Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I politely disagree. So far I could not find a single argument where Munro criticized the 3 and been proven correct.

• Build quality, he teared down an early model that was old when he worked on it. So it was just not correct to call it bad unless he had a current VIN. Not to mention that I hear not have seen any gaps since a while
  • Criticized the chassis to be too heavy and stiff, argued useless waste of material. Well the safety test ratings, handling, consumption and other talk a very different talk
  • Critics around you can't escape from the back door as no manual door handle exists. Well thats with most cars the case and frankly said from what I have seen from the crash test the safest place is inside and not outside of the 3
All other I heard have been debunked as well.

As some of you know a German Engineering company did a tear down of a 3 here in Germany as well and they are experts as well.Actually they did have 2 cars. They did not found the points Munro found bad to be an issue. No mention about build quality, weight, stiffness ect only that they are pretty impressed and found some really smart solutions applied.

So in short I believe Munro is heavily overrated if it comes to EV tear downs. His main problem is the perception to compare an EV to an ICE. This he did with all EVs he looked at and its an apple to oranges comparison. Also I doubt that he understands a lot of the energy concept of an EV beside the mechanics of it.

Also the entire story with him forced to stop talking positively and the UBS connection smells really fishy.

He may be good with ICEs but for EVs he is just not the qualified person. He should be ignored in that respect as EVs are not his field of expertise.

Think about it he sold a report for I believe it was $70.000 and later said he was wrong with it.

I have had this thought for a while .. why don't one of the big name holders also hire someone like Munro and do their own study and publish their results ... too busy lending their shares to short maybe ?

Anyway happy customers and word of mouth might be the best option but will take longer than normal ...

Fun fact on FSD (in case anyone claims he's abandoning it). Did you know Elon Musk co-created OpenAI in 2015? (A non-profit research company, free AI software standard for developing safe Artificial Intelligence solutions.) In Feb 2018, he left the organization to pursue his own AI solutions at Tesla (while still funding OpenAI). Elon Musk, who has sounded the alarm on AI, leaves the organization he co-founded to make it safer

FSD is in his DNA, it ain't going away, human drivers are the problem.

Buy order for another 20 executed at $254. Hurray?......

Fun fact on FSD (in case anyone claims he's abandoning it). Did you know Elon Musk co-created OpenAI in 2015? (A non-profit research company, free AI software standard for developing safe Artificial Intelligence solutions.) In Feb 2018, he left the organization to pursue his own AI solutions at Tesla (while still funding OpenAI). Elon Musk, who has sounded the alarm on AI, leaves the organization he co-founded to make it safer

FSD is in his DNA, it ain't going away, human drivers are the problem.
Agreed. He is passionate about this.

I politely disagree. So far I could not find a single argument where Munro criticized the 3 and been proven correct.

• Build quality, he teared down an early model that was old when he worked on it. So it was just not correct to call it bad unless he had a current VIN. Not to mention that I hear not have seen any gaps since a while
  • Criticized the chassis to be too heavy and stiff, argued useless waste of material. Well the safety test ratings, handling, consumption and other talk a very different talk
  • Critics around you can't escape from the back door as no manual door handle exists. Well thats with most cars the case and frankly said from what I have seen from the crash test the safest place is inside and not outside of the 3
All other I heard have been debunked as well.

As some of you know a German Engineering company did a tear down of a 3 here in Germany as well and they are experts as well.Actually they did have 2 cars. They did not found the points Munro found bad to be an issue. No mention about build quality, weight, stiffness ect only that they are pretty impressed and found some really smart solutions applied.

So in short I believe Munro is heavily overrated if it comes to EV tear downs. His main problem is the perception to compare an EV to an ICE. This he did with all EVs he looked at and its an apple to oranges comparison. Also I doubt that he understands a lot of the energy concept of an EV beside the mechanics of it.

Also the entire story with him forced to stop talking positively and the UBS connection smells really fishy.

He may be good with ICEs but for EVs he is just not the qualified person. He should be ignored in that respect as EVs are not his field of expertise.

Think about it he sold a report for I believe it was $70.000 and later said he was wrong with it.

I don't recall the german engineers commenting on the chassis. Both Munro and the germans agree on the great electronics and motors. If you watch the video you wil see that his criticisms are well within his area of expertise. That doesn't make him right on all 200+ points, but he is an expert.

And many of the first M3 were of surprisingly crappy construction for a low volume car. Tesla deserved criticism for letting those cars get to customers. But I don't think that today anyone believes that current production has assembly/fit problems.

What was have learned from the chassis and the GA line failure is that Tesla is not been very good at mechanical and industrial engineers so far. This not only shows in the M3 teardown, but the fact that Fremont has too many production workers and too many robots.

I have to disagree, to the point that I almost want to ignore this without replying.

Munro was criticizing the chassis been "over engineered" and is hard and costly to produce, comparing to common industry practice. I remember he mentioned the Model 3 white chassis is hundreds pounds heavier than it needs to be(to achieve bare minimum 5 star rating I assume).

But this is how Model 3 gets the best crash test score ever, I consider it as a huge engineering achievement, and it shows they really really care about their cars(and their customer's lives), and the company is not driven by bean counters(which is true in most other OEMs).

**Edit**: typos...

Last edited:
I have bad news on that front......
The black, darn, I knew it.
I have to disagree, to the point that I almost want to ignore this without replying.

Munro was criticizing the chassis been "over engineered" and is hard and costly to produce, comparing to common industry practice. I remember he mentioned the Model 3 white chassis is hundreds pounds heavier than it needs to be(to achieve bear minimum 5 star rating I assume).

But this is how Model 3 gets the best crash test score ever, I consider it as a huge engineering achievement, and it shows they really really care about their cars(and their customer's lives), and the company is not driven by bean counters(which is true in most other OEMs).
I just learned recently how silly the 5 star system is. There is such a huge range of safety levels inside of that 5th star.

I don't recall the german engineers commenting on the chassis. Both Munro and the germans agree on the great electronics and motors. If you watch the video you wil see that his criticisms are well within his area of expertise. That doesn't make him right on all 200+ points, but he is an expert.

And many of the first M3 were of surprisingly crappy construction for a low volume car. Tesla deserved criticism for letting those cars get to customers. But I don't think that today anyone believes that current production has assembly/fit problems.

1. There is a long German document about the Tear down that I have read and the Chassi is a part of it
2. If you believe a Chassis of an ICE can be compared to a Chassis of an EV than you make the same mistake Munro did
3. It does not matter if its right or wrong to release early Modells to customers but it does if you criticize an early produced car at a time where you could have reviews a current one. Thats intentional misleading.
4. Points where he is in think with the German engineers make the other points where he was not not more right or wrong. There is no correlation between the two.

Munro has proven more than one time that he has no clue about EVs

It's too bad more bulls refuse to pay attention to the Munro video on Bloomberg. It really is generally positive, but is very critical of the chassis design for manufacturing. What was have learned from the chassis and the GA line failure is that Tesla is not been very good at mechanical and industrial engineers so far. This not only shows in the M3 teardown, but the fact that Fremont has too many production workers and too many robots.

These areas of expertise are furthest from Musk's experience, and he really has caused some unforced errors. But these areas are also fixable, unlike major errors in product design or core technologies.

So doing the way everyone else does it would make for better crash protection? Everyone else has mastered an EV platform?

Maybe Munro will be eating a bit more crow again?

Fire Away!

pinto.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.