Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, this is quite true. I'm not ready to bail here personally, partly because that would be financial suicide at this point, but also because I love Tesla cars. They are simply outstanding products. My wife drives an X and I now have a performance 3 after driving an S for over 3 years. We love the cars. However, my wife is now in the boat of very much disliking Elon because of his behavior. She was never an admirer but was basically neutral before. She has mentioned several times recently how much she dislikes Elon because of his arrogance and aggressive petty public attacks. She is now driving the X in spite of her dislike for Elon, because she really likes the car. However, she has said that part of her doesn't feel right about driving a car when she doesn't like the person who made it (symbolically.) I remind her how much she likes the X and that there is much more to Tesla than just Elon. Unfortunately, it's pretty clear that she's not the only one who has developed quite a negative impression of Elon over the last year. It's really a shame that things have evolved this way.

Oh brother. I wonder how she would react being put in the exact same position. As the saying goes “walk a mile in my shoes”. People sure like to say “I’d never do that if I were him”, while sitting by the pool drinking a latte trying to get rich off from him busting his a$$.

Okay... Let's go with that thought then... Q4 is gonna be Off. The. Chain...
So why do you think we're at $261.95 tonight?

Because the stock's value isn't set simply by the people you're talking with? Because various entities on the market have different views as to every aspect of the company and the marketplace? Because some people take short positions, driving down the stock? Because markets don't like uncertainty? Because the broader markets have been declining, and Tesla moves more than the general market? Take your pick.

Elon's refusal to settle and his recent SEC tweet were clearly the triggers for a $40 and $20 drop so why are you supporting his tweets? I don't think Elon understand the impact a drop from 350 to 260 in a matter of weeks has on average small investors. He said he did not care about day traders and that true long term investors would be OK - this showed that he had no appreciation of how hard it was on small investors. Some of us put 10, 20, 30 years worth of saving on tsla and when it drops from 350 to 260 that represents as much as 10 year's hardwork. For a middle class investor losing 10 year's saving would have a huge impact to his/her quality of life. Also, most middle class investors can't afford to put away a large chunk of net worth for 10 years waiting for loss to recover even if they have complete faith. Elon's net worth could drop from 30B to 20B but his quality of life would never change.

I am not saying Elon doesn't care but I think he does not understand small investors. HyperChange and TeslaDailyPodcast both came out and appealed to Elon - I think they did a great service for us. I also sent a letter to Elon via tsla ir - not that I expect him to read it but at least someone might compile the sentiments and provide feedback to him.

If you invested in NFLX, your would know from May 2011 $300, it dropped to $53 in a year! those who understood the business model stayed on, bought more, then it went to $2800, now $2457 (there was a 7:1 split in 2015).

I don't know how exactly TSLA will play out. Not saying it will move the same way NFLX did, I really have no clue. If you didn't use leverage in your TSLA stock purchase, you can keep saving cash, watch and see what will happen next. You might get a great entry point later.

Personally I stay the course. I have a lot of shares, continue to save cash, will continue to add down the road, be it $100 or $400. I'm not blindly adding. Everything I look at, this business is likely to hit big in 10 years.

If we look from the insurance angle, Tesla has a decent chance to produce 50 million vehicles in the next 12 years (I have a map to guess how many they will produce each year), if they earn $500 insurance premium from each car each year, they can earn a total of $300B in the lifetime of these cars. This is doable as they started to build their own bodyshops, the next natural step is to start their own insurance, knowing the accident rate is 4~5 times lower than normal cars. They have a strong competitive advantage to sign up customers. I'm not saying this is guaranteed to happen, it's a scenario, which has a decent chance to happen. Then there is the potential self-driving ride sharing business, they could earn $30,000 from each used Tesla, if they solve self-driving.

Paying too much attention to quarterly results may lead to missing the big picture. Even if you guess the results right, the stock might move unexpectedly. Better to have your own plan, don't play the Wall Street game.

I'm not a fan of leverage. A little bit diversification can help to reduce stress.

I think there is a long history to TSLA, it starts from around 2013 when the SP was in 30s and now it has shot up to 200s-300s. New longs don't understand this history and why this is such a battleground stock. The longs on this thread and very seasoned hardcore longs and they are in a war with those shorts who are also hardcore. For newbies to come and buy is absolutely dangerous unless you are prepared to join the war.

Elon's refusal to settle and his recent SEC tweet were clearly the triggers for a $40 and $20 drop so why are you supporting his tweets? I don't think Elon understand the impact a drop from 350 to 260 in a matter of weeks has on average small investors. He said he did not care about day traders and that true long term investors would be OK - this showed that he had no appreciation of how hard it was on small investors. Some of us put 10, 20, 30 years worth of saving on tsla and when it drops from 350 to 260 that represents as much as 10 year's hardwork. For a middle class investor losing 10 year's saving would have a huge impact to his/her quality of life. Also, most middle class investors can't afford to put away a large chunk of net worth for 10 years waiting for loss to recover even if they have complete faith (kid going to college, medical emergencies, retirement, etc.) Elon's net worth could drop from 30B to 20B but his quality of life would never change.

I am not saying Elon doesn't care but I think he does not understand small investors. HyperChange and TeslaDailyPodcast both came out and appealed to Elon - I think they did us a great service. I also sent a letter to Elon via tsla ir - not that I expect him to read it but at least someone might compile the sentiments and provide feedback to him.

