Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is funny, but Elon actually ran the best anti weed campaign maybe ever.

Watch the interview.

He basically said what’s the big deal, then proceeded to say he prefers to be productive and not smoke. Didn’t make a thing about it, which any moral grandstanding would’ve set off the audience.

His theme the entire night: do things for others. Make life better. Be productive.

The moderation in this thread is a joke. You guys have fun with the eternally unbanned trolls I guess, I'm out.

I was wondering - is there any investors on this thread... I guess I should leave this thread for a while until things settle. There are lots of contents yet little information here that are useful. I liked this thread until recently.

Boomer, I agree with everything you wrote except David Morton. He came in at a salary of $350k, but was also granted a $10 million equity grant payable in 4 years. The man is an accountant. The only way you walk away from that kind of money is if you a) hit the lottery b) find a beautiful, single, rich heiress to marry you, or c) realize the odds of the grant being worth staying around for 4 years are very slim.

“Since I joined Tesla on August 6th, the level of public attention placed on the company, as well as the pace within the company, have exceeded my expectations,” Morton said in the filing. “This caused me to reconsider my future. I want to be clear that I believe strongly in Tesla, its mission, and its future prospects, and I have no disagreements with Tesla’s leadership or its financial reporting.”

In plain English it means this poor guy walked into a complete "sh*t-storm". While he has no "disagreements" with Tesla's financial reporting he seemingly did not like what he saw ahead. Because otherwise, they would have had to fire him and pry him out of his office to walk away from $10 million. If the poor guy is married he probably came home to another one too! lol

Can you imagine trying to explain to your wife why you walked away from $10 million?

Here is the operative phrase to focus on. I know someone who worked with Elon in his earlier company but decided to not join him in Tesla. I earlier wrote about EM not believing in work-life balance. It wasn't a joke - having EM's staff meetings on weekends is not something everyone likes. Irrespective of the payout. BTW, $10M is probably not a big deal for a CAO. He can get that somewhere else without working 24/7. Heck, I've no way of making that kind of money but even I'd refuse that kind of work.

as well as the pace within the company

ps : BTW, extreme pressure and high demand is not peculiar to EM. Many superstar CEOs (like Gates and Job) are absolutely horrible to work for.

Seriously undercuts the shorts' explanation. Basically, he didn't like being ignored, and decided that this was not the job for him.

I can already tell him one of the reasons he was ignored:

Musk and other executives didn't seem to care about the various financial obstacles, which concerned Morton, said the person. When Morton offered advice about capitalizing the company through other means rather than going private, he was ignored, said the person.

The guy should have listened to at least one conference call to understand how adamant Tesla is about not raising further capital through dilution. Going private was never about "capitalizing the company", the whole purpose was to be a private company. It was an end, not a means.

I don't think he understood what he was hired for.

upload_2018-9-7_14-30-40.jpeg
Keep the faith , 20 trucks loading on 9/5/18

Well, it seems "they" are going after Elon's character big time. He might as well smoke pot, call someone a pedo and do anything else he can think of to get the character assassination out of the way, hopefully, then it will become boring.

I believe in Tesla and Elon as much as ever, I just cant believe that investors invest based on childish name calling. Is this really what its about? I have noticed the trolls in here recently, it seems like a paid for concerted attack. Do you guys actually work for PR companies or are you contracted out? Probably the second, how much do you earn, like $10 per hour, maybe $20?

I am up to 900 shares now, I believe in Tesla as much as I ever have, in fact more. This is a win win situation for a me. I am staying long and will add whenever opportunities like this present themselves. Either I get rich beyond my wildest dreams, or I learn that civilisation is a piece of sh$t and I become a cynic about anything and everything. In which case I will become a hermit and write romantic novels about a future in which a world runs purely on renewable energy and cars drive themselves while you watch a movie or conduct business meetings. Reality or fantasy, its the same to me.

some of the trolls like Mike117 definitely should be banned.

I can see why we believe in Tesla. but how do you still have faith in Elon as CEO? it seems he is no longer making sound judgement/decisions for the past months, which is extremely critical to a company like Tesla. in the past few months:

- he made enemies out of analysts by being unnecessarily rude to them on earning call (if you dont like their questions then ignore them or say something else). some of them analysts now pile on with downgrades at every turn.
- he made enemies out of all media by attacking them with Praduh thingy. almost all media now actively seek out negativity and attack him at every chance. he may be right about the fake news, but not a smart move. Tesla needs as many friends as they could have.
- funding secured - hate to say it but a lot of us investors believed him and lost $$$.
- pedo guy (3x) - why the need to attack a low life guy over and over and over, even if he is a pedo?
- showing up live interviews looking as if he no longer cares about his appearance
- not only swearing, but also smoking weed on live TV. FFS he's a CEO not a college student. what was he thinking? he has thousands of employees and millions of customers/fans watching and looking up to him.

