Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, does this mean that these are financing leases, where Tesla is going to own all the Panasonic lines once the leases are fully paid? What would the lease term be - a couple of years?

Typically in such leases the lessee would have a purchase option at a level low enough to make it compelling for him to buy (known in the industry as a Bargain Purchase Option). You can see the remaining lease terms (in aggregate) in the contractual obligations section of the Liquidity discussion in the 10K.

"Gaining" should be "beating," imho, but will take it as a half-success.

Yep, Tesla Is Gobbling USA Luxury Car Market — 8 Charts & Graphs | CleanTechnica

Agree. Interesting for me is how slowly those negative media are changing about Tesla. I do not expect that today they are FUDsters and tomorrow they are supporters. I think that there will be transition where you will se mix of bad and good news so the average reader will not notice or less notice the change. Of course this slowly approach will allow mainstream media that they save their faces and average reader would trust them further because they have "always right".

This is the moment where the quality of journalism can rise. If somebody start to publishing old articles of main media and confront them with new one, can be interesting. On the other hand who cares about history?

I must say that I'm pi*** of to see that those main media could go away without punishment about what they did to Tesla. The worst thing is that they can do it easily again.

Can someone write a book about that? Please...for sake of all of us!

Thanks. Happened sometime back. Can't complain. :)

Hey @ZachShahan this reminded me to ask you.....immediately following your questions during the Q2 call, there was an unidentified analyst who made the following statement. Do you have any idea who followed you in the Q&A line up?

Unknown Analyst

A quick request. Years ago, you warned about a coming short tsunami and it seemed obvious that it was coming, but the shorts didn't really seem to recognize it and then sort of attacked you, trolled you for months. And then finally, it came. You again warned very honestly, I think, very directly that there is going to be a short -- kind of epic short squeeze. We have, I think, the whole community has a little request. Don't let the trolls get you down. Don't see the trolls too much, but we do like it when you tease the trolls a bit. So you do your judgment, but thanks a lot for what you're doing.

Elon R. Musk

Co-Founder, Chairman, CEO & Product Architect

Right. Well, thank you for your enough coverage of [ cleanup ] energy technology.

Ben Sullins just shared another vid with this guy on AP9. They have 1.5m followers and this got 180k reviews. Thats 180k people that probably knew very little about Tesla as their channel appears to be mostly about breastfeeding... And other important things too!

It is their journey from being an infertile couple to having a baby boy with help of fertility doctors then having a second boy without help of fertility doctors. And now their life. I guess a big part of her life the last five years has been breast feeding. :)

My guess is not an insignificant portion of those 180k views are from people searching for Tesla videos.

Maybe the SEC is puzzled why Tesla investors are livid at them for siding with Tesla anti-investors?

I think it is the SEC that needs re-education, they need to be reminded that their mission is to help investors ...

Hint: the SEC dropping the share price of one of the most innovative American companies from ~$310 to ~$250 by suing its CEO because he tried to protect shareholders took billions dollars of value from Tesla shareholders and enriched anti-shareholders with about half a billion dollars.

And the SEC had the audacity to force Tesla and its CEO into a one-sided settlement to enhance the returns of anti-shareholders by another 40 million dollars, and they are also trying to damage Tesla by unprofessionally meddling with its board of directors? Was a windfall of half a billion dollars not enough?

Is the SEC not just a Shortseller Enrichment Commission, but also a Shareholder-value Elimination Commision?

Uh-oh, watch out for Elon Tweeting this out tomorrow - I don't recall a scandal over the las week, so we're due one...

Or how 'bout Shorts Equality Campaign? Or Stupid unEthical and Corrupt??

Seriously is this fact? WTF?

In their lawsuit the SEC asked the judge to bar Elon from being the CEO of any public company, for life. This sanction, not any monetary damages, is what caused the Tesla stock to tank.

This was a reckless act of blackmail in essence, and this is why Elon/Tesla settled, under duress.

Hey @ZachShahan this reminded me to ask you.....immediately following your questions during the Q2 call, there was an unidentified analyst who made the following statement. Do you have any idea who followed you in the Q&A line up?

Unknown Analyst

A quick request. Years ago...
...SNIP...
Right. Well, thank you for your enough coverage of [ cleanup ] energy technology.

Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
TSLA earnings call for the period ending June 30, 2018.

