Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA options help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm new to the land of trading options but I think I have a good grasp of them on the basic level. That being said, I don't know how the following makes any sense:

Questrade is showing me CALLS for Jan 18th 2019 with a strike price of $20 and only at a cost of ~$12. These calls are being traded, there's volume, bid sizes and ask sizes > 0. There are various CALLS around a similar price range.

Now my understanding was that I could purchase 100 of these for $12 x 100 = $1200. I could then immediately exercise these options (is this wrong?) and purchase 100 shares of TSLA at a total cost of $20 x 100 = $2000. I could then sell these shares at ~$268 each for a grand total of $26800. Minus costs (ignoring exercise fees as they're nearly negligible here) and I'd be left with a profit of $23 000 ??

What am I missing? Are these options simply not actually available? I see other calls for Jan 2019 that seem far more realistic like $72 dollar cost for a $230 strike price.

Cheers and thanks for the help

Hello, I'm new to the land of trading options but I think I have a good grasp of them on the basic level. That being said, I don't know how the following makes any sense:

Questrade is showing me CALLS for Jan 18th 2019 with a strike price of $20 and only at a cost of ~$12. These calls are being traded, there's volume, bid sizes and ask sizes > 0. There are various CALLS around a similar price range.

Now my understanding was that I could purchase 100 of these for $12 x 100 = $1200. I could then immediately exercise these options (is this wrong?) and purchase 100 shares of TSLA at a total cost of $20 x 100 = $2000. I could then sell these shares at ~$268 each for a grand total of $26800. Minus costs (ignoring exercise fees as they're nearly negligible here) and I'd be left with a profit of $23 000 ??

What am I missing? Are these options simply not actually available? I see other calls for Jan 2019 that seem far more realistic like $72 dollar cost for a $230 strike price.

Cheers and thanks for the help
Are these perhaps TSLA1 calls, which are actually converted Solar City calls? If so, they only deliver 11 shares, not 100.

Reactions: neroden
You're probably seeing TSLA1 calls -- conversions of SCTY calls. $20 means $181.8181... per share, $12 means $109.0909... per share, and the calls are for 11 shares each.

So you'd be buying 11 shares at $290.9090... each.