Long term, I believe Tesla's wheels have been set in motion and so they will likely do fine with or without Elon. just like Apple losing Steve Jobs didn't stop it from going to 1T.

that said, Elon has been everything to Tesla so I think there are more downside to the stock short term. I know many of you here will disagree, I'd love to hear your arguments on what make you all still are confident with Elon's decision making ability going forward.

I did not say that. I said David Morton just may not have liked what he saw for his own reasons. And you only need to post a response once. We heard you the first time ;)

EDIT: Now you are even starting to annoy me and that takes a LOT since I take verbal lashings all the time.

LOL. Now the short non-trolls (beachbum77) are clashing with the short-astroturfing-trolls (Mike). ;)

A large portion of the article is factually inaccurate, as I spelled out in the comments section.

I read all of your posts and none of them refute anything in the article. You just mention a lot of "what about this..." and "what about that..."

3 people 'loved' your post without checking whether what you said was even true. No wonder we live in a post-truth world.

I read all of your posts and none of them refute anything in the article. You just mention a lot of "what about this..." and "what about that..."

3 people 'loved' your post without checking whether what you said was even true. No wonder we live in a post-truth world.

Your refutation of what I wrote (since you're calling this "post-truth") is...?

And that thinking is what brought us the EQC. It is a completely risk averse design that uses as much as possible in common with other vehicles so it *will* be taking advantage of MB vast experience in tooling, production, etc. There's just one problem, and that is that this approach produces an inferior EV. It lacks range, it lacks acceleration, it lacks top end, it lacks storage (due to inefficiencies brought on by trying to wedge an EV into an ICE). And that is just considering the vehicle. A large part of Tesla's success comes from the supercharger network. What is MB doing for that?

This is a very in-the-bubble perspective. Just because something doesn't follow Tesla's lead does not automatically make it a bad choice:
  • Having a single production line that can handle multiple drive trains is not a bad thing--it saves capital which can be used for other things, shortens time-to-market, and reduces execution risk of bringing up a new plant. Tesla made a similar move recently as they walked back the decision to build the Model Y on new platform and are leveraging the Model 3 platform instead
  • "Risk averse design" can also be translated into "cleanly fits into our very successful portfolio of luxury vehicles" which demonstrates we understand our buyers and what appeals to them
  • Range, performance and frunk storage are characteristics that Tesla highlights. For MB's target buyer, they may or may not be meaningful. Instead, things like build quality, interior appointments, reliability, might have higher value to the target audience.
  • The value of range and supercharging really depends on the target buyer. If the MQC is your only car, then, yeah, its an issue. However, it is your car to pick up the kids, go to Costco, maybe commute to the office, 200 miles will probably work. Its a safe bet that EVs will be 2nd cars for a lot of folks so they will have an ICE handy for road trips
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the MQC is a "Tesla Killer", but I also don't think its wise to dismiss a company like MB when it says it's investing 10B euros in something. Still long on TSLA and not planning on selling my cars anytime soon, but one of my formative business books was Andy Grove's "Only the Paranoid Survive". IMO it's better to respect the competition and understand how their strengths line up against Tesla's weaknesses.

Okay. I am beginning to see the FUD point you guys talk about. CNBC has a new report on David Morton "being ignored". It is a total crock. It is something that my ex-wife might have done but not a seasoned CFO expecting to move into Deepak's place one day. You brush the nonsense away and do your job. Of course the story is from "someone he spoke with in recent days".

Geez.

Too many are being distracted by obfuscation of a more devious group than the little pissants who troll this site
CNBC is a partner in presenting all news Tesla in the worst possible light. It isn't news but it is distortion to serve some interest.

The latest hit to the stock has been an orchestrated effort to make the worst of his interview and combine it with as much news that
can be construed as negative to Tesla as possible. This is the work of the really big boys who represent the about-to-be-destroyed industries.

For those with leverage and margin calls, it is painful. But that is the risk one takes.
Blaming Musk is wrong because he is the first to speak of volatility, which, as I have learned all too painfully, does not work for those who don't know what they are doing, and that is most of us.

