TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Turning Radius

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by rpskanter, Dec 21, 2016.

1. rpskanter

rpskanter Member

Is anyone else finding this turning radius a bit cumbersome to park? I am a very experienced driver, and been driving a Cayenne S--so also a very large SUV. I have not once pulled into a spot on the first turn. I just looked up the specs that say it is a 40.7 FOOT turning radius. That is absurdly large. I don't understand why that is so? Any engineers out there want to explain this part to me?

2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Think it is 40.7 ft turning circle, not radius, or roughly the same as the 39 ft Cayenne turning circle. 1.7 ft probably feels different, and will take some getting used to.

3. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

I haven't measured, but I try the same turnaround in the X vs our "old" 2014 Honda Odyssey and turning radius and they feel about the same.

I checked online and diameter seems to be:
    Model X 40.7'
    Odysseys 36.7'

I can't notice much practical difference between the two.

4. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Do you have the steering in Sport? At slow speeds its not a very good turning radius and the steering wheel can actually be turned more if forced. Comfort and standard do not do this.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. rpskanter

rpskanter Member

I do have it in Sport. I'll try one of the other settings and see if that makes it easier. Thanks!!!