Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tunein Radio and missing stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive used Tunein for years. I spend half the year in China and I can listen to a lot of my favorite Chinese stations here and my favorite American stations there with it. However, I cannot seem to listen to any of my Chinese stations via Tunein in my Tesla. They all do not show up in the search and they are missing from my favorites when I sign in though my account. The only way I can listen is to connect my phone. Any idea whats going on and if there is a way to fix it?

The TuneIn app needs a serious update....

Tesla just never seems to update this app or the Slacker app.

This is preventing the owners that have Premium accounts to take advantage of their subscriptions.

I have both the Slacker Premium account and the TuneIn Pro account.... But very few of the advantages of these sub's have made their way into the Tesla versions of the app. They could also be prevented due to licensing issues... Who know....

Seems very disappointing that Tesla has not made much effort into advancing these services or adding additional services. For as much time I spend in the car, the sound systems/steaming options mean allot to me.... As much as I know that I can use my phone for the things that are missing (PRO account / Premium Account / SiriusXM), I just dislike having to fiddle with the phone while driving....

I contacted Tunein directly and this is their reply:

"Thank you for your email, would be happy to help out. Few things to note about Tesla and many other third party consumer electronics/home devices that have a TuneIn integration like Tesla:

- while our mobile apps and their respective devices they are installed on and tunein.com web player can play many different kinds of streams, most auto/home devices can only play mp3 streams, some AAC, but not many, so the number of stations surfacing or playable on devices that are not our Android/iOS/Windows 10 mobile apps and web player is already cut down.

- Tesla filters out any streams over 128kbs to preserve onboard bandwith, so that's yet another filter being in place

- Some stations geolock their streams and restrict them to certain areas only, for example some stations only allow to be streamed in their country of origin and IP-block any internet streams. Tesla runs lots of their traffic through abroad servers, and this could "trick" the station's IP geolock to not serve you the station as it thinks your vehicle is in another country than the one you really are in

- Specific to Tesla: Perceived inability to play PLS (playlist streams), and HTTPS streams (only HTTP support), but HTTPS is swiftly becoming the new and more secure industry standard streaming format that everyone is adopting.

Thats said, I can check every station one by one for you to tell you the unavailability cause for each station on your Tesla, but each station will have its own reason for not being available, and some may even be unclear why they are unavailable as Tesla may have many other limitations we're unaware of. We can explain and troubleshoot easily anything not playing on platforms we directly maintain and develop our selves like our mobile apps and tunein.com web player, but we can't control what Tesla does with their media players.

So could you please send the URL and exact name of the stations you are referring to? If it's too many, even some sample ones are fine. You can search for the station on Tunein.com on the web and copy the URL from your browser’s address bar. If you are unable to find the station URL, please send us the country, city and website of the station.

I look forward to hearing from you - thank you!"