Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol...bucking convention? Putting a couple hundred cars on a lot and inviting people to come and pick one to buy and take home? Dealers have been doing this for nearly 100 years. ;)

How is picking up your car directly from the factory a dealership model? No third party involved, no haggling, no unwanted upselling.

Seriously, guys, I have to throw cold water.

A dozen times in the last month I've found myself saying "Tesla is producing XXXX cars per week", before stopping and correcting myself to say "XXXX Model 3 per week". It's an easy slip-up to make, since Model S and X production is not changing much and nobody is looking at it and it's much smaller than Model 3 production. A few years back, several of us did the same thing when talking about "Tesla's cumulative production of cars", repeatedly forgetting the Roadster production.

Musk is short on sleep and under high stress, and we know his messages don't get vetted by anyone as careful as me. I think we should assume that he meant more than double MODEL 3 deliveries and production, even though he said "cars". It is a *very* easy slip-up to make. Because if you assume that, *all the numbers match up*.
Producing the cars that are then delivered...is the water-tight lawyer interpretation. Because just doubling delivery numbers of the 3 would be a pitiful number. Tripling would be acceptable. So he did in fact mean doubling of all cars delivered last quarter -S/X/3.

View attachment 333030
Just received an email (lame btw) from an Audi of Naples sales rep stating that the e-Tron reservation window will open on September 17th.

IMO, the Mercedes unveiling was a bust and should have no impact to TSLA price....I wonder if Audi's product will have a similar or negative impact to SP (albeit short lived once Tesla's quarterly results are unveiled).

Thoughts?
Whoever's running Audi is *consciously* copying Tesla. Good for them, actually. The rumored production level based on the Hungarian factory is 50K per year so that also makes them more serious than any of the others.

I wish them luck.

Lol...bucking convention? Putting a couple hundred cars on a lot and inviting people to come and pick one to buy and take home? Dealers have been doing this for nearly 100 years. ;)

Yeah, except all of them were gone within 3 hours LOL

It's totally different, all these people have paid a reservation, or ordered the car. It's just a quick way to get them out to the customers.

Sounds like it was a bit chaotic, but as a first effort, very successful.

Yeah, except all of them were gone within 3 hours LOL

It's totally different, all these people have paid a reservation, or ordered the car. It's just a quick way to get them out to the customers.

Sounds like it was a bit chaotic, but as a first effort, very successful.
Donn is currently trying to muddy up the model 3 delivery threads btw

Meanwhile, Electrek's "trustworthy anonymous source" is saying only 3,1k this week, due to the labour day shutdown.
Of course, if the line employees actually got a 3-day weekend off (while more upgrades were done), that's a 4-day week which annualizes to 5425 per 7 day week. And if the number was rounded down, or worse, truncated down, then to 5500/week or 5600/week.

Someone's lying here - either Vicki Salvador or Fred's "trustworthy source".
It is plausible that Fred's "trustworthy source" is being deliberately misleading in a way which isn't technically "lying", too.

There's long hours, and then there's "you will never see your family again and we expect you to sleep at the factory -- plus you will face a smear campaign in the press". I can see how he understimated it

Sure and except for the occasional time, they aren’t sleeping on the factory floor. It’s well documented that shifts and people have been added over the years, injury rates are down etc...

So it HAS changed.

Let's be careful with information. The attached listing is cherry picked, NOT all vehicle classes, but only cars. Trucks (and many SUVs are classified as trucks, I know my Honda Pilot is) are not included in the list. F-series pickup is still the number one selling vehicle in the the USA. All this means is Tesla still has a long way to go, but I have no doubt it will happen. I'd like to see a list including all vehicle classes.
Tesla Model 3 is #15 among all vehicle classes, according to goodcarbadcar.net.

Though I think counting the entire F series as one vehicle (which they do) is unreasonable, since an F-150 and F-450 have very little in common.

Usually people post email they have received from Tesla but I didn't see this.
Did anyone else get this sort of email today?

mail

Hi XXXXX,
We have a limited number of Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive vehicles on display that are available for immediate delivery.
As a first day reservation holder, you’re invited to take advantage of this opportunity on a first-come, first-served basis.
We will be extending this invitation to additional Model 3 reservation holders ‪on Monday, September 10.

ORDER NOW

I agree, and it was fine for employees but I think that when it was published on the investor relations website, it should have been filtered through someone who checked it, or added a footnote.

Meh. If you just read it as an employee email, then there’s no issues. Stop trying to read it as something it isn’t and then there’s no problem.

And you know the only reason it got on the website was because someone who can’t follow a simple NDA was going to leak it.

If they change it, now it’s no longer the email sent to employees. It’s an amended email, ‘omg, what did the original say?!?!’ And so on.

So you want to damn Elon and Tesla regardless of their actions. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.