Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not denying the rise of nationalism and autocracy being more popular, just not sure billionaires are so hegemonious.

Open to new data.

Yeah, so I found this study pretty persuasive:

"Our new, systematic study of the 100 wealthiest Americans indicates that Buffett, Gates, Bloomberg et al are not at all typical. Most of the wealthiest US billionaires – who are much less visible and less reported on – more closely resemble Charles Koch."​

The fundamental asymmetry comes from self-interest in seeing their (highly unpopular) policies succeed:

'The answer is simple: billionaires who favor unpopular, ultraconservative economic policies, and work actively to advance them (that is, most politically active billionaires) stay almost entirely silent about those issues in public. This is a deliberate choice. Billionaires have plenty of media access, but most of them choose not to say anything at all about the policy issues of the day. They deliberately pursue a strategy of what we call “stealth politics”.'​

They arrive to specific numbers:

"over the 10-year period we have studied, 97% of the wealthiest billionaires have said nothing at all about social security policy. Nothing about benefit levels, cost-of-living adjustments, or privatization. (Also nothing about the popular idea of shoring up social security finances by removing the low “cap” on income subject to payroll taxes and making the wealthy pay more.) How can voters know that most billionaires are working to cut their social security benefits?"​

Or the estate tax:

"Or consider the estate tax. Our study ferreted out quiet activity by 12 of the wealthiest billionaires – including the Kochs and (perhaps unsurprisingly) several wealthy inheritors of the Walton and Mars fortunes – aimed specifically at cutting or abolishing the estate tax. They gave money to policy-oriented organizations seeking to abolish the tax, or founded such organizations, and served on their boards. Not a single billionaire took such activity to support the estate tax."​

In short: billionaires supporting ultraconservative policies know those are unpopular and are hiding their activities. Liberals are proud of their views and don't hide it - even when they do little in terms of supporting those policies effectively.

The result is a slanted "impression" voters get via the media, plus significantly more stealthy financial support for conservative policies.

And massively more aerodynamic, which matters more than weight on the highway.

tiny motor

so tiny, it gives the car the highway range enhancing feature of a top speed expected to be limited to 100 km/hr (~62 miles/hour) according to Electrek's article. it looks like it's meant to be a city car primarily with its limited highway capability.

I don't understand why all this analysis is ignoring that already Tesla has a Murdoch on the board ? Is there anything more important to Trump & Republicans than Fox News ?

You’re clearly misinformed. Murdoch sons are 180 from their father politically and strongly believe in green technology (although this son has a slimy past tied to a UK newspaper).

In any event, important for Tesla’s (and others) board to hold multiple viewpoints.....that’s the marketplace.

This stock is bananas. Didn't hardly bat an eye when macros tanked late in the day today. Some days it magnifies macros, some days it ignores it completely. Max pain was ignored completely today too.

Here's hoping I find a decent entry point before deliveries (and that deliveries doesn't end up being negative).
During major news events, MM turn off algos that follow the market. This allows for more organic trading and stock movement

When people talk about the macros, what is this in layman's terms? I have looked in to max pain and it makes some form of sence.

Now on to macros

Macroeconomic environment. Usually when people talking about it they're referring to the major indices' reactions to macroeconomic factors, such as the Dow, S&P and NASDAQ. I usually measure Tesla by performance relative to NASDAQ. Some compare it specifically to the FAANGs.

When people talk about the macros, what is this in layman's terms? I have looked in to max pain and it makes some form of sence.

Now on to macros
They are referring to the commonly-reported indexes, mainly the Nasdaq, Dow Industrials and S&P 500. Being listed on the Nasdaq and perceived as a tech company, TSLA often follows trends of the Nasdaq most closely. But then sometimes, oftentimes, it doesn't.

• Informative
Reactions: JollyRoger
Tiny motor does not mean incredibly more efficient at cruising speed.

You're misinterpreting.

They key is that with a tiny motor, you can't go fast. If you can't go fast, then you simply can't face high aerodynamic drag. Sort of like how the 1909 Baker Electric had about 110 miles of range - because it did so extremely slowly, compensating for its boxy shape and primitive battery and motor tech ;)

Tiny motor does not mean incredibly more efficient at cruising speed.

my point was that its cruising speed tops out at 62 mph.

what's more, I don't think any of the global rating standards (EPA, NEDC, etc.) are limited to highway cruising.

fwiw, the motor is so tiny, it's reported to be 47 hp. this car does not have "chill" mode, it has, "you still on" mode.

OT :
You’re clearly misinformed. Murdoch sons are 180 from their father politically and strongly believe in green technology (although this son has a slimy past tied to a UK newspaper).

In any event, important for Tesla’s (and others) board to hold multiple viewpoints.....that’s the marketplace.
Misinformed ? Not really.

You can see I've posted Newscorp page on climate change years back and asked why is Fox pushing climate denialism. The thing is - most of the world's conservatives actually believe in AGW and support policies to confront it - whether it is Macron or May or Modi or Merkel (oh, a lot of Ms there !). Its only in US and some other alt-right places (Poland, Hungary, Russia etc) that climate denialism has taken hold.

What Robert Murdoch actually believes, who knows. He just knows its good business to push denialism here in the US.

Reactions: SpaceCash
OT :

Misinformed ? Not really.

You can see I've posted Newscorp page on climate change years back and asked why is Fox pushing climate denialism. The thing is - most of the world's conservatives actually believe in AGW and support policies to confront it - whether it is Macron or May or Modi or Merkel (oh, a lot of Ms there !). Its only in US and some other alt-right places (Poland, Hungary, Russia etc) that climate denialism has taken hold.

What Robert Murdoch actually believes, who knows. He just knows its good business to push denialism here in the US.

Not the son's viewpoints...that was my point.

I Ignore the dad....Rupert is not on the Board.

Reactions: Fact Checking
Status
Not open for further replies.