I have no idea what you mean by losing 10 years of hardwork. Stock goes up, stock goes down. If you think in term of paper losses as real losses than the market is probably not for you.

Why do you care...you getting rich from shorting...right?

Just asking the question... If Q4 is gonna be the craziest quarter, you'd think more people would recognize that, and the price ~should~ go up in anticipation of that... But it's not...
So, just asking the question... Clearly, I'm missing something... Sorry to bug you tonight.. Take care..

She thinks I'm a little nuts to continue to support Elon, to be honest.
My wife actually liked Elon's tweets and encouraged me to buy more shares, which I did in modest numbers. My opinion is that it's generally not a good idea to troll government regulators. But Elon does speak the truth - the SEC is only helping shorts.

Because the stock's value isn't set simply by the people you're talking with? Because various entities on the market have different views as to every aspect of the company and the marketplace? Because some people take short positions, driving down the stock? Because markets don't like uncertainty? Because the broader markets have been declining, and Tesla moves more than the general market? Take your pick.

A fair reply and points... Thank you...

Except for one.. If I borrow a stock and sell it short, a new long is buying it from me...
One sell, one buy... The share didn't even exist before I borrowed it, so one new buy, one new sell...
I could just as easily argue that that new "buyer" is driving the price higher...
But I don't, because that would just be silly... ;-)

And, the best part.... To cover my position, I have to "buy"...
You could even say I'll eventually support the stock with my future buying...

All Elon has to do is sell a car profitably, and the shorts go away... It's not shorts pushing the stock down...

Think about it...

I appreciate that thought, but it's the "market" that's giving it credence...

Q3 sales that everybody would pretty much agree, very good....
But, oddly, no forward guidance... None....
If it was ~good~ news, Elon would have tweeted it far and wide.... It's what he does...

And he didn't...
Tesla issues forward guidance in their earnings report AFAIK, which is about a month after the end of the quarter, not immediately after the end of the quarter.

A fair reply and points... Thank you...

Except for one.. If I borrow a stock and sell it short, a new long is buying it from me...
One sell, one buy... The share didn't even exist before I borrowed it, so one new buy, one new sell...
I could just as easily argue that that new "buyer" is driving the price higher...
But I don't, because that would just be silly... ;-)

And, the best part.... To cover my position, I have to "buy"...
You could even say I'll eventually support the stock with my future buying...

All Elon has to do is sell a car profitably, and the shorts go away... It's not shorts pushing the stock down...

Think about it...
We have thought about it...and placed our pet's accordingly...have you?
Do you have skin in the game or not?

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash and M|S|W
I think these wild share price swings prove Elon right. It’s a hard truth for some to accept since they make a lot of money doing it, but short selling is not good for investing in America.

There is no benefit but to incentivize bad behavior. It’s a lie to say otherwise.

A bad business should be investigated to warn investors to get out. Not to make money off of investors who have money in a bad company. The SEC (reporting, etc...)is designed to prevent bad companies from taking advantage of actual investors.

There is no justification for short selling. None. They don’t help uncover bad companies, they just stiff unwitting investors with their bill.

It is absolutely antithetical to what investing means. There are no adds on tv that say let’s make money taking companies down. None. I’d love to see a one Fidelity ad promoting that to retail investors in their mutual funds, retirement funds.

I don’t buy the do good shorting arguement. It’s a scam to keep the racket going.

Let me know of all the do good short sellers that make money every day pushing good stocks around and vis versa for pumping a stock, just then to short it.

Let me know about all the do gooder shorts that manipulate the media or pay for insider information with all those do gooder dollars they make disparaging companies.

To create chaos and doubt is their method. That how you make people press the sell button. It’s far easier to convince someone to sell. This is the very base nature, it is built into it. There is nothing good about it.

It’s a way to make money, not uncover bad companies. I can’t stand it when I hear that arguement.

Some big people need to have the courage to do the right thing and call this out. Elon has the fortitude to do that. It may be rough around the edges sometimes, but by goodness, he doing it here.

Tesla issues forward guidance in their earnings report AFAIK, which is about a month after the end of the quarter, not immediately after the end of the quarter.

The point was, THIS is the first time Elon didn't say a word about forward guidance, at the time of the release of the production numbers...
You're certainly correct in what you said, but he's also been tweeting out un-official FG during the production numbers...
This is is the first time he didn't...

The world doesn't want to be saved. Elon is slowly starting to realize that. Case in point: Trump, Kavanaugh, consumerism, nationalism.

We need to F the SEC and the shorts. Who cares about the world and some mission to reduce green house gases. We need to fight the fight and go down in flames, as long as we follow our principles and values.

Those of you who don't know Elon should watch that video where he says, "I'll never give up, never." That's the Elon we want in this world, not some pussy who backs down to the SEC or shorts. The same Elon who is tweeting now is the one who fought all odds to bring Tesla and SpaceX to where they are now.

Can we suppress Elon and still have the same Elon?

The point was, THIS is the first time Elon didn't say a word about forward guidance, at the time of the release of the production numbers...
You're certainly correct in what you said, but he's also been tweeting out un-official FG during the production numbers...
This is is the first time he didn't...
Offhand, this is also the first time Elon's reached a settlement with the SEC, so there's that...

Along the same lines, can you link to the statements on forward guidance you're claiming he made?

Status
Not open for further replies.