Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal operation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. Another 2018 owner could answer, or ask via a service ticket.

The first owner's manual I downloaded was 2020.4:
Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 5.40.30 PM.png

Reactions: E90alex
Weird. In a test, turning off Auto Cancel restored the 3 blink feature. Then I re-enabled Auto Cancel, so half press again starts blinking until it cancels or I do.
This is in the description:

Tesla's 'Auto Cancel' Turn Signals and How They Work​

When Tesla's Auto Cancel feature is enabled, the distinction between the soft press and click practically disappears. [...] This is a much more functional (and safer) way to drive since the blinker will only turn off once the turn is completed.
For me, that second sentence is untrue. Auto cancel was always turning off the signal when I was in the turn lane which IMO is unsafe.

Good question. Another 2018 owner could answer, or ask via a service ticket.
No need. I just RTFM on the screen. It says I can cancel the turn signal by the same direction. But it could have made it a little clearer. But I just now figured it all out.

Here is what I just discovered and never knew before:

Light push up or down for 3 blinks that MUST self-cancel out. No way to cancel. This must timeout. Mainly only good for a lane change.

Hard push up or for a turn signal that will only self-cancel in a turn OR very lightly push up or down in the same direction to cancel. If using the same force as selecting, it will NOT then cancel.

IMO, it would have been better if it required the same force to cancel as to select.

Well, now I have the entire thing figured out, but it is way too critical in the light force required to cancel the full turn signal. I will have to get used to that. But at least now I know how it is done.

-Don- Reno, NV

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer