Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn off on it's own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I have had my used MS 75 for 2 months now. It has 80K miles on it and it is the best car I have ever owned. In the short time I have had it the car has just shut off on me about 5 times. All of the times it has done it I was sitting in the car parked with the AC on for 30-45 mins on my lunch break. It was between 85 and 95 degrees on those days. Both screens turn off including the AC and radio of course. After about 2-3 mins the car comes back on by itself and appears to work normally after. Has anyone experienced this and would know what is going on here? My worry is if it would do this while I am driving down the freeway I would be screwed. The car was checked out by Tesla a month ago and they found nothing wrong. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Car does shut itself off if you are sitting in it, AC and radio on, but don't touch any dials or pedals. Put your foot on the break (or touch the screen) and it turns back on.

Are you saying it turns off, and won't turn on no matter what you do until 2-3 m minutes have passed?

That sounds like an MCU crash and reboot. It'd be seriously scary, but you can actually drive just fine through one of those (though you won't have a speedometer or Nav or any other help driving while it reboots, but you'll still have full power and brakes and steering.)

Try doing a deep reboot (steering wheel buttons and Brake pedal while in Park,) but I'm guessing it won't matter. A firmware update stands a good chance of fixing it, when you get one.

Car does shut itself off if you are sitting in it, AC and radio on, but don't touch any dials or pedals. Put your foot on the break (or touch the screen) and it turns back on.

Are you saying it turns off, and won't turn on no matter what you do until 2-3 m minutes have passed?

Yes, the car shuts off and will not turn on no matter what I do. It does turn on by itself after a few minutes but the last time it happened I had to do the steering wheel and break pedal reboot to get the car to turn on again. I have idled more then an hour without this happening and I have idled for 20 mins and had this happen. It is random.

That sounds like an MCU crash and reboot. It'd be seriously scary, but you can actually drive just fine through one of those (though you won't have a speedometer or Nav or any other help driving while it reboots, but you'll still have full power and brakes and steering.)

Try doing a deep reboot (steering wheel buttons and Brake pedal while in Park,) but I'm guessing it won't matter. A firmware update stands a good chance of fixing it, when you get one.

I don't think it is an MCU crash as the car just turns off. Nothing on the screens for several minutes. It is not rebooting on it's own. I don't think I could drive the car like this it would just coast and I would have no power steering or breaks. Not a good thing if it did it while I was driving.

Yes, the car shuts off and will not turn on no matter what I do. It does turn on by itself after a few minutes but the last time it happened I had to do the steering wheel and break pedal reboot to get the car to turn on again. I have idled more then an hour without this happening and I have idled for 20 mins and had this happen. It is random.
Then I agree with post #3

Normally if you leave a passenger in the car it will stay on for bout 30 minutes and then shut off. The passenger can turn it on again by touching the screen. So the shutting off after 30-35 minutes sounds totally normal. It's the not being able to restart it that is bad. Certainly hitting the brake when in the driver's seat (normal turn on) should always work.

The car will run fine with a black screen, providing it's just an MCU computer problem. Other computers control driving. You can actually use the scroll wheel reset while driving.

Normally if you leave a passenger in the car it will stay on for bout 30 minutes and then shut off. The passenger can turn it on again by touching the screen. So the shutting off after 30-35 minutes sounds totally normal. It's the not being able to restart it that is bad. Certainly hitting the brake when in the driver's seat (normal turn on) should always work.

The car will run fine with a black screen, providing it's just an MCU computer problem. Other computers control driving. You can actually use the scroll wheel reset while driving.

OK, good to know. Good info. I will try getting out of the car next time locking it and open the car again and see if it starts. If not something is wrong for sure. If it happens while driving I will jump out of the car and post from the hospital. Ha ha ha.