Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, think I'm unpinning it from my browser too. I used to comment on most of the interesting articles as well, but the place is awash with trolls anyway.

CleanTechnica has much better article and good in-depth analysis.

Yeah, I've frequently been impressed with the quality of work over on CleanTechnica.

Jerome is also the only one ever (that I know of) that has made comeback after being sidelined (taking personal time after Model X fiasco)
Tesla has (and has had) many great leaders, but Jerome has rare quality: being able to endure working with Elon.
Were this garbage is coming from? He wasn't sidelined at any point of his career in Tesla.
After Tesla service he got cart blanch and took his time to design Tesla semi.

What do you guys think Model Y with Tesla’s current technology would cost? And an other question; has Tesla said anything about Model Y’s price?

For equivalent-range/performance vehicles, If they're really good about streamlining and keeping the weight down, they might be able to pull off only increasing energy consumption by ~10-15% and component mass by ~15-20% (there would be a greater difference between 3 and Y than S and X because S is already larger than 3). Energy consumption translates to cost in batteries (for the same range) and the charger (for the same mph/kph charge speed). Mass translates to cost in the powertrain (for the same performance) and general build cost (although with respect to the latter, somewhat less than linearly).

But, Tesla's battery costs are dropping, their powertrain costs are dropping, and they keep doing things to improve their overall manufacturing costs (for the Y, their plans for the wiring harness are really interesting in this regard). By the time it comes out, I expect the Y to be quite competitive.

This sounds good for Q3! One of the TSLA employees told an attendee at this event they expected to sellout 400 units at that one location! All the people who couldn't drive home in a new Model 3 were giving delivery appts. before the end of Q3.

View attachment 333271
Monday's FUD/short headlines...

"In a desperate attempt to boost third quarter sales numbers, Tesla tries to rush deliveries in a factory free for all."

It will be spun and spun and spun and spun and...
I really wonder what those weekend meetings look like in the bowels of media outlets where they decide what next weeks headlines are going to be.

Dan

I am sitting on $300 J 18 calls with deep losses and excited about the fact that we had a sharp 35% drop in SP over 4 weeks instead of a protracted gradual downtrend
all this means to me is that we are so much closer to the bottom and judging by historical drops of similar magnitude the probability of a sharp V shaped recovery is very real
i can not stand second hand smoke and i tell all my patients the dangers of using marijuana and alcohol so i am not impressed by Elon's lack of judgement in this regard although i watched the entire interview and i believe media blew it way out of proportion and Elon clearly is not a fan of marijuana. however, I am disappointed by his inability to do the right thing which was to tell the interviewer that he does not smoke weed and not to be sitting and drinking alcohol and inhaling second hand smoke. what kind of example is he setting for younger generations.
having said that only an idiot will sell $TSLA for this reason alone.
i am super excited to be able to trade this extremely volatile stock for the next several years and totally welcome the volatility

This is weekend OT, but let me indulge in this scenario.

I tend to agree with you, but I don't think that Musk is that kind of person: I think he does not have in himself to tell a big, "arrogant" guy as Joe "Please don't smoke that blunt in my face".
First, Musk drinks alcohol (I don't know how much, but he enjoys the occasional drink), and it's liberal about these kind of recreational drugs.
Second, Musk is fundamentally, at the core, the uncool, unpopular kid he's always been. He can be the most stubborn and obstinate person on the planet, but just on the things he believes, that he knows. He lives most of his time on an abstract/logical level, and if you tell him "you can't do it" based just on previous experience, and not first principles.
Elon was not at ease. He tried to be polite, to explain difficult things to a guy that didn't understand half of them, that has no proper education in physics/engineering/math, that always talked and talked and made jokes and poured alcohol and offered him weed. Joe is a jock-type, a bro-type: Musk is very much the nerd type (the brand-new billionaire nerd type, as Bill Gates was).
I actually felt bad for Elon at times. I think they connected just at the end, with "love is the answer" (joe is not an idiot, and didn't make fun of Elon for that).

I tend to interpret Musk's action treating him as a (very) high-functioning male on the autistic spectrum, and I think it's always helpful (if you're interested, read The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin)

It is obvious, that I don’t know how average U.S. pickup buyers think, but I have a feeling, that they would be in the conservative end of the spectrum. So are they going to buy an electric car?

If you follow the teslamotors subreddit Which has move folloMwers than most of the other car companies combined you’ll know that they’re screaming for a pick up truck. Also, Elon tweeted about asking for input on pickup features and the net went crazy.

Já sæll! $680M is some serious cash to get started on the factory. Given how cheap construction is in China, and how Tesla is just replicating their current lines... I mean, that's already a third of the estimated total cost to bring GF3 up to a 250k vehicles/day production rate.

They have plenty of cash on the bank.

Of course, but plenty is always relative. They do also need to pay payables and the bonds in February 2019.

So they paid the additional 680M this quarter? So Cash and equivalents might be quite low in Q3.

Mod: Not likely a problem. Fully discussed up thread. Also, you should know of likely source of funds locally, also discussed thoroughly up thread and some members kindly inform you downthread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, but plenty is always relative. They do also need to pay payables and the bonds in February 2019.

So they paid the additional 680M this quarter? So Cash and equivalents might be quite low in Q3.
I'm not an expert on this subject, but if they transfer 680M to Shanghai but didn't spend it there will be no change on the balance sheet.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but if they transfer 680M to Shanghai but didn't spend it there will be no change on the balance sheet.
Man, don't you recognize FUD from a Day One Commenter? Tesla was absolutely clear that GF3/Shanghai would be financed with local debt. That means one of the banks in Shanghai has released the first tranche of the that loan to Tesla's bank account in Shanghai.

No money is coming from Tesla Corporate to finance GF3. Please do not feed the Trolls.

This is in Vancouver. Interesting they have rear-wheel drive Model 3’s available right now. I believe these are likely canceled orders that had already been sent and/or inventory cars they are replacing with dual motor performance versions for test drives.

Attachments

• D0C5C308-8BF4-44AF-BFCC-F170F2EB979F.jpeg
    D0C5C308-8BF4-44AF-BFCC-F170F2EB979F.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.