The plan is all focused as the only defense the soon-to-be-obsolete losing industries have against Tesla technology.
They are scared. They need to delay the inevitable and this is the only thing they have left.

One particularly galling aspect of the distorted reporting, as well the complaints in this forum is to make the assumption that Musk was smoking weed. That is not what I saw. Musk asked Rogan what he was smoking, was it a cigar? Rogan said it was a combination of tobacco and weed. Then he encouraged Musk to try it. Musk did. But I don't think he inhaled any of it because it was more a curiosity about what the combination was. How can anyone blame him for being be curious? And the continuing discussion about weed further distorts what we think we saw. Rogan really was not up to the task of presenting an intellectually challenging interview. He is a regular guy who has taken a number of hits to the head and hasn't got a lot of depth.

This stock price dip is painful for those who believe in the company and hold a big investment. For everyone else it is just an opportunity to pile on. There is a lot of envy about what Musk has achieved. Yes, he does enjoy an ego massage, but I think he is more concerned about doing good stuff and having people recognize that effort for doing good where so many others are doing evil.

Put the trolls on ignore. If you have complaints about Musk, it is not going to change things. Either you see the potential and hold, or you sell. Everything else earns an ignore. It's pointless clutter.

Your refutation of what I wrote (since you're calling this "post-truth") is...?

I didn't refute what you wrote, I just pointed out that it doesn't challenge any of the facts in the article.

I actually agreed with most of the posts you made over there, since you were replying to some incredibly ignorant comments, and you posted some interesting things. But I can't see anywhere you have actually challenged a fact in the article. Now maybe you challenged the conclusions it drew, but that's very different and not what we're talking about

some of the trolls like Mike117 definitely should be banned.

I can see why we believe in Tesla. but how do you still have faith in Elon as CEO? it seems he is no longer making sound judgement/decisions for the past months, which is extremely critical to a company like Tesla. in the past few months:

- he made enemies out of analysts by being unnecessarily rude to them on earning call (if you dont like their questions then ignore them or say something else). some of them analysts now pile on with downgrades at every turn.
- he made enemies out of all media by attacking them with Praduh thingy. almost all media now actively seek out negativity and attack him at every chance. he may be right about the fake news, but not a smart move. Tesla needs as many friends as they could have.
- funding secured - hate to say it but a lot of us investors believed him and lost $$$.
- pedo guy (3x) - why the need to attack a low life guy over and over and over, even if he is a pedo?
- showing up live interviews looking as if he no longer cares about his appearance
- not only swearing, but also smoking weed on live TV. FFS he's a CEO not a college student. what was he thinking? he has thousands of employees and millions of customers/fans watching and looking up to him.

Long term, I believe Tesla's wheels have been set in motion and so they will likely do fine with or without Elon. just like Apple losing Steve Jobs didn't stop it from going to 1T.

that said, Elon has been everything to Tesla so I think there are more downside to the stock short term. I know many of you here will disagree, I'd love to hear your arguments on what make you all still are confident with Elon's decision making ability going forward.

You seem to forget Tesla is setting production/delivery records each and every month right now. Other than that... Yeah... Elon doesn't know what he's doing ;)

Too many are being distracted by obfuscation of a more devious group than the little pissants who troll this site
CNBC is a partner in presenting all news Tesla in the worst possible light. It isn't news but it is distortion to serve some interest.

Oh god...

CNBC was practically gushing over Tesla from the start of August - they have Gene Munster on every day talking up Tesla, they have Kramer there talking up Tesla (at least until today) and they have guests on all the time who have long Tesla or Dec calls in the 400's on very regularly.

I don't watch it directly, just the highlights Yahoo repeats, but CNBC seems to have a very strong pro-Tesla contingent. The fact you see it the complete opposite might indicate they're showing both sets of opinions.

My M3PUP is due on Oct 6th BTW... :)

Oh god...

CNBC was practically gushing over Tesla from the start of August - they have Gene Munster on every day talking up Tesla, they have Kramer there talking up Tesla (at least until today) and they have guests on all the time who have long Tesla or Dec calls in the 400's on very regularly.

I don't watch it directly, just the highlights Yahoo repeats, but CNBC seems to have a very strong pro-Tesla contingent. The fact you see it the complete opposite might indicate they're showing both sets of opinions.

My M3PUP is due on Oct 6th BTW... :)

I think you will hear from quite a few others who don't share your view of CNBC's objectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.