Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be really nice for consumers, in fact, to be able to charge at any charging network. I don't really like the proprietary stuff. A waste of resources and time. Was a good riddance when all phone charging adapters started using USB standard.

Agreed, this proliferation of standards is annoying. I have an idea: let's come up with one, single new standard for everything!

xkcd: Standards

Simplifying S&X on all levels and resources to put more focus on 3?
I think it's as he says, to simplify production, so they can make, and sell, more S&X's.

Maybe after this 3rd qtr. Elon be likin' makin' money and wants 2018 to be a killer year so there can be no question that Tesla is self financed. The best way to shout out the doubters is to walk the talk.

I hope at least ...

Reactions: Lessmog
Well, he's convincingly humble there about how wrong he was, I'll give him that. Shame they didn't run this earlier win the day, could have been the catalyst for 300.

That blonde lady in the green dress, wow!

I reiterate a BUY on green dress.
But not a Real Green Dress, that's cruel!

edit: now try to get that song out of your head, I dare ya!

Last edited:
It'd be really nice for consumers, in fact, to be able to charge at any charging network. I don't really like the proprietary stuff. A waste of resources and time. Was a good riddance when all phone charging adapters started using USB standard.
Which USB standard? 2, 3, or C? (I vote for C).

Right, but the e-Tron is also atrociously inefficient. By my calculations, 125kW charging(from the VWAG network) on the e-Tron would give a theoretical peak charging rate of 277 miles per hour. My S 75 typically real-world peaks at around 333, making the e-Tron 20% slower in terms of peak range added per hour.

We have yet to see what other cars using the network can manage(and even these numbers are all future-looking claims without evidence).
And to pile on I see charging speeds of 488 miles per hour in my 3.

Well, TECHNICALLY this is what VWAG is planning to do with their e-tron (And other cars) launch. In addition to their proprietary network, they will have one card direct access to something like 200 USA/CA networks. Won't be free at of course, unless it's a free station, but one access. That would be nice.

Right, but the e-Tron is also atrociously inefficient. By my calculations, 125kW charging(from the VWAG network) on the e-Tron would give a theoretical peak charging rate of 277 miles per hour. My S 75 typically real-world peaks at around 333, making the e-Tron 20% slower in terms of peak range added per hour.

We have yet to see what other cars using the network can manage(and even these numbers are all future-looking claims without evidence).
They've reported in their more technical documents that at 125kw full charge in 30 minutes. Devil is in the details though.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
And will it have the capability to charge as fast? The beauty of the Supercharger network is that each and every Tesla has been built to use it to maximum advantage. I don't know if that's the case with Electrify America. Does it have the capability to fast charge each of the BEV's it's supposed to charge? And what about maintenance cost and frequency, plus the price to charge? How many will have solar panels? I think people will discover that charging an electric car is not the same as filling your car with gas.

I personally think it's a HUGE advantage for Tesla.

Oh, it absolutely is.

To directly answer your questions:

1. Depends on your definition of fast charge. AFAIK there'll be one CHAdeMO at each site, and a mix of 50, 150, and 350 kW CCS. So, if a car has CHAdeMO or CCS, it should be able to charge it. However, many cars won't be able to take the station's full power.
2. Who knows about maintenance... cost to charge, as I understand, is meant to be comparable to gasoline costs, which is much higher than Supercharging.
3. Considering that this is a compliance charging network, I have to think none.

So Elon pulling earnings forward a week has caught me in the unfortunate position of having sold 295 weeklies on my 4000 shares this week for some cash flow.. not expecting any runup this early (wasnt going to take any covered call risks on the actual earnings report). Anyone have suggestions for recovering from this predicament? Im going to be kicking myself pretty hard for holding steady the last 8 years and blowing all the gains missing this earnings ==(

The shorts are turning on their own: Why Citron Is Wrong on Tesla

Wahlman's claiming that Left is just being an opportunist and that he's jumping ship due to the threat of a profitable Q3. He think's it's just a temporary blip and all part of the show. wahlman and spiegel are still in denial. I'd love to see the looks on pablo santos and montana skeptic's faces as they realize their potemkin village is collapsing!

That means, the retail shorts haven't capitulated yet. Tomorrow will probably be a holding pattern or a slow SP rise until earnings.

IMO the quant shorts will be gone roughly two milliseconds after the technicals have changed, regardless of what Left says.

For the fundamental and ideological shorts it will take (much) more than a day of price action and a "betrayal" of Left to extricate themselves from their echo chamber and to face the cognitive dissonance between their thesis and reality.

Many of them are probably still profitable and might be thinking about shorting at higher levels after the ER, which earnings release must clearly expose the fraud for what it is.

I'd love to see a distribution-volume chart on short positions, i.e. how many shares are shorted at different price points. We see the total number of shares shorted from time to time, but that does not give the full picture. I wonder if there are many shorts still holding their position back from the 2 figure days. Or did most of them cover already and re-entered at higher price points ? Even just an average price point of all short positions would be informative.

The histogram would give us info on how many ideological shorts are there (those holding from very low price points) and how many just riding the volatility waves at prices above $250.

• Helpful
Reactions: Thumper and humbaba
You know, in writing my nasty (sorry) response to Tivoboy, I got to thinking, each of these "Tesla killers" are the first ones off of the line for Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, et al, and we all remember the difficulties that Tesla had with the first S's and X's. Given the problems that all of these major manufacturers have had with their ICE cars, which have made their dealers a lot of money, can you imagine the challenges they're going to have with their first BEV's?

Many people expect these new BEV's are going to be great right out of the box because of who is making them, but I think they will be in for a surprise. All of their service people will need training. It's going to be some tough going for them in the first few years.

All of which adds to the competitive advantage that Tesla already has.

Status
Not open for further replies.