Motley Fool Transcribing
(MFTranscribing)
Aug 6, 2018 at 3:15PM

Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
Q2 2018 Earnings Conference Call
Aug. 1, 2018 5:30 p.m. ET

Zachary Shahan -- CleanTechnica -- Reporter

Yeah. [Inaudible] questions but I'll end with a quick request. Years ago you...

Elon Musk -- Chairman, Product Architect, and CEO

Sorry. Go ahead.

Zachary Shahan -- CleanTechnica -- Reporter

Years ago you warned about a coming short tsunami and it seemed obvious it was coming but the shorts didn't really seem to recognize that and then sort of attacked you, trolled you for months and then finally, it came. You again warned very honestly, I think very directly, that there's going to be an epic short squeeze. We have I think the whole community has a little request. Don't let the trolls get you down, don't see the trolls too much but we do like it when you tease the trolls a bit.

So use your judgment but thanks a lot for what you're doing.

Elon Musk -- Chairman, Product Architect, and CEO

All right. Well, thank you for your in-depth coverage of clean-energy technology.

Agree. Interesting for me is how slowly those negative media are changing about Tesla. I do not expect that today they are FUDsters and tomorrow they are supporters. I think that there will be transition where you will se mix of bad and good news so the average reader will not notice or less notice the change. Of course this slowly approach will allow mainstream media that they save their faces and average reader would trust them further because they have "always right".

This is the moment where the quality of journalism can rise. If somebody start to publishing old articles of main media and confront them with new one, can be interesting. On the other hand who cares about history?

I must say that I'm pi*** of to see that those main media could go away without punishment about what they did to Tesla. The worst thing is that they can do it easily again.

Can someone write a book about that? Please...for sake of all of us!

With more and more undeniable positive fact that Tesla releases we can expect that the Media will turn around one day and all of a sudden pretend its a great company and they never did say really different. Journalists will not hesitate and do what is required to sell and collect clicks. The mainstream readers will forget quickly but we will remember.

What we can hope for though is that some of the always negative reporter who did bend the truth by 180 Degree will be not forgotten and reminded what they did and how wrong they have been. To remind them we all should thank @ZachShahan for his great and very interesting and insightful @Pravduh reviews that help to shed light on people who sell their soul for money missing any kind of integrity and honesty.

You remember the joke about 10 lawyers ?
Question: "What is wrong with 10 lawyers on a ground of a lake with weights on their feed?"
Answer: "Nothing"

You get the point.

Also its my, maybe naive, opinion that large media like Bloomberg, Business Insider and other have done lasting damage to their reputation. This can't be pushed on some individuals. I will never forget what they did to Tesla and the mission to protect our environment and make the world a better place to live in. Unfortunately I believe this will not be reflected in their revenue and subscriptions as most people tend to forget quickly.

Concerning the book you ask for I believe there will be much more than one book and one movie be released about the history in the making that we all experience this days and months. We are in the middle of a longer war of survival and what the ICE and also Oil industry does experience is in my view summarized in this sentence:

"if you don't get air - nothing else matters!"

Its better for all of us to expect their fight of survival to be a very dirty one and they just got a glimpse of low air in the US. A fight for survival is never pretty to watch.

The worst will come to surface and I expect the Oil & Gas & Car industry to have much more dirty tricks than we even think off. However on the positive side the public opinion is clearly not with them any more and they cannot fight the consumer. Its kind of over if you look at the facts but they may not realize it. Its a "dead man walking".

As of today I did expect them to catch up and transform a bid already but I am loosing faith every day a bid that they are able to and even truly willing to do it fast enough to avoid them loosing their business. Even the VW CEO Dies said that already in an interview to my surprise that the carbon regulations will require them to lay off up to 100k people if implemented. He wanted to spread fear of course and put pressure on the government regulations but if they have to fire that amount of people you can predict that they know what market share they will likely loose.

Because they have been successfully fighting government regulations in the past they are in the mess the face today. Innovation is what matters and they have been successfully avoided it by producing slightly better cars with slightly less emissions and expecting the consumer to applaud. They completely missed the concept of an Oligopoly that controls a market but with less competitive pressure does not improve and finally looses the touch to the consumers.

