel, in Arizona since mid-October."

and...​

"Now, in an area of the Phoenix metro region, a subset of our fleet will operate in fully autonomous mode, with Waymo as the sole driver."
(Who is Waymo? What % of time?)

From this article, you'd think L4 was a done deal. IMO, if they had remote backup drivers on call, they'd still be L4 at times, until an assist was needed. Further, we won't be hearing about the stories of when it didn't go so well because all passengers where and will be under NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement with Alphabet).

It's not until the end of the article that some clarification emerges. But you sure don't get that sense from the headline and first para.

"Though they will operate with no one behind the wheel, a Waymo employee will still be in the car until confidence in the car's highly autonomous operation increases with experience." (I believe instead they did a pilot earlier this year with the employee remotely controlling the Waymo vehicle according to TheVerge.com)​

This sounds no different than what Tesla has... "For now." We don't know which seat they mean by "in the car" and what controls that operator may have (if not an E-Stop). But you can see how they lead the witness (public). Anyone else see this Waymo marketing genius strategy?

In California, I can find all sorts of data surrounding Autonomous vehicles, but is there any equivalent in Az? If not, why not?

This is from Waymos 2017 Disengagement report: "Our test drivers routinely transition into and out of autonomous mode many times throughout the day" from this website: Testing of Autonomous Vehicles

Where's Arizona's data tracked or reported? Anyone?
I believe that once the government oks L4 service Waymo will be overwhelmed by Tesla owners cashing in to make the big payoff. Some owners will buy cars just to Uber out. Waymo will loose because a Waymo car costs over $100,000 and a Tesla car only $35,000.

Wooloomooloo:

Of course they are.
Tesla increasing production from 3k to 6k per week means some 150k additional Model 3s on the road in a single year. Not just 150k but 300k new Model 3 in a single year.
Don't event think about 9k peer year, that is 450.000 Model 3 in a single year.

And there are also all the others that will build and sell maybe another 50k pieces all together.
Yes, of course they are a coming, Tesla beware!

Ridiculous is simply ridiculous, or they just do not dig math ...
Thanks ..I was going to reply but you put it better than me.

The flaw in this old worn out argument is the assumption that additional EV's on the market will take share from EV's rather than ICE vehicles. The ICE market is shrinking the EV market is expanding. If there were 15 new EV's coming to market next year it would be grabbing market share from the ICE market not Tesla.

Fire Away!

Status
Not open for further replies.