Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IANAL, but a couple of thoughts about the legal angle:
  • The settlement agreement is not yet approved by the judge, it's not yet entered as final judgement, so Elon is probably not bound by its terms yet - mocking the SEC is not against the law.
  • The SEC is a federal agency, if they retaliate in any fashion against Elon for voicing his opinion then that looks like a clear-cut violation of Elon's First Amendment rights.
  • The SEC cannot simply rescind the agreement, nor can Elon. To rescind the SEC would have to prove to the judge that Elon does not intend to honor the agreement. Making lawful statements of opinion about a federal agency, before the agreement is entered as final judgement, do not appear to be valid grounds to rescind.
But keep in mind that IANAL.

Nevertheless doing this probably wasn't wise: Elon is (again) lashing out from a position of apparent weakness.

Instead he should start bribing the political process like absolutely every other billionaire does, and once Tesla is strong and has a moat of politicians protecting it, he should communicate from a position of strength.

I created a "winning the PR war" thread elsewhere on the board.

Winning the PR war (Time for big grassroots push?)

We should grassroots (and non-grassroots) solutions to fight back.

Judges like to move cases off their docket ASAP

Judicial activism?

Just wondering if there was more possible outcomes than just approved and not approved and going to court.

Mind, I'd be in favor of it being thrown, and pretty confident they could win at court if not (it'd just takes years of distraction). But don't know what all the possibilities are if the judge doesn't like the settlement.

Right now he seems to be caring that SP not yet at
Musk is upset about the stock price because he's been paying the employees largely in stock options and he wants the employees to get value out of those stock options, even if they can't afford to hang onto the stock for years. He's actually said something along these lines.

I'm sure he's also personally upset by the trade libel and disinformation, because it's just offensive.

As many of you know, I'm short.

But I am genuinely enraged by Musk's behavior. This is an embarrassment to US capitalism. What the hell is he thinking?

Taunting regulators achieves nothing and only hurts your shareholders.

As CEO and chairman, this man is ultimately responsible for over 40 billion in wealth across the country. What does he hope to achieve?

And why waste any time on Twitter at all? This is the most vital point in your company's history - why sit around and tweet? What do you hope to gain?

I just can't believe it.

Elon, if you do read this forum: bears and bulls agree, get the hell of Twitter.

As many of you know, I'm short.

But I am genuinely enraged by Musk's behavior. This is an embarrassment to US capitalism. What the hell is he thinking?

Taunting regulators achieves nothing and only hurts your shareholders.

As CEO and chairman, this man is ultimately responsible for over 40 billion in wealth across the country. What does he hope to achieve?

And why waste any time on Twitter at all? This is the most vital point in your company's history - why sit around and tweet? What do you hope to gain?

I just can't believe it.

he has said that his time on twitter is minusucule, so time wise it really doesn't matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
there is to be something else here. it comes off very random. Either he's reacting to that report about SEC still investigating Tesla or there is some news coming soon.
I've got the same disturbing feeling. Perhaps he is getting hit by the SEC now with requests for emails and info pertinent to the model 3 production numbers investigation. Something seems to have triggered him today. I hope it was just TSLA tanking again.

Even government agencies are staffed by humans--if the rumors are true that the SEC has an open inquiry about M3 production guidance in 2017 and 2018, why kick the hornets' nest?

On the flip side, if they really are investigating that then I’m pretty supportive of his tweet today.

At some point you got to push back against the nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.