Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tutorial: how to replace Model X headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

so around 2 months ago my driver side low beam was gone. Message Tesla and they wanted $2800 CAD for ONE headlamp replacement.
I searched online and found no tutorial on how to replace it (i guess most people are rich or are still under warranty) so i decided to dig in to find out how to replace it.

I purchased a "new" headlight on eBay for only $370 CAD. On the description it said brand new but i think it was refurbished. Nonetheless i was satisfy with the product because it was cheaper than many "used" headlight i could find on eBay.

Tesla Service manual online gave detail description of how to do it, but it require to take off the whole bumper which i didn't want to, therefore i dig in further and found a video online about removing the front bumper to access to the headlight. That video was great but it was missing a few point hence i made a new video and hopefully can help others in the future.

What you need:
Gloves
Plastic Pry Tool (to pry the trim if needed, and to help guide the bumper tab back to reinstall the bumper)
T20 screw driver (shorter the better)
10MM Socket
Flat head screw driver (to push those black plastic rivet out)

MIGHT need JB Plastic Weld (i broke one of the bumper tab while pulling it out, but the JB plastic weld fixed it in less than 10 mins)

Video is below, sorry for the bad quality as this is the first video for any kind of tutorial i have done online. Hopefully the video can help some of the fellow here.

NOTE: do it at your own risk.