That all goes well unless someone does not play to their rules. 50 companies since about 1950 did not play to their rules and they buried all of them. They thought Tesla will be an easy one. Just one more time. The # 51 carve on their wood. They did not expect THIS to happen. Not that quickly and not the order of magnitude.

What I hear from the auto industry are many measures, actions and attempts to mitigate, divert and fight carbon regulation, emission compliance standards and the public opinion as such.

What I do not hear is the true efforts and hard work to build world class EVs that are better than Tesla. Its to me not like they truly did and failed which would be acceptable to me. Its really like they said we will build an EV that is 80% as good as a Tesla and given its the Audi, BMW and Daimler brand consumer will buy it.

At the end of the day the large automakers have lost their understanding what the consumer is looking for. This is because they lost their direct contact to them as the dealerships own it and their products and services never have been challenges in the last 100 years.

The most easy area where you can see this is the charging network.

Tesla's thought process is that they need to make sure they build all what is required to enable consumers a drive experience that is not limited by range and people can use their products as they used their ICE with regards of traveling from A to B be it a short distance or long.

The ICE industry thought process is charging is not our business as fueling never has been. Other industry or the government has to make sure the infrastructure is out there. We build cars and thats it.

Until today they have not truly understood that Tesla is not just building cars and thats it. You can transfer that thought to autonomous driving, Software upgrades and many more within the Tesla ecosystem.

They thought lets build an EV that is an Audi, BMW or Daimler within our horizontal integrated structure that we have build the last 100 years. Charging is not our business and suppliers should deliver the parts so we reduce the EV production into replacing an combustion engine and drive train with an electric engine and battery.

"Dead man walking"

Last edited:
Next gen roadster deposits are $200K or $250K a pop, Semi deposits are also pretty high (don't remember the figure, but at least 25K maybe 50K). I do not know how many of those they have but they certainly contribute.
A simple check will show 2nd Gen Roadster at $50k deposit and Semi at $20k deposit. In addition to M3, deposits are also carried on MS, MX, solar roof, power walls, surf boards and not-a-flame throwers.

Soooooooooo tempted to write something about this.

Think would be wise to just leave it alone.

But serious question: What do you all think would happen with the broader short seller narrative and press coverage of it if this fund collapsed?
Nothing special. Narrative and press coverage has nothing to do with "shorts". Retail shorts are useful idiots here, and used as activists. Current narrative serves to suppress SP and to discredit Musk so when he removed the media coverage would be controllable.
Main point is the introduction of "independent directors" in 2017 (?) and the narrative around.
Starting point is Musk's success of procuring of Solar City while rising and strengthening his steak in Tesla. It takes a while to clean up the noise, but you can do it.

TSLA dropped significantly last Week. PMS will tell you it is 100% due to Elon's tweet to the sec. The reality is TSLA dropped because the judge reviewing the Elon/sec settlement has asked for a joint letter form Elon and the sec that justifies the settlement, essentially putting the deal in jeopardy. Did the stock go down or up because of the effect of Elon's tweet? There is no proof of that. Here is what happened:
- Sec sues Elon, TSLA drops 15%
- Deal reached, TSLA increases 17%
- Sec opens door to possibly retracting deal, TSLA decreases 17%

I look forward to Q3 Conference Call and my focus will be on M3 deliveries and profitability. Cheers.

Can I reply to myself? Lame, but here goes:

Using my reasoning above, acceptance by Judge of SEC/Tesla settlement as is should increase TSLA by 17%.
(Is there the possibility that the Judge could accept settlement but reduce Tesla penalty ($ and/or Board restrictions)? I understand that this would work both ways, if potential for reduced penalty of settlement, there is potential for increased penalty.)

I'm wondering if the Judge is waiting for October 18th prior to making her decision. If MbS announces a major deal with Tesla (anything over $5B in value) this would certainly help Elon's stance on his "funding secured" comment.

• Disagree
Reactions: CorneliusXX
A simple check will show 2nd Gen Roadster at $50k deposit and Semi at $20k deposit. In addition to M3, deposits are also carried on MS, MX, solar roof, power walls, surf boards and not-a-flame throwers.

That simple check missed a few key points though.
Founder's series Roadsters deposit is $250k. Base Semi deposits started at $5k and changed to $20k shortly thereafter (November). Founder's series Semi deposit is $200k.

(And who knows if anyone has pre-reserved a Y or pick-up at full price)

Status
Not open